Video: Trump to Law Enforcement Gestapos ‘Please Don’t Be Too Nice’

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wTk9_9IRS4

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-hayes-presses-gop-rep-do-you-support-the-presidents-call-for-police-brutality/
    Chris Hayes Presses GOP Rep.: ‘Do You Support the President’s Call for Police Brutality?’

During President Trump‘s speech on immigration and MS-13 today, he told law enforcement officers he doesn’t think they should be “too nice” to criminals. Chris Hayes pressed a Republican congressman––who was in attendance at the event––on that tonight.

After playing the President’s remarks, Hayes asked Rep. Lee Zeldin, “Do you support the president’s call for police brutality?”

Zeldin said he doesn’t, but he also talked about murders in the area believed to have been carried out by MS-13. The Trump administration has been putting some focus this week on cracking down on the violent gang.

Zeldin added that law enforcement officials should be “following local rules and regulations and understanding people are innocent until proven guilty.”

Hayes brought up how the Suffolk County PD indirectly rebuked the President’s remarks and asked Zeldin if Trump’s remarks were appropriate. Zeldin said, “No. I mean, I definitely have a different style than the President.”

Hayes again asked, “Was it appropriate to tell police officers to engage in brutality?”

Zeldin replied, “No. I don’t––I can’t agree with that.”

Hayes recalled the case of Freddie Gray and the circumstances of his death while in police custody to say that the comments from the President could certainly be taken as “hurtful”:

“What seems important as someone who is a lawmaker or someone who is a president and enforcing the law is to understand that engaging in protecting people from MS-13 and prosecuting crimes does not necessitate the police engaging in extra-judicial violence. That seems like an important line to establish and that one doesn’t have anything to do with the other because we’re a nation of laws and we pursue people like MS-13 lawfully.”

Zeldin conceded “you can’t play devil’s advocate” on this and reiterated, “If I was up there, I wouldn’t have said it.”

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Suffolk county a lot people are staunch Trump supporters in this county he was able to turn it from a blue county into a red county. Brentwood has a huge hispanic population mostly from central America so much that most of the elementary schools subjects there teachers only teach English cause most of the kids only know Spanish. He is just trying put fear into people in that community with ICE and the growing MS 13.

Trump is just trying to build up different distractions from Russia so the media talk about everything else but his emails,meeting,contacts with Russia.

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone help me out..
    im out here gettin money havin thangs jus like years past..

so im too busy to keep up..

but uhhhh..
    besides the dog and pony show
    besides the rhetoric..

whats changed??
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wTk9_9IRS4

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-hayes-presses-gop-rep-do-you-support-the-presidents-call-for-police-brutality/
    Chris Hayes Presses GOP Rep.: ‘Do You Support the President’s Call for Police Brutality?’

During President Trump‘s speech on immigration and MS-13 today, he told law enforcement officers he doesn’t think they should be “too nice” to criminals. Chris Hayes pressed a Republican congressman––who was in attendance at the event––on that tonight.

After playing the President’s remarks, Hayes asked Rep. Lee Zeldin, “Do you support the president’s call for police brutality?”

Zeldin said he doesn’t, but he also talked about murders in the area believed to have been carried out by MS-13. The Trump administration has been putting some focus this week on cracking down on the violent gang.

Zeldin added that law enforcement officials should be “following local rules and regulations and understanding people are innocent until proven guilty.”

Hayes brought up how the Suffolk County PD indirectly rebuked the President’s remarks and asked Zeldin if Trump’s remarks were appropriate. Zeldin said, “No. I mean, I definitely have a different style than the President.”

Hayes again asked, “Was it appropriate to tell police officers to engage in brutality?”

Zeldin replied, “No. I don’t––I can’t agree with that.”

Hayes recalled the case of Freddie Gray and the circumstances of his death while in police custody to say that the comments from the President could certainly be taken as “hurtful”:

“What seems important as someone who is a lawmaker or someone who is a president and enforcing the law is to understand that engaging in protecting people from MS-13 and prosecuting crimes does not necessitate the police engaging in extra-judicial violence. That seems like an important line to establish and that one doesn’t have anything to do with the other because we’re a nation of laws and we pursute people like MS-13 lawfully.”

Zeldin conceded “you can’t play devil’s advocate” on this and reiterated, “If I was up there, I wouldn’t have said it.”

Do u. Support the presidents call for police brutaliy
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone help me out..
    im out here gettin money havin thangs jus like years past..

so im too busy to keep up..

but uhhhh..
    besides the dog and pony show
    besides the rhetoric..

whats changed??

He's only been in office 6 months. It takes time to push things through. But even in this speech, he himself mentioned that he overturned the order that Obama passed to stop law enforcement from tooling up like soldiers the way they did in Ferguson. I think he also cancelled out those restrictions the justice department put on some police departments due to their past history. Lastly, I think he's gone back on the federal use of for profit prisons. So basically, the few things that Obama did that directly affect blacks the most, Trump has already cut that ? out.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article164292502.html
    In his speech, Trump said laws are “stacked” against law enforcement, which make their jobs more difficult.

“For years and years, [laws have] been made to protect the criminal,” Trump said. “Totally protect the criminal, not the officers. You do something wrong, you’re in more jeopardy than they are. These laws are stacked against you. We’re changing those laws.”

There have been numerous, highly publicized cases of police officers shooting or brutalizing unarmed African-American citizens, which has eroded public trust in law enforcement among black communities, according to a Pew Research Center poll.

Officers rarely face jail time after these incidents.

In 2015, Freddie Grey’s spine was severed and he died in a Baltimore police van after being arrested. The officers involved were acquitted of all charges.

In June, Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted of second-degree manslaughter after shooting Philando Castile during a routine traffic stop. Castile had an open carry permit for a gun and informed the officer he was carrying it.

... if the police don't like laws, why are they police? The point is to enforce the law and abide by it, id they aren't law enforcers then they are paid state regulators and executioners, not police.

Cops just like having that power. They break the law regularly.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a.mann wrote: »

With all do respect,when it comes to speaking on Trump, Tariq needs to "Flexx" his ass in seat

He said more than enough

He and many others(including the cadre of smart dumb ? here) grossly miscalculated and thought this ? was a joke to let this inexperienced openly racist ignorant pierce of ? , to hold the most powerful position in the world

https://youtu.be/H1vpV6_F6GY

no it's not a "joke" and it wasn't miscalculated, we knew it would be like this that's the point. The white supremacist

are now out in the open in plain sight and that's a good thing. You want to have a declared enemy,meaning you want

to know who your enemies are also everybody has to feel the brunt of Trump's ? not just blacks,Mexicans,

Indians/Middle Eastern's,? ,transgenders. The only thing that would be different under Hilary's regime is it

wouldn't be out in the open.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    a.mann wrote: »

With all do respect,when it comes to speaking on Trump, Tariq needs to "Flexx" his ass in seat

He said more than enough

He and many others(including the cadre of smart dumb ? here) grossly miscalculated and thought this ? was a joke to let this inexperienced openly racist ignorant pierce of ? , to hold the most powerful position in the world

https://youtu.be/H1vpV6_F6GY

Exactly. Unfathomable idiocy abounded and this clown branded himself in the nonsense. For anybody wondering what has Trump done check the list of executive orders reversing Obama policies and other policies being implemented. From overturning Obama's reversal of mandatory minimums, to strengthening civil forfeiture to the host of various others. Idiots literally said Obama did nothing...well what is Trump overturning then? The policies he "did" this is also a difference between Trump and say another Democrat like Hillary. There are undeniable differences. Its called reality something people were bizarrely strangers to.
  • ILLBOT
    ILLBOT Posts: 911 My Name Is My Name.
    ILLBOT detected banned alias
    Reason: juggaloside, juggalo_ninja, johndoe35640160, ? _juggalo, Robertjones, Departfromme, genocidethejuggalo, minnin, Mr.Genocide

Obsolete technology serves no purpose here.
    NoCompetition
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article164292502.html
    In his speech, Trump said laws are “stacked” against law enforcement, which make their jobs more difficult.

“For years and years, [laws have] been made to protect the criminal,” Trump said. “Totally protect the criminal, not the officers. You do something wrong, you’re in more jeopardy than they are. These laws are stacked against you. We’re changing those laws.”

There have been numerous, highly publicized cases of police officers shooting or brutalizing unarmed African-American citizens, which has eroded public trust in law enforcement among black communities, according to a Pew Research Center poll.

Officers rarely face jail time after these incidents.

In 2015, Freddie Grey’s spine was severed and he died in a Baltimore police van after being arrested. The officers involved were acquitted of all charges.

In June, Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted of second-degree manslaughter after shooting Philando Castile during a routine traffic stop. Castile had an open carry permit for a gun and informed the officer he was carrying it.

... if the police don't like laws, why are they police? The point is to enforce the law and abide by it, id they aren't law enforcers then they are paid state regulators and executioners, not police.

Cops just like having that power. They break the law regularly.

I get that, but that's the problem. They want the power to enforce laws on others while being protected from them personally. That's against the basic tenet of the constitution, all men are created equal and should be treated and judged as such as American citizens. If they don't even respect constitutional rights, what business have they enforcing any later laws if they don't respect the foundations?

Police was formed to keep blacks/poor in check and to protect the rich. All that other stuff is ? which they use to control thw masses.
  • stringer bell
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Lol imagine if Obama had said half the ? 45 has so far while in office, ? would be a total 180. ? like this makes me wish there was a public fighting/purge arena where you could square up with a ? and set ? straight.
  • stringer bell
    edited July 2017

Pig Lives Matter has opinion..

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/29/politics/trump-police-remarks-reaction/index.html
    Support also came from the head of the union representing Cleveland's rank-and-file police officers. Without addressing Trump's specific comments on Saturday, Detective Stephen Loomis, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, told CNN there is "unwavering" support for Trump from law enforcement agencies across the country.

"Not surprisingly, (Trump's) comments have been completely taken out of context by the racially exclusive and divisive profiteers seeking to call into question his support of all law abiding citizens and the law enforcement that live and work among them," Loomis said in a statement to CNN.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    So ILL wrote: »
    Lol imagine if Obama had said half the ? 45 has so far while in office, ? would be a total 180. ? like this makes me wish there was a public fighting/purge arena where you could square up with a ? and set ? straight.

Trump's Presidency is the personification of white privilege to a t.

Pretty sure every presidency has been the personification of white privilege.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our president folks
  • stringer bell
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sanders-trump-making-a-joke-police-abuse
    WH: Trump Was ‘Making A Joke’ When He Endorsed Police Abuse In Speech

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Monday that President Donald Trump was just joking last week when he advocated police abuse during an address focused on gang violence by undocumented immigrants in Long Island.

“When the President made his speech to police officers on Friday, almost within minutes statements came from police chiefs across the country criticizing his remarks that seemed to endorse the use of force by police in certain arrests,” Newsmax’s John Gizzi said Monday during a press briefing. “Was the President joking when he said this or did he check his remarks out with the international association of police chiefs or maybe the attorney general?”

“I believe he was making a joke at the time,” Sanders said, before moving on.

Gizzi appeared to be referencing a passage from Trump’s speech to law enforcement officers last week in Brentwood, New York, which left police departments nationwide cleaning up after the President.

Discussing the gang MS13, Trump celebrated seeing “these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough.”

“I said, please don’t be too nice,” he added.

For many, the comment immediately brought to mind Freddie Gray, who died in the custody of Baltimore Police in 2015.

“When you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over,” Trump continued, mimicking an officer protecting a handcuffed person’s head while lowering them into the back of a squad car. “Like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody? Don’t hit their head?”

“I said, you can take the hand away, OK?” he concluded, to laughter and applause.

Police departments nationwide distanced themselves from the remarks.

Well that resolves it everybody it was just a "joke"…
  • stringer bell
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/30/chuck-canterbury-defends-donald-trumps-arrestee-co/
    Chuck Canterbury defends Donald Trump's arrestee comments

The National Fraternal Order of Police came to President Trump’s defense after some law enforcement agencies sought to distance themselves from his comments that police shouldn’t be “too nice” to criminal suspects.

Noting every arrestee is entitled to due process, FOP President Chuck Canterbury said Mr. Trump’s off-the-cuff comments on Friday were being taken “too literally.”

“The president knows, just as every cop out there knows, that our society does not, and should not, tolerate the mistreatment or prejudgment of any individual at any point in the criminal justice process,” Mr. Canterbury said over the weekend.

But afterward, the Suffolk County Police Department issued a statement noting it has “strict rules and procedures relating to the handling of prisoners.”

“Violations of those rules are treated extremely seriously,” read a statement from the agency. “As a department, we do not and will not tolerate roughing up of prisoners.”

The department may have felt more need than most to distance itself from the president’s comments as its officers were among those in the backdrop of the event and because a former police chief was convicted last year of beating a handcuffed theft suspect and orchestrating a cover-up of the incident.
    Mr. Canterbury said taken as a whole, Mr. Trump’s speech showed the president very strongly supports rank-and-file police officers.

“There isn’t another politician out there today who empathizes more with our members than the president does — and nobody appreciates him more than the 332,000 members of the Fraternal Order of Police!” he said.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • stringer bell
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dea-acting-director-agency-wide-memo
    WSJ: DEA Sent Agency-Wide Memo After Trump ‘Condoned Police Misconduct’

The acting administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration wrote to agency employees the day after President Donald Trump endorsed police abuse to “reaffirm” the agency’s principles in the face of what he said was Trump “condon[ing] police misconduct,” the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

In a memo marked “Global Distribution” and titled “Who We Are,” according to the Journal, Chuck Rosenberg (pictured above) wrote: “The president, in remarks delivered yesterday in New York, condoned police misconduct regarding the treatment of individuals placed under arrest by law enforcement.”

Rosenberg was responding to Trump’s call on Friday for “rough” policing in the face of transnational gangs like MS13. Speaking to a law enforcement audience in Long Island, Trump celebrated suspected gang members being “thrown in” to paddy wagons, and said police officers “can take the hand away” from handcuffed individuals’ heads as they are guided into the back seat of police cars — suggesting that police officers ought to harm arrestees as a form of vigilante justice. Audience members responded positively to Trump’s speech.

Before being appointed acting DEA administrator, Rosenberg served in several federal roles in both the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations.

Rosenberg wrote that the comments required a response, despite his belief that no “special agent or task force officer of the DEA would mistreat a defendant,” the Journal reported.

He added: “I write to offer a strong reaffirmation of the operating principles to which we, as law enforcement professionals, adhere […] I write because we have an obligation to speak out when something is wrong. That’s what law enforcement officers do. That’s what you do. We fix stuff. At least, we try.”

Many police departments immediately distanced themselves from the remarks. On Monday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that Trump was joking.

• Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First purge coming summer 2018
  • stringer bell
    https://thinkprogress.org/maryland-trump-rough-rides-b8211256d992
    Maryland police union president claims the violence Trump encouraged never actually occurs

He condemned Trump’s comments, but said he sees no connection to Freddie Gray’s death.

Speaking to a crowd of cheering police in New York Friday, President Trump encouraged officers to be rough with suspects they take into custody. “When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough. Please don’t be too nice,” he said, endorsing the “rough ride” police tactic that allegedly killed Baltimore resident Freddie Gray in 2015.

Police chiefs quickly tried to distance themselves from the remark, saying the president’s recommendations are out of line with police protocol and contrary to officers’ “strict rules and procedures.” The national Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) president took another approach, claiming that Trump’s words were being taken “too literally.”

On Monday, Maryland FOP President Vince Canales, whose union includes the six officers who all escaped charges related to Gray’s death, told ThinkProgress he is “opposed to anything that goes against constitutional and ethical policing.” But he also said he has not heard of any rough rides — the tactic Trump described in which officers intentionally fail to secure a suspect in the back of a police van — occurring in his state.

Twenty-five-year-old Gray sustained a fatal spinal cord injury when Baltimore officers failed to buckle him in the back of a van. A medical examiner concluded that his death was “not an accident.”

But Canales said that Trump’s comments did not remind him of what happened to Gray. “I didn’t even put two and two together,” he said.

“I am still not aware that any [rough rides] have actually occurred,” he continued. “Even when you discuss the Freddie Gray incident, there was no information that was provided that that was actually what had occurred during the course of his case.”

Though he won’t acknowledge that the tactic has ever been used in Maryland, Canales said steps have been taken to prevent similar incidents in the future. Some jurisdictions have equipped police transport vans with cameras and in Baltimore, there have been updates to departmental policy and trainings for officers that conduct transports, he said.

“There’s been a lot of effort being put in by the police department in order to try to ensure that if this was occurring, that this is a practice that would stop,” he said.

Trump’s encouragement of violence in his speech shocked many, but just as alarming was the response from the Suffolk County officers in the audience, who broke out in laughter and cheers. Many noted that the Suffolk County Police Department has been under U.S. Department of Justice oversight since 2013 for racial profiling against Latinos and immigrants.

“Trump just told police officers that they can be more violent than they already are. And they cheered,” noted Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson, a Baltimore native.

Canales refused to comment on the officers’ response to Trump’s comments. “I don’t have a comment on that,” he said while laughing. “I don’t have anything I can really add to that.”

Many police chiefs quickly denounced Trump’s comments, and reporters highlighted the condemnation of Trump’s call for violence. A New York Times headline after the speech declared: “Police Criticize Trump for Urging Officers Not to Be ‘Too Nice’ With Suspects.” But it’s hard to know how much weight those responses to Trump hold when rank-and-file officers — the people charged with bringing suspects into custody — responded very differently.

The New York Times report, for example, mainly quoted statements from police chiefs. The only rank-and-file response came from the Blue Lives Matter group, which like the national FOP president, called the comments a joke.

Canales recognized that Trump’s comments won’t help law enforcement repair its relationship with communities, which has become fraught in numerous jurisdictions in recent years amidst high-profile police killings and protests.

“At this point in time, when we’re trying to reestablish relationships with community, it makes it a little more divisive when we’re trying to bridge those gaps,” he said. “For us, it’s a matter of just ensuring that we don’t let language that may have been taken out-of-context or stated inappropriately and allow that to take effect.”

But he also said that he’s not worried that Trump’s rhetoric will have an effect on his rank-and-file officers — despite coming from an administration more friendly to law enforcement than other recent administrations.

“I think our officers have seen and heard enough throughout the country and we’ve experienced our own incidents here in Maryland,” he said. “We’ve realized that we have to work as a collaborative with our community stakeholders, and I don’t see this being something that’s going to wind up causing any of our officers to take a step backwards.”
  • stringer bell
    edited August 2017

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sanders-trump-wants-to-empower-law-enforcement
    WH On Trump’s Police Abuse ‘Joke’: ‘He Wants To Empower Our Law Enforcement’

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders maintained Tuesday that President Donald Trump was just joking when he endorsed police abuse in a speech to law enforcement officers lsat week. But she added in response to further questions about the speech that “he wants to empower our law enforcement to be able to do their job.”

In a speech Friday to an audience of law enforcement officers in Long Island, Trump celebrated the “rough” treatment of suspected members of the MS13 gang and others, and suggested that the officers not protect the heads of handcuffed people as they lower them into squad cars.

Sanders said Monday that the President was joking — despite the many police departments nationwide that distanced themselves from the remarks. The acting DEA administrator wrote to agency employees Saturday disavowing the speech, in which he said Trump “condoned police misconduct,” according to the Wall Street Journal.

“Was he making a joke about police brutality?” one reporter asked Sanders at a press briefing Tuesday.

“Not at all,” Sanders replied. “I think you guys are jumping and trying to make something out of nothing. He was simply making a comment, making a joke, and it was nothing more than that.”

“What’s so funny” many reporters asked at once. Another reporter brought up the DEA memo.

“It wasn’t a directive, it was a joke, there’s a very big difference,” Sanders said of Trump’s comments.

Later, American Urban Radio Networks’ April Ryan asked if the President would apologize for the remark, “and what does he view as reasonable when he’s not joking, when it comes to use of force from police?”

“I’d have to ask on that specific question,” Sanders said.

“But do you think the President is remorseful for what he said, because of the outcry from Friday?” Ryan asked.

“I think the President supports our law enforcement, and he supports the protection of the citizens of this country, and he wants to empower our law enforcement to be able to do their job,” Sanders replied. “I don’t think there’s anything beyond that.”

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are ? in custody hostages or citizens?