Mother Calls Cops, They Arrive And ? Son

Options
7figz
7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
EAST FLATBUSH, Brooklyn — A police officer shot and killed an emotionally disturbed man who charged at them with a large carving knife after another cop unsuccessfully tried to subdue him with a stun gun, the NYPD said Monday.

The mother of the man called 911 at 12:22 p.m. to report an nonviolent emotionally disturbed person at her son’s fifth-floor apartment a 1370 New York Ave. in East Flatbush, Brooklyn, police said.

When the man’s mother let four officers into the apartment, he allegedly charged at police while carrying a carving knife. An officer initially used a stun gun on the man, targeting his chest and arm. When the man “fought through” the impact of the stun gun , an officer fatally shot him in the chest, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man’s identity was not revealed at an NYPD news conference Monday afternoon.

The shooting occurred on a residential street lined with apartment complexes.

Councilman Jumaane Williams released the following statement on the fatal encounter:

“My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of the man that was killed today. While news is developing around the incident, I am nonetheless concerned with the loss of life that occurred. In particular, whether protocols were followed for dealing with a call for an Emotionally Disturbed Person. Until we get further information, I ask that we keep our prayers with the family.”

Article

Comments

• 7figz
    Options
    A little something more to think about when you call 911... or support any law that says somebody has to call 911.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If thats true, and they tried to stun him and it aint do ? , and dude was still comming at them wit a knife, what was they supposed to do??
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there needs to an anti 911 campaign put in action
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a kid my family had an issue with one of ours with a chemical imbalance and he was threatening to shoot certain members, my parents and uncles refused to call the cops...we called each other watched him for hours till he was in his right mind then took him to the hospital.

Only call the cops when you want to file a claim for insurance purposes or you want someine arrested or shot
  • playboy buddy rose
    playboy buddy rose Members Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know tha motha feelin double guilty right about now.
  • 7figz
    edited July 2017
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    If thats true, and they tried to stun him and it aint do ? , and dude was still comming at them wit a knife, what was they supposed to do??

Well bruh, I guess that's what having so-called protocols about dealing with emotionally disturbed people is supposed to cover. I'm guessing at the very least is - not ? him.

If they didn't have guns, what would they have had to do ?
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    A little something more to think about when you call 911... or support any law that says somebody has to call 911.

They won't hear you tho.
  • farris2k1
    Options

Well bruh, I guess that's what having so-called protocols about dealing with emotionally disturbed people is supposed to cover. I'm guessing at the very least is - not ? him.

Killing is supposed to be a last ditch effort regardless of any scenario(obviously most officers just skip right too it) but in this case, where supposedly they did try non lethal force and it didnt work..again what else was they supposed to do? Fight wit dude and ? ??this aint the movies where they gonna break out some karate or ? to try and disarm ppl, And the what if they didnt have guns question???theyre cops so they always gonna have a gun so thats out the window, i cant fault the cops in this one bro....police deparments give zero ? bout training ppl to deal with mental people, and yes, that, is a problem that needs to be addressed, among 100s of others
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Idek why they send cops for these kinda calls. Send EMTs/paramedics/firefighters or counselors from those depts who are trained to deal with mentally ill ppl. If those ppl feel threatened let them call cops to secure the area. Stop sending cops for every ? thing. These ? ain't trained/competent enough to deal with every emergency.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

no shade to you, but i never believe the initial reports from a police involved shooting... hell anything regarding the police. cops have reported people charged at me, went for his waistband etc etc so many times, only to find out later, ? didnt go down as first reported.
  • 7figz
    edited July 2017
    Options

Killing is supposed to be a last ditch effort regardless of any scenario(obviously most officers just skip right too it) but in this case, where supposedly they did try non lethal force and it didnt work..again what else was they supposed to do? Fight wit dude and ? ??this aint the movies where they gonna break out some karate or ? to try and disarm ppl, And the what if they didnt have guns question???theyre cops so they always gonna have a gun so thats out the window, i cant fault the cops in this one bro....police deparments give zero ? bout training ppl to deal with mental people, and yes, that, is a problem that needs to be addressed, among 100s of others

You think all they got is stun guns and guns ?

The original call was for an emotionally disturbed person. Meaning they knew what they were going to encounter before getting there. These are MFs that got bean bag guns, pepper spray, shields, and all kind of ? . And they don't always need to shoot to ? . Don't excuse this ? . People have even suggested them having mental health professionals to deal with these types of situations.

? , he ain't die until they came. Matter of fact, he apparently wasn't even violent until they came if you go by their story. It ain't that they had to ? (most likely), it's that they chose to. They could've retreated to the ? out the house too, or shot him somewhere non-lethal or any other group of options. They walked into his house and shot him.... in the ? chest.
  • farris2k1
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »

no shade to you, but i never believe the initial reports from a police involved shooting... hell anything regarding the police. cops have reported people charged at me, went for his waistband etc etc so many times, only to find out later, ? didnt go down as first reported.

Im wit u, thats why i said if
  • farris2k1
    Options

The original call was for an emotionally disturbed person. Meaning they knew what they were going to encounter before getting there. These are MFs that got bean bag guns, pepper spray shields, and all kind of ? . And they don't always need to shoot to ? . Don't excuse this ? . People have even suggested them having mental health professionals to deal with these types of situations.

? , he ain't die until they came. Matter of fact, he apparently wasn't even violent until they came if you go by their story. It ain't that they had to ? (most likely), it's that they chose to. They could've retreated to ? out the house too, or shot him somewhere non-lethal or other a ton of other options. They walked into his house and shot him.... in the ? chest.
    That totally depends on the deparment as to who has what and some of them aint got even got tasers, just guns and cuffs, the bare minimum, your thinking of swat teams that have all that extra ? at all times, and im not excusing anything i said the training is garbage and needs to be addressed
  • 7figz
    edited July 2017
    Options

The original call was for an emotionally disturbed person. Meaning they knew what they were going to encounter before getting there. These are MFs that got bean bag guns, pepper spray shields, and all kind of ? . And they don't always need to shoot to ? . Don't excuse this ? . People have even suggested them having mental health professionals to deal with these types of situations.

? , he ain't die until they came. Matter of fact, he apparently wasn't even violent until they came if you go by their story. It ain't that they had to ? (most likely), it's that they chose to. They could've retreated to ? out the house too, or shot him somewhere non-lethal or other a ton of other options. They walked into his house and shot him.... in the ? chest.
    That totally depends on the deparment as to who has what and some of them aint got even got tasers, just guns and cuffs, the bare minimum, your thinking of swat teams that have all that extra ? at all times, and im not excusing anything i said the training is garbage and needs to be addressed

I used to live in that area, and am familiar with the cops around there.. They got all that ? - I know that for a fact. Why exactly are you makin excuses ?
  • farris2k1
    edited July 2017
    Options

I used to live in that area, and am familiar with the cops around there.. They got all that ? - I know that for a fact. Why exactly are you makin excuses ?

They are poorly trained/not trained at all, they tried non lethal and it didnt work, cops are not gonna sit there and try every non lethal weapon they got while a dude is appranantly comming at them wit a knife, be ? realistic about ? ,you talkin bout retreating and shooting him somewhere else?? Again this aint the movies bro, cops are trained to shoot for center mass, not to disable someone, if it comes to that, they done exactly what 99.9% of cops would do in that situation and what theyre trained to do, regular training, not training for mental patients, and thats the problem like ive been saying, wrong ppl for the call
  • 7figz
    edited July 2017
    Options

They are poorly trained/not trained at all, they tried non lethal and it didnt work, cops are not gonna sit there and try every non lethal weapon they got while a dude is appranantly comming at them wit a knife, be ? realistic about ? , thats all im saying, now if it turns out they jus rushed in and killed him then its whole nother story

I am being realistic. I'm telling you it's better ways to handle these situations and you're not tryin to see it. All you want to believe is that they only had a choice between stun guns and shooting an emotionally disturbed person in the chest.

This ain't no split second decision they had to make. They knew it when they got the call. Like I said, I'm from that area and those cops got all that ? - know that for a fact. And even if they hypothetically only had a gun, they had options.

You could see it how you want. What I need to do - pull up some videos of cops being extremely patient with armed white people for you to see that ?

Just gonna have to agree to disagree with you, seems like you low-key caping for cops.
  • farris2k1
    Options

They are poorly trained/not trained at all, they tried non lethal and it didnt work, cops are not gonna sit there and try every non lethal weapon they got while a dude is appranantly comming at them wit a knife, be ? realistic about ? , thats all im saying, now if it turns out they jus rushed in and killed him then its whole nother story

I am being realistic. I'm telling you it's better ways to handle these situations and you're not tryin to see it. All you want to believe is that they only had a choice between stun guns and shooting an emotionally disturbed MF in the chest.

This ain't no split second decision they had to make. They knew it when they got the call. Like I said, I'm from that area and those cops got all that ? - know that for a fact. Even if they only had a gun, they had options.

You could see it how you want. What I need to - pull up some videos of cops giving white people mad time to put weapons down and not shoot for you to see that ?

Just gonna have to agree to disagree with you, seem like you low-key caping for cops.
    Thats cool, and no, ive rarely caped for cops, check any cop thread on here ive responded in damn near all of them

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

there are other non-lethals available to cops. Rubber bullets, pepper spray, etc. Also, shoot for the dude's legs or something. Better to be alive with a limp than dead.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a hard call for family. You just want help for your loved one. My uncle was a ? but he wasn't violent. We had to beat up a few kids in the neighborhood for clowning him. As I got older I realized people are scared of what they don't know. These family members just want help and these cops show up scared to death. The family said the person was emotionally disturbed. To cops that means violent. There should be a mental health response team in every police department. Officers that are trained to deal with the mentally ill. A call for help shouldnt not be followed by a call to the funeral home.