Christian: "Logic is the devil's work and has nothing to do with faith"

2»

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Faith in biblical terms has always been about logic.

Nah, faith is basically the opposite of logic. The Bible says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." Basically, faith leads you to believe something when there is no logical reason you should. The Bible doesn't say that you shouldn't exercise logic in your daily life. It just says that you should be led by your faith in ? first and foremost.

It's a misconception that that verse is in support of illogical belief...it's doesn't say the evidence itself is unseen. It says things that are unseen left evidence. Im sure you can think of a few examples of this.

The standard always been:
    John 10: 37 "If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”

People were ALWAYS given evidence thst ? is who he said he is and that the people who sent by him really were.

That is a contradiction. (The bible has plenty of contradictions)

The same bible that requires you to believe without evidence says that your belief will be validated by the very evidence that you won't have anyway.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, faith is basically the opposite of logic. The Bible says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." Basically, faith leads you to believe something when there is no logical reason you should. The Bible doesn't say that you shouldn't exercise logic in your daily life. It just says that you should be led by your faith in ? first and foremost.

It's a misconception that that verse is in support of illogical belief...it's doesn't say the evidence itself is unseen. It says things that are unseen left evidence. Im sure you can think of a few examples of this.

John 10: 37 "If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; 38but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”

People were ALWAYS given evidence thst ? is who he said he is and that the people who sent by him really were.

You're mincing words. The point is that your belief in ? is to be based on faith not logic or empirical evidence. And typically, the "evidence" that ? gives us only stands as evidence if you already have faith. That's why these debates break down. Because what is evidence to believers is often just dismissed as coincidence or statistical noise by nonbelievers.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Christian: "Logic is the devil's work and has nothing to do with faith"
    A Christian just told me this today.

Christians, does this sort if thinking make you proud? You don't feel embarrassed knowing that your religion requires you to not think logically?

i stopped debating religion with ppl irl years ago. ? will give you a headache.

if ppl wanna believe in fairy tales. sigh. I cant be bothered...
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a contradiction. (The bible has plenty of contradictions)

The same bible that requires you to believe without evidence says that your belief will be validated by the very evidence that you won't have anyway.

You can't use the Bible to say it teaches belief without evidence as the Bible itself is understood and accepted as one of the strongest evidences for belief. Your understanding is off.

There's no contradictions in the Bible. The contradictions come from people's own confusing way of deciding to view and twist the teachings.

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're mincing words. The point is that your belief in ? is to be based on faith not logic or empirical evidence. And typically, the "evidence" that ? gives us only stands as evidence if you already have faith. That's why these debates break down. Because what is evidence to believers is often just dismissed as coincidence or statistical noise by nonbelievers.

Christianity is based on faith, but there is a standard and logic to it. It doesn't have to be an exact science to have some logical basis to it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the only way I think ? or humans can be reached; by personal outwardly unverifiable experiences. It has to happen that way because even if ? lit fire to the sky, mass amount of humans would still doubt. It has to be personal, something that only you and ? could know the why and how and the validity.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't use the Bible to say it teaches belief without evidence as the Bible itself is understood and accepted as one of the strongest evidences for belief. Your understanding is off.

There's no contradictions in the Bible. The contradictions come from people's own confusing way of deciding to view and twist the teachings.

giphy.gif