#NoConfederate?????

13»

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kairo wrote: »
    Kairo wrote: »
    D&D have done a poor job handling someone else's story with an amazing blueprint to go on with what could've been the best fantasy series ever. I don't expect any original content from them to be anything special.

They have the world's most successful show and G.R.R. Martin is years late on delivering his next book so the show has had to go ahead of the books BECAUSE there was no published framework to use because that fat ? wants to write everything else BUT the GoT books these days. I'm sorry, what the ? are you talking about? The last 2 seasons have more or less been their original work and G.R.R. Martin has said as a result he'll make the books different (assuming he ever finished one, let alone two) so they are companion pieces, not the same story in different formats.

I get you're fanboying here, but come the ? on and step into reality. If you're that big on half page descriptions of banquet tables, that's fine, but let's not act like the GoT showrunners have failed spectacularly when it's quite the ? opposite and if anything it's the show's success that is getting in the way of the books because G.R.R. Martin would rather hire a harem of hookers now than write a single sentence because he can afford to now.

Not failed, just fell short. I'm not bashing the show and I'm still watching but they are sprinting at this point and it deserves the same treatment the first 3-4 seasons got. More episodes would've been a boon to the overall story, I don't think they feel comfortable doing anything but hitting the plot points now.

Fanboy? I've never read the books.

The show runners took their sweet ass time with the first 6 seasons and now they gotta cram the finish into 16 episodes.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd watch. It'll be interesting to see their take on what ifs

This is funny, look at the real history
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non fiction on this topic, cacs don't know how to act
    I aint watching that ? and Game of Thrones can suck my ass too
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    bambu wrote: »
    Basically the producers of game of thrones are planning an alternate reality show on hbo based on the south winning the civil war....

There is a protest on social media....

So that we don't ever have to see ? like this again....

http://thegrapevine.theroot.com/noconfederate-let-hbo-know-their-tone-deaf-show-has-g-1797364934

https://youtu.be/EKGc9qQH4KQ

this has already been done by others. Now the redundancy is troubling
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Sandinista wrote: »
    Outrage over this is ? stupid. Alternate history is a very popular genre in science fiction. Man in the High Castle is on right now and it's GOAT....I don't see any Jews losing their ? over this.

It's not like they're gonna depict the Confederates as heroes. I guarantee you 110% it'll be a dystopia where the enslaved blacks are the protagonists. If anything this show will make rednecks and Confederate supporters mad as hell because it will show the terrible nation that would be born if they had won.

I swear these SJWs today just look for ? to get pissy about at a molecular level. Spoiled first world liberals. Don't know what hardship really is so they gotta manufacture fake ass causes.
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    People criticizing alternate history scenarios are not only obnoxious outrage addicts but they're also probably illiterate since they are seemingly unaware of the great things alternate fiction can convey.

? that, I read Alternate History every day. You will never see Years of Rice and Salt or Lion's Blood become a major Hollywood production tho. I wonder why. You will also never see Hong Kong produce a film about the MANY Alternate History scenarios where China gets nuked to hell in a Sino-Soviet War. I wonder why.

If this was spearheaded by someone like Spike Lee or Aaron McGruder or Ta-Nehisi Coates, I'd have faith that they wouldn't ? this up. I have no faith in HBO and these Game of Thrones cacs to not ? this up.

A couple of unknown token ? being involved does nothing for me. They didn't create it; they were brought on after the fact by their white bosses to provide cover.

Tarantino don't get a pass for his obsession with the N-word despite making classics, but we gonna give this suspect American Slaveowners Got Talent-ass ? a pass? Really?
    WHY would you think this Confederate show would be any different?

Because ? was universally condemned and destroyed as any sort of relevant political force whereas the Confederacy was given a slap on the wrist and a quick "Time Out" before being allowed to repair and reinforce its toxic ideology & systems that last.....to this very....day. They ain't slick.

You are naive as ? if you trust these cacs "good intentions"....

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/no-confederate/535512/

"Knowing this, we do not have to wait to point out that comparisons between Confederate and The Man in the High Castle are fatuous. ? Germany was also defeated. But while its surviving leadership was put on trial before the world, not one author of the Confederacy was convicted of treason. ? Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop was hanged at Nuremberg. Confederate General John B. Gordon became a senator. Germany has spent the decades since World War II in national penance for ? crimes. America spent the decades after the Civil War transforming Confederate crimes into virtues. It is illegal to fly the ? flag in Germany. The Confederate flag is enmeshed in the state flag of Mississippi.

The symbols point to something Confederate’s creators don’t seem to understand—the war is over for them, not for us. At this very hour, black people all across the South are still fighting the battle which they joined during Reconstruction—securing equal access to the ballot—and resisting a president whose resemblance to Andrew Johnson is uncanny. Confederate is the kind of provocative thought experiment that can be engaged in when someone else’s lived reality really is fantasy to you, when your grandmother is not in danger of losing her vote, when the terrorist attack on Charleston evokes honest sympathy, but inspires no direct fear. And so we need not wait to note that Confederate’s interest in Civil War history is biased, that it is premised on a simplistic view of white Southern defeat, instead of the more complicated morass we have all around us.

And one need not wait to ask if Benioff and D.B. Weiss are, at any rate, the candidates to help lead us out of that morass or deepen it. A body of work exists in the form of their hit show Game of Thrones. We do not have to wait to note the persistent criticism of that show is its depiction of ? . ? —generational ? , mass ? —is central to the story of enslavement. For 250 years the bodies of enslaved black women were regarded as property, to be put to whatever use—carnal and otherwise—that their enslavers saw fit. Why HBO believes that this duo, given their past work, is the best team to revisit that experience is a question one should not wait to ask."

"For over a century, Hollywood has churned out well-executed, slickly produced epics which advanced the Lost Cause myth of the Civil War. These are true “alternative histories,” built on “alternative facts,” assembled to depict the Confederacy as a wonderland of virtuous damsels and gallant knights, instead of the sprawling kleptocratic police state it actually was. From last century’s The Birth of a Nation to this century’s Gods and Generals, Hollywood has likely done more than any other American institution to obstruct a truthful apprehension of the Civil War, and thus modern America’s very origins. So one need not wait to observe that any foray by HBO into the Civil War must be met with a spirit of pointed inquiry and a withholding of all benefit of the doubt."

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/no-confederate/535512/

but hey to each his own, go ahead with some "WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE SLAVEOWNER?" threads in Lights Camera Action in a couple years.....

"? Lynch is def the GOAT season 2 slaveowner tho, he was spittin etherous bars while he was whippin the ? outta Mammy lmaoooo"