Poll: 57 percent have negative view of Black Lives Matter movement…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/344985-poll-57-percent-have-negative-view-of-black-lives-matter-movement
A majority of Americans has an unfavorable view of Black Lives Matter, although opinions on the protest movement cut sharply along racial and partisan lines, according to a new poll.

Overall, 43 percent of voters have a positive view of Black Lives Matter, compared with 57 percent who have a negative view of the movement, the latest Harvard-Harris survey found.

Only 35 percent of whites have a favorable view of the movement, while 83 percent of blacks have a favorable view.

Twenty-one percent of Republicans have a positive view of the movement. That figure dips to 18 percent among those who voted for President Trump.

Meanwhile, 65 percent of Democrats and 66 percent of those who voted for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton support the movement, which sprung up during the 2016 election to protest several controversial police shootings of black people and broader frustrations with the criminal justice system and police treatment of minorities.

“The public is sympathetic to the problem of police using too much force but overall are unsympathetic to the Black Lives Matter movement,” said Harvard-Harris co-director Mark Penn. “As you might expect, white voters are sharply negative to the group while African-Americans give them positive ratings.”

The Harvard-Harris online survey of 2,051 registered voters was conducted between July 19 and July 24. The partisan breakdown is 37 percent Democrat, 31 percent Republican, 27 percent independent and 4 percent other. Sixty-five percent of respondents were white, 14 percent Hispanic and 12 percent black or African-American.

The poll found that 50 percent of voters overall believe the criminal justice system is unfair to minorities, and 50 percent believe it’s fair.

Among black voters, 85 percent said there is bias in the criminal justice system, while 60 percent of white voters said the system is fair to minorities.

A majority — 56 percent — believes the police are too quick to resort to force in encounters with citizens, including 57 percent of whites.

And 54 percent say the police are too quick to shoot African-Americans, although here, only 45 percent of whites agree.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has broad support from the law enforcement community, nodded to the tensions between the police and minorities in a Wednesday speech to the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives.

“We all know the cases of the last several years when, in confrontations with police, lives have been cut short,” Sessions said. “Just as I’m committed to defending law enforcement who lawfully have to use deadly force to defend themselves while engaged in their work, I will also use the power of the office I’m entrusted with to hold any officer responsible who violates the law.”

A majority, 54 percent, said the police are held accountable for misconduct. Among blacks, only 23 percent agreed.

Seventy-five percent, including two-thirds of African-Americans surveyed, said more attention is paid to police behavior than to gangs or crime. Nearly 90 percent said that scrutiny has triggered more violence against the police.

And 62 percent said the focus on police behavior has handcuffed law enforcement officials by discouraging them from doing their jobs, although only 44 percent of blacks agreed.

Seventy percent said black people committing crimes against other black people is a bigger problem in African-American communities than police violence toward blacks.

African-Americans are split here, with 49 percent saying black crime is a bigger problem and 51 percent saying police violence toward blacks is the bigger problem.

“There are deep racial divides in attitudes towards police and whether too much attention has been given to cop shootings versus black-on-black crime,” said Penn.

The Harvard-Harris Poll is a collaboration of the Harvard Center for American Political Studies and The Harris Poll. The Hill will be working with Harvard-Harris Poll throughout 2017. 
Full poll results will be posted online later this week.

The Harvard-Harris Poll survey is an online sample drawn from the Harris Panel and weighted to reflect known demographics. As a representative online sample, it does not report a probability confidence interval.

679704547503310762.gif

Comments

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should have negative opinions about real black people who aren't afraid to stand up to them. The only black person the average cac likes is the Jessie Lee Peterson/Stacey Dash type and I'm far from that. I take pride in how much hate these no good demonic cacs have 4 me. I would be ashamed and embarrassed as ? if I was ever accepted and embraced by the masses of white people. Be sceptical of any black person (Steve Harvey, Bill Cosby, OJ Simpson, etc) or any black movement that is (black church, NAACP, SCLC, etc).
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    They should have negative opinions about real black people who aren't afraid to stand up to them. The only black person the average cac likes is the Jessie Lee Peterson/Stacey Dash type and I'm far from that. I take pride in how much hate these no good demonic cacs have 4 me. I would be ashamed and embarrassed as ? if I was ever accepted and embraced by the masses of white people. Be sceptical of any black person (Steve Harvey, Bill Cosby, OJ Simpson, etc) or any black movement that is (black church, NAACP, SCLC, etc).
    All of this. It makes me smile when I make the average European uncomfortable with my unapologetic vibe. They hate a black person that refuses to kiss their ass. I told a privileged white girl to stay out my face until she became less racist the other day and the conflicted vibe and dryness in her face in the moments afterward made me smile.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Marcus Garvey speaking on a former friend who left his organization, joined the NAACP and publicly attacked him.

"I have seen him recently very much in the company of white folks, and any time a ? gets into the company of white folks he becomes a dangerous ? ."
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For one

White Tears don't matter

Second,

these "polls" are always interesting

Where are they pooling their data from and who are they asking
  • BusterBreeze
    BusterBreeze Members Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that 57 percent them Devils opinion never mattered anyway
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For one

White Tears don't matter

Second,

these "polls" are always interesting

Where are they pooling their data from and who are they asking

You do realize alot of america is racist right??? They could poll the entire us and the results would be the same
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They doing better numbers than Trump.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont like how BLM moves. They're intial movement seemed genuine. But now they seem more concerned with lgbt rights than black folks. They also take too long responding to these white supremacist talking points. We already know the ol "black on black" argument. When they get on CNN they usually got some idiot on there who cant get his/her point across. The gayness of BLM has made them irrelevant

Seems the movement has been hijacked by the extreme left.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    An enemy of my enemy.... however that saying goes.

I'm not one to ? on one of the few apparent allies Black people have without a better reason than 'they also help ? ".
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont like how BLM moves. They're intial movement seemed genuine. But now they seem more concerned with lgbt rights than black folks. They also take too long responding to these white supremacist talking points. We already know the ol "black on black" argument. When they get on CNN they usually got some idiot on there who cant get his/her point across. The gayness of BLM has made them irrelevant

Do we need to point out exactly what type of organization they are again?
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Blm got steam off the blood of black men then turned around and erased the black man from their ten point agenda.

? them. Blm is a bunch of ? whining about inequality while simultaneously begging whites for considerations. Makes black people look like a bunch of ? with no real plan
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm surprised the number isn't higher. When you combine their own lack of organization and rules with the smear campaign that was perpetrated against them, it's not that surprising public opinion is low on them. It's unfair, but not surprising.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    then theres the stupid cacs that say "just as bad as the kkk"

I had a cac tell me with a straight face that BLM was literally just as bad as the Nazis

yes, the same Nazis that murdered about 25 million people ON TOP of that 6 million from the Holocaust while trying to conquer Europe so they could ? everyone and repopulate it with Germans

TOTALLY THE SAME THING
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We care about their opinions b/c???
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We care about their opinions b/c???

Well, BLM hopes to have policy changes in order to end the police brutality we're seeing. That will only happen if legislators are moved to force those changes. Politicians largely only do what they are bribed by donors to do or what their constituents demand they do. If the popular opinion is that BLM and its stance is ? , then there really is no reason for any policy changes to be made.

So you may not care about opinions, but public support is important if BLM wants to accomplish its goals.