Is there a point in praying if you dont believe in religion?

TX_Made713
TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
According to the bible, your prayers will go ignored

Comments

• Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited July 2010
    where in the bible does it say that? the Most High doesn't deal w/religion so why would he want HIS creation dealing with it?
    so where does it say if you don't believe in religion your prayers will be ignored?
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    i believe in ? /a creator but i don't believe in organized religion so you could be spiritual without religion. with that being said there isn't some spirit out there that actually has any impact on what we do day to day on earth the decisions you make are the only thing that impact the outcome of your life not prayer.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Israelites wrote: »
    where in the bible does it say that? the Most High doesn't deal w/religion so why would he want HIS creation dealing with it?
    so where does it say if you don't believe in religion your prayers will be ignored?

This.

Now if you said, "Is there a point in praying if you don't believe in ? ", I would tell you, no there is no point because you're of wickedness then and ? doesn't hear the prayers of the wicked.

Religion isn't taught in the bible, there was no title but, "MAN OF ? ". That's what you should be.
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    how is a person wicked for not believing in ? ?
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    If you ever read the bible, you would know why. I know you don't believe in it but if you read it for just kicks, to see what's in it, you should grasp a small idea of just why. It's not rocket science to figure it out.
  • theillestrator
    edited July 2010
    Perhaps our definition of wicked differs. i just don't think that the lack of belief in a ? automatically qualifies one for wickedness. if so, aw well, but just doesn't seem right.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    Perhaps our definition of wicked differs. i just don't think that the lack of belief in a ? automatically qualifies one for wickedness. if so, aw well, but just doesn't seem right.

Wickedness = Sin. If you don't have ? in your heart, then you will sin and continue to sin and never be forgiven of sin. That's until you can come to terms of believing. John 3:16, states ? sent His son (Jesus) to die for our sins. That's when you can be cleansed of sin, prayers heard etc etc.

Wickedness, sin, darkness, hardened heart, all one in the same. Doesn't mean you're "evil" like the "devil" because you can change your ways like I stated above.
  • theillestrator
    edited July 2010
    okay, then it's just a difference in definition. on a side note though...as you have noticed, i don't know the bible too well, so after reading your comment I ask this: The 'devil' can't change his ways? if not, why?
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    okay, then it's just a difference in definition. on a side note though...as you have noticed, i don't know the bible too well, so after reading your comment I ask this: The 'devil' can't change his ways? if not, why?

He doesn't want to, that's it.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    ? created, "Satan" but for this reason

‘You were the sealer of perfection, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of ? . Every precious stone was your covering, the ruby, topaz, and emerald, the chrysolite, onyx, and jasper, the sapphire, turquoise, and beryl; your settings and mounts were made of gold. On the day you were created they were prepared. I placed you there with an anointed guardian cherub; you were on the holy mountain of ? ; you walked about amidst fiery stones. You were blameless in your behavior from the day you were created, until sin was discovered in you. In the abundance of your trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned; so I defiled you and banished you from the mountain of ? – the guardian cherub expelled you from the midst of the stones of fire. Your heart was proud because of your beauty; you corrupted your wisdom on account of your splendor. I threw you down to the ground; I placed you before kings, that they might see you. By the multitude of your iniquities, through the sinfulness of your trade, you desecrated your sanctuaries. So I drew fire out from within you; it consumed you, and I turned you to ashes on the earth before the eyes of all who saw you. All who know you among the peoples are shocked at you; you have become terrified and will be no more.’”” —Ezekiel 28:12–19 NET

Reason for creation, then reason for ? doing what He did to him.
  • theillestrator
    edited July 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    He doesn't want to, that's it.

hmm, so he's just continuing the supervillain role just because. as far as the bible goes, it would seem that ? 's choice of giving humans free will is much worse than him letting the devil be the bad guy. because even with the absence of someone playing the bad guy role in the story, people without any real reason/proof to believe in either ? 's or the devil's existence will deny both exist anyway. i think that's enough of that but anyway, thanks for the responses, i appreciate it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Wickedness = Sin. If you don't have ? in your heart, then you will sin and continue to sin and never be forgiven of sin. That's until you can come to terms of believing. John 3:16, states ? sent His son (Jesus) to die for our sins. That's when you can be cleansed of sin, prayers heard etc etc.

Wickedness, sin, darkness, hardened heart, all one in the same. Doesn't mean you're "evil" like the "devil" because you can change your ways like I stated above.

Sin= to miss the mark, to err. I hope you don't expect anyone to swallow that simply having "? in your heart" stops you from missing the mark or making err. You miss the mark and continue to miss the mark, you continue to err and will do so until the day you die.
  • TX_Made713
    edited July 2010

"He (any man) that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, Even his prayer is an abomination." (Proverbs 28:9, KJV)

"When terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you, Then they (people) will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me. " (Proverbs 1:27-28, ASV)

"Because I have called (people) and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded. " (Proverbs 1:24, KJV)

"Because they (people) hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD." (Proverbs 1:24, KJV)

"And would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof. " (Proverbs 1:24, KJV)

"Surely ? will not hear an empty cry, neither will the Almighty regard it. " (Job 35:13, ASV)

"Be not deceived; ? is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life. " (Galatians 6:7-8, ASV)

"We know that ? heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of ? , and do his will, him he heareth. " (John 9:31, ASV)

Isa 59:1-2 Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your ? , and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. (KJV)

John 9:31 Now we know that ? heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of ? , and doeth his will, him he heareth. (KJV)

I could go on....
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    Sin= to miss the mark, to err. I hope you don't expect anyone to swallow that simply having "? in your heart" stops you from missing the mark or making err. You miss the mark and continue to miss the mark, you continue to err and will do so until the day you die.

Nah, that's a little different than what I was saying though. That's why I said, "never be forgiven of sin". Being a follower, a man of ? , you still sin and make error but you will be forgiven etc.
  • Israelites
    Israelites Members Posts: 280
    edited July 2010
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    "He (any man) that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, Even his prayer is an abomination." (Proverbs 28:9, KJV)

"When terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you, Then they (people) will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me. " (Proverbs 1:27-28, ASV)

"Because I have called (people) and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded. " (Proverbs 1:24, KJV)

"Because they (people) hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD." (Proverbs 1:24, KJV)

"And would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof. " (Proverbs 1:24, KJV)

"Surely ? will not hear an empty cry, neither will the Almighty regard it. " (Job 35:13, ASV)

"Be not deceived; ? is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life. " (Galatians 6:7-8, ASV)

"We know that ? heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of ? , and do his will, him he heareth. " (John 9:31, ASV)

Isa 59:1-2 Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your ? , and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. (KJV)

John 9:31 Now we know that ? heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of ? , and doeth his will, him he heareth. (KJV)

I could go on....

Pls don't!
    again what does any of what you posted has to do with RELIGION? As your thread stated.
  • TX_Made713
    edited July 2010
    Pls don't!
    again what does any of what you posted has to do with RELIGION? As your thread stated.

religion = book of rules/law

CmonSon_President.jpg
  • Myayoni is bored
    Myayoni is bored Members Posts: 716 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    If you are praying to win a football game, praying that your girl's period will come on, praying for a promotion, pray to save poor african children from poverty...The answer is no it doesn't work
    If you pray/meditate to center yourself and your thoughts...different story
    You can get make almost anything appear real if you tamper with your mind long enough.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010

I could go on....

Just showed my point about the prayers of the wicked here. But other than that, how is this religion? It states if you're a man of sin, ? will not hear you. If you're a man of ? , ? will hear you. That is all. Where is the religion? Are you implying since there is a belief in ? , it has to be a religion?
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    religion = book of rules/law

My bad I didn't see this.

Well, does the bible give a title to this "religion" then?
  • TX_Made713
    edited July 2010
    My bad I didn't see this.

Well, does the bible give a title to this "religion" then?
    Religion (from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods,"[1] "obligation, the bond between man and the gods"[2] is the belief in and worship of a ? or gods, or more in general a set of beliefs explaining the existence of and giving meaning to the universe, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.[3]

What is religion? There are many definitions for the term "religion" in common usage. On this web site, we define it very broadly, in order to include the greatest number of belief systems: "Religion is any specific system of belief about deity, often involving rituals, a code of ethics, and a philosophy of life." Thus we include here all of the great monotheistic religions, Eastern religions; Neopagan religions; a wide range of other faith groups, spiritual paths, and ethical systems; and beliefs about the existence of ? (s) and Goddess(es). We recognize that most people define "religion" in a much more exclusive manner.

The word cult
    pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices are reasonably considered strange.[1] The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The narrower, derogatory sense of the word is a product of the 20th century, especially since the 1980s, and is considered subjective, and is a result of the anti-cult movement, which uses the word in reference to groups seen as authoritarian, exploitative and possibly dangerous. The word implies a group which is a minority in society.

The popular, derogatory sense of the word has no currency in academic studies of religions, where "cults" are subsumed under the neutral label of "new religious movement", while academic sociology has partly adopted the popular meaning of the word.[2][3][4]