Rapper Ranking Project: Rapper #4 - Nas

123457»

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    jim1000 wrote: »
    Nas is pretty close to the perfect MC, but he doesn't deserve a perfect score.

Take Catalog for instance. He's got a big catalog and that is due to his longevity, so he deserves credit for that, but not every album in that catalog is strong. Nastradamus is pretty weak as albums from good artists go. And I personally think Double CDs are a bad decision in general, but even in the context of measure Street's Disciple against other Double CDs, it's one of the weaker ones. Compare that to someone like Pac. Sure, Illmatic is arguably better than any of Pac's albums, but all of Pac's studio albums are good. I don't believe he has the low points that Nas had which is why I gave him a 5.

2 bad albums out of 11 isn't a bad record. And Street Disciple wasn't as bad as Gift and a Curse. He had a lot of bangers on it too. Theif Theme, These are our heroes, Street Disciple, Disciples, Rest of my life, Moment in time, Nazereth Savage, U.B.R, War, Getting Married. I don't think it was that bad. I like it. And Nas have whole albums with themes. Hip-Hop is dead had a theme. Untitled, and ? son had a theme and so did Life is good. There are not too many rappers with 9 really great albums mix with at least 4-6 classic or critical acclaimed albums in their discography.

I said this before and I will say it again. Street's Disciple disk 1 is a classic by itself. Not one bad song on Disk 1. I'm surprised you didn't mention reason or Live Now. I agree SD is not as bad as some here make it out to be.

I give Nas all 5's but this is too far, there's weak ? all over that first disc

My ? name one weak ? on the first disc?? Now the 2nd disc has some songs I couldn't care for or wasn't feeling but that 1st disc was fire.

Message to Feds is forgettable, American way and sekou story are straight utter trash, live now was ruined by him finishing that sekou story ? but that one verse is fire, you know my style if you want to count that is average, everything else was good but not all time classic Nas good
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take Catalog for instance. He's got a big catalog and that is due to his longevity, so he deserves credit for that, but not every album in that catalog is strong. Nastradamus is pretty weak as albums from good artists go. And I personally think Double CDs are a bad decision in general, but even in the context of measure Street's Disciple against other Double CDs, it's one of the weaker ones. Compare that to someone like Pac. Sure, Illmatic is arguably better than any of Pac's albums, but all of Pac's studio albums are good. I don't believe he has the low points that Nas had which is why I gave him a 5.

2 bad albums out of 11 isn't a bad record. And Street Disciple wasn't as bad as Gift and a Curse. He had a lot of bangers on it too. Theif Theme, These are our heroes, Street Disciple, Disciples, Rest of my life, Moment in time, Nazereth Savage, U.B.R, War, Getting Married. I don't think it was that bad. I like it. And Nas have whole albums with themes. Hip-Hop is dead had a theme. Untitled, and ? son had a theme and so did Life is good. There are not too many rappers with 9 really great albums mix with at least 4-6 classic or critical acclaimed albums in their discography.

I said this before and I will say it again. Street's Disciple disk 1 is a classic by itself. Not one bad song on Disk 1. I'm surprised you didn't mention reason or Live Now. I agree SD is not as bad as some here make it out to be.

My ? name one weak ? on the first disc?? Now the 2nd disc has some songs I couldn't care for or wasn't feeling but that 1st disc was fire.

Message to Feds is forgettable, American way and sekou story are straight utter trash, live now was ruined by him finishing that sekou story ? but that one verse is fire, you know my style if you want to count that is trash, everything else was good but not all time classic Nas good

Calling any of those songs "trash" is nonsense.
  • its....JOHN B
    Message to the Feds-2
    Nazaratheth savage-4
    American way-0
    These are our heroes-4
    Disciple-4
    Sekou story-1
    Live now-3.5
    Rest of my life-5
    Just a moment-5
    Reason-4
    You know my style-3
  • its....JOHN B
    5 Grand wrote: »

Message to Feds is forgettable, American way and sekou story are straight utter trash, live now was ruined by him finishing that sekou story ? but that one verse is fire, you know my style if you want to count that is trash, everything else was good but not all time classic Nas good

Calling any of those songs "trash" is nonsense.

Because you're being a dickrider right now, streets disciple is not a classic let alone one disc
  • its....JOHN B
    Disc 2
    Suicide bounce-5
    Streets disciple-3.5
    UBR-3
    Virgo-2
    Remember the times-3.5
    Making of a perfect ? -2
    Getting Married-4
    No one else in the room-3.5
    Bridging the gap-2
    War-5
    Me and you-2
    Thiefs theme-5
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Message to Feds is forgettable, American way and sekou story are straight utter trash, live now was ruined by him finishing that sekou story ? but that one verse is fire, you know my style if you want to count that is average, everything else was good but not all time classic Nas good

Message to the feds was forgettable?? To each its own my ? . Sekou story/Live now is great story-telling. American way was probably my least favorite song on there but I thought it was still good. Nothing ? about that sekou/live now story. What was so bad about that story telling?? ? was solid IMO.
  • its....JOHN B

Message to the feds was forgettable?? To each its own my ? . Sekou story/Live now is great story-telling. American way was probably my least favorite song on there but I thought it was still good. Nothing ? about that sekou/live now story. What was so bad about that story telling?? ? was solid IMO.

The first verse on live now was classic storytelling, but that whole Scarlett character was a fail, to me he gives himself an L by holding her down after Sekous death because when she's on her deathbed she's bragging about spending all of Sekous money and having tons of unprotected sex and not knowing where the aids came from, it was a failed attempt at being creative I hate everything about that ?
  • 5 Grand

The first verse on live now was classic storytelling, but that whole Scarlett character was a fail, to me he gives himself an L by holding her down after Sekous death because when she's on her deathbed she's bragging about spending all of Sekous money and having tons of unprotected sex and not knowing where the aids came from, it was a failed attempt at being creative I hate everything about that ?

There's no such thing as "a failed attempt at being creative".
  • its....JOHN B

Yea there is, it's called Sekou story clown
  • 5 Grand

Would it be better if he used the same formula over and over again?
  • its....JOHN B

Would it be better if he used the same formula over and over again?

The ? ? That particular formula sucked that's all I'm saying, the story isn't on the same echelon of most of the stories he's come up with throughout his catalog and him speeding his voice up to sound like a chick was dumb, he should of scratched the whole idea and gave us three verses to live now
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All those Kelis and marriage centered songs are wack and even worse now given what happened

SD is plain weak to me, but full disclosure, I don't really like double albums. I think they all would be much better slimmed down to single albums. You could take the best songs from SD and put it in a single album and it would probably be close to classic. As it is though, the album is meh. It's not terrible, bu it's not particularly great either.
  • 5 Grand
    All those Kelis and marriage centered songs are wack and even worse now given what happened

SD is plain weak to me, but full disclosure, I don't really like double albums. I think they all would be much better slimmed down to single albums. You could take the best songs from SD and put it in a single album and it would probably be close to classic. As it is though, the album is meh. It's not terrible, bu it's not particularly great either.

Nas at his worst is better than 9 out of 10 MCs at their best.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Message to the feds, I like but American way is one of the worst nas songs ever and the worst qtip beat ever and I can't think of another bad tip beat. I swear nas came to tip and said "give me the worst disc on your drive, I'll rap off beat worst than the white people on that luda skit and I'll have my wife that can't sing for ? do a corny hook"
  • The Lonious Monk

Nas at his worst is better than 9 out of 10 MCs at their best.

You're letting your fanboy show. Nas may very well be the best pure MC ever, but his worst material is not better than 90% of the rappers out there.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Disc: 1
    Intro
    A Message To The Feds, Sincerely, We The People
    Nazareth Savage

American Way - Nas feat. Kelis
    These Are Our Heroes
    Disciple
    Sekou Story - Nas feat. Scarlett
    Live Now - Nas feat. Scarlett

Rest Of My Life
    Just a Moment - Nas feat. Quan
    Reason - Nas featuring Emily
    You Know My Style
    Disc: 2
    Suicide Bounce - Nas featuring Busta Rhymes
    Street's Disciple - Nas feat. Olu Dara
    U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography Of Rakim)

Virgo - Nas featuring Ludacris and Doug E. Fresh
    Remember The Times (Intro)
    Remember The Times
    The Makings Of A Perfect ?
    Getting Married
    No One Else In The Room - Nas featuring Maxwell
    Bridging the Gap - Nas feat. Olu Dara
    War - Nas featuring Keon Bryce
    Me & You (Dedicated To Destiny)
    Thief's Theme

Rest of My Life made disc one and Suicide Bounce made me hate disc two.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who’s gon’ hold me down now? Hold me down now!
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    So, from what I seen

BIG - 37.5
    Pac - 37.5
    Jay - 36.5
    Nas - 42

Ummmm.....I'd say that makes him the GOAT by these metrics, right? And this is a LOW score, based on others input.

Who's up next: Em, Cube, LL, T.I.??
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the entire Street's Disciple on one disc... dope album to me
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rip.dilla wrote: »

That's how you gotta do most double albums gotta make em one album that's why I liked how Jay made the blueprint 2.1 outta blueprint 2 just took the best songs (outside of for sum reason leaving blueprint 2 off of it) and made one album I wish more rappers would do that with their double albums
  • 5 Grand
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »

That's how you gotta do most double albums gotta make em one album that's why I liked how Jay made the blueprint 2.1 outta blueprint 2 just took the best songs (outside of for sum reason leaving blueprint 2 off of it) and made one album I wish more rappers would do that with their double albums

Yeah but the label makes more money with a double album. They can charge $22 for a double album while a single album is $11.99. At least thats how it used to be.
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is big pun next?
  • The Lonious Monk
    270crownst wrote: »
    Is big pun next?

Nah Eminem. I just did it.