Article: War on police? Many officers fear growing tensions…

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/08/23/detroit-police-tensions/104902710/
Has it become fashionable to lash out at police? Law enforcement advocates fear it’s a growing trend in some circles.

Whether they’re being shot at, cussed at, zapped with a stun gun or denied service at a restaurant, many police officers in Metro Detroit and across the country feel they’re being disrespected more than ever.

“Everybody thinks it’s cool to not talk to the police, and to hate the police,” Detroit Police officer Ki’Juan Anderson said. “The bad guys love this. A criminal will commit a crime, and nobody wants to tell us what happened. We’re trying to help them ... and they say ‘get off my porch; I hate the police.’ ”

Anderson, who is assigned to the department’s Gang Intelligence unit, was in the Special Operations crew of Kenneth Steil in September, when Steil was killed in a shootout with a carjacking suspect.

Since then, 10 Detroit officers have been shot in the line of duty, while shots were fired at several other officers, including an incident July 20 in southwest Detroit near Chamberlain and Elsmere. Officers were responding to a call of shots fired in the area when a man shot at them. The officers returned fire and the suspect ran away.

Since Steil was killed, “I feel like I’m going to get shot every day,” Anderson said. “But I have to put that aside and go out there and do my job.”

Nationwide, 143 officers were killed on duty last year, the most in five years, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

The organization’s “Mid-Year Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities Report,” released last month, found a 30 percent increase in line-of-duty deaths in the first six months of this year over the same period in 2016.

On Friday, six officers in Pennsylvania and Florida were shot, two fatally, in the space of a few hours.

“Most citizens are supportive, but we have a criminal element that has no reservations (about) shooting at cops,” Detroit Police Chief James Craig said. “They buy into the ... anti-police rhetoric and they feel they have a green light to attack officers.”

Singer Trey Songz, whose real name is Tremaine Neverson, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts of disturbing the peace after he punched a Detroit police sergeant following a December concert at Joe Louis Arena. He was sentenced to probation and will serve no jail time.

During a free-speech rally Saturday in Boston, city police tweeted: “#BPD is asking individuals to refrain from throwing ? , bottles and other harmful projectiles at our officers.”

Police say the anger against cops is manifested in ways other than violence. In several recent incidents, restaurant workers refused to wait on police officers. Late last month in New York, a Dunkin’ Donuts employee allegedly told two officers, “I don’t serve cops.” New York officers began a boycott of the chain.

“I think this is one of the more challenging times that I’ve seen in this profession and I’ve been in it a long time,” Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said. “I think there’s a false narrative out there that police officers are quick to use force, quick to violence, quick to improper behavior.”

Another indication cops have fallen out of fashion: Police departments in Michigan and across the country are having trouble recruiting.

Kenneth Reed, spokesman for the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, scoffed at the suggestion there’s a war on cops.

“There’s a war on the citizenry by law enforcement,” Reed said. “There’s an element of uneasiness and even fear among citizens, particularly among African descent and other brown people — especially when you have Donald Trump saying it’s OK to brutalize people when they’re taken into police custody.”

During a speech last month at Suffolk County Community College in Long Island, New York, President Trump told a gathering of police officers: “When you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over (their heads)? I said, you can take the hand away, OK?”

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters: “I believe (Trump) was making a joke at the time,” but the president’s statement was roundly denounced by civil rights groups and police officials nationwide.

Videos shared on social media, including the April 2015 incident in which Charleston, South Carolina, police officer Michael Slager fatally shot unarmed black motorist Walter Scott in the back, has fueled the perception that all cops are bad, police officials say.

Slager, who pleaded guilty in May of willfully using excessive force to deprive Scott of his civil rights, is awaiting sentencing.

“Are there some problem officers? Absolutely, and nobody wants a ? cop off the street more than we do,” Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw said. “But that’s the small minority. All police are not like that, despite the perception by some.”

Ray Winans, a former gang member who was convicted of manslaughter at age 15 and now mentors Detroit youths, said the chasm between police and citizens is the fault of both parties.

“There’s a mistrust that goes both ways: Police hear horror stories about community members and believe them, and community members hear horror stories about the police and believe them,” he said. “But it’s not near as bad in Detroit as it is in other cities. That’s because Chief Craig has done a good job being transparent and holding problem officers accountable.”

giphy.gif

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all police officials say disrespect is on the rise. In Denton Township, near Houghton Lake, police Chief Dallas McGeary said he’s seen more support recently than at any other time during his 18-year career.

“Maybe it’s happening in the big cities, but I’ve had more people shake my hand and tell me they appreciate me now than ever,” McGeary said.

Darnell Blackburn, district field representative for the Michigan Coalition on Law Enforcement Standards, which oversees training for officers statewide, said there’s not necessarily a war on cops — rather, “there’s a war on the moral fiber of society.”

“It’s not just police who are being disrespected,” said Blackburn, a longtime police officer who is director of Prat LLC, a training consulting company that teaches cops conflict resolution skills and how to detect implicit bias.

“I think it permeates every aspect of society,” he said. “People don’t respect politicians; they don’t respect teachers or social service workers, or anyone in authority because there’s been a decay in morals.”

Craig is among the law enforcement officials who say the hateful rhetoric and violence has ramped up since the 2014 fatal shooting of Michael Brown by Ferguson, Missouri, police officer Darren Wilson.

“That’s another example of the narrative taking hold,” Craig said. “The investigation found Michael Brown wasn’t shot in the back, his hands weren’t up, and he tried to grab the officer’s gun, but you still have people out here saying ‘hands up, don’t shoot.’ It doesn’t matter what the facts are.”

Craig said an incident last month in which a citizen used a stun gun on a police officer is another example of narrative over truth.

“The aunt comes out and says the woman only used the Taser because her brother was being beaten by Detroit officers,” Craig said. “We released the video that refuted her allegations, but it’s those kind of incidents that incite people.”

An FBI report released in May suggests several factors are influencing violence against police officers. “The Assailant Study — Mindsets and Behaviors,” studied 50 incidents in which officers were killed in the line of duty in 2016.

“The assailants inspired by social and/or political reasons believed that attacking police officers was their way to ‘get justice’ for those who had been, in their view, unjustly killed by law enforcement,” said the report.

Elected officials also have played a role in inflaming the public, the report said.

“Nearly every police official interviewed agreed that for the first time, law enforcement not only felt that their national political leaders publicly stood against them, but also that the politicians’ words and actions signified that disrespect to law enforcement was acceptable in the aftermath of the Brown shooting,” the FBI report said.

Bouchard, head of government affairs for the Major County Sheriffs of America, said former President Barack Obama helped influence negative perceptions of police.

“He issued an order about police using military equipment without even asking what that equipment was used for,” said Bouchard, who said he tried unsuccessfully to persuade Obama the equipment was needed. “There was more emphasis on rhetoric than reality.”

Anderson, the Detroit Gang Unit officer, said he tries to offset anti-police feelings by respecting citizens, and trying to talk to them.

“I just try to reach somebody every day,” he said. “I’m always trying to talk people into seeing the logic of things. Don’t listen to everything you’ve heard on Facebook.”
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They afraid of they own shadow
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's White folks doing the bussing too. Implosion 101 is in progress. My people, get ya popcorn and enjoy the fuckery for once that doesn't involve us.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it very strange how obsessed a lot of white people are with proving they are the victims. It doesn't make sense.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coward ass pigs killing folks shooting them in the back while they are handcuffed or running away, shooting unarmed black kids and women but got the nerve to say we are starting a war against them the audacity of the devilish pigs to feel like someone gives a ? on how they feel man ? THE POLICE!
  • kingtob330
    kingtob330 Members Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AZTG wrote: »
    Stop shooting ? and tensions will go down

"We only shoot black people"
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they feel the tension in the suburbs or at Starbucks

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The group that kills the most police in America are white men. Outside of what we do to each other, Blacks as a race are largely not violent to other races unless provoked. Whites still lead the country in hate crimes.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-whites-hate-crimes-20170106-story.html

Black Americans are still largely only talking and trying to hold police accountable for their actions. Collectively as a race there have been no attacks against the police. Only individuals who with no organization acted as vigilantes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-cops-killed-white-men-conservatives-silent-article-1.2632965

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it very strange how obsessed a lot of white people are with proving they are the victims. It doesn't make sense.

It does make sense.

Victimhood is a privelige that their friends in Israel discovered. You ever have a girlfriend who ? up, but when you get mad at her, she starts crying and acting like she's being treated badly? Next thing you know, you're coddling her while she makes no apologies or concessions? That's what this is about. The victim doesn't have to give up anything nor admit any wrongdoing...

Even if they aren't really the victim.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭