Goldeneye 007-20 years later

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
goldeneye-007.png

GoldenEye 007 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Rare and based on the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye. It was released for the Nintendo 64 video game console in August 1997. The game features a single-player campaign in which players assume the role of British Secret Intelligence Service agent James Bond as he fights to prevent a criminal syndicate from using a satellite weapon against London to cause a global financial meltdown. The game includes a split-screen multiplayer mode in which two, three, or four players can compete in different types of deathmatch games.

GoldenEye 007 was developed over a period of two and a half years by an inexperienced team. It was originally conceived as an on-rails shooter inspired by Sega's Virtua Cop, before being redesigned as a free-roaming shooter. The game was highly acclaimed by the gaming media and sold over eight million copies worldwide, making it the third-best-selling Nintendo 64 game. It received multiple year-end awards, including the BAFTA Interactive Entertainment Games Award, and four awards from the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences: Console Action Game of the Year, Console Game of the Year, Interactive Title of the Year, and Outstanding Achievement in Software Engineering.

Retrospectively, GoldenEye 007 is considered an important game in the history of first-person shooters for demonstrating the viability of game consoles as platforms for the genre, and for signalling a transition from the then-standard Doom-like approach to a more realistic style. It pioneered features such as atmospheric single-player missions, stealth elements, and a console multiplayer deathmatch mode. The game is frequently cited as one of the greatest video games of all time. A spiritual successor, Perfect Dark, was released in 2000, while a reimagining of the game, also titled GoldenEye 007, was released in 2010.

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rare was om the path to being the goat
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Floating remote mines was the ? ........

Only played in 2 levels on multiplayer

Bunker & Facility

Me and lil bro had the "No Oddjob" rule

Paintball mode still the goat
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only played 2 levels? wtf
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    only played 2 levels? wtf

They was our favorites. You could only do the floating remote mines on bunker. And we loved throwing a mine in the vent on facility. Like, we played on other levels, but it was rare.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This with online multiplayer would've been goat
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always wondered who the ? that woman on the cover was supposed to be. She's not in the movie.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Oh and did any of the remakes finally implement the All Bond mode or nah?
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Nope
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the first games I was obsessed with. Played that ? non stop. Just played it a few months ago on my fire TV with the Apps2Fire
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Floating remote mines was the ? ........

Only played in 2 levels on multiplayer

Bunker & Facility

Me and lil bro had the "No Oddjob" rule

Paintball mode still the goat

Shoutout to the No Oddjob rule. ? running around all little, hard to shoot. Many long nights on this game.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

its been so long I forgot what all bond mode was. I have goldeneye wii. online multiplayer was fun when wii connect was up.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    the silo, the train, the archives and the war torn ruined city in Russia with the tank was the goat levels
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    I always wondered who the ? that woman on the cover was supposed to be. She's not in the movie.

???

that was the Natalya chick from the movie...the pic is prolly airbrushed, but chea..
  • Broddie
    Options

its been so long I forgot what all bond mode was. I have goldeneye wii. online multiplayer was fun when wii connect was up.

You got to select the other Bond iterations like Connery, Moore and Dalton in multiplayer and not just Brosnan's. It was supposes to be in the original game but Rare dropped it at the last minute.
  • Broddie
    Options
    _Jay wrote: »

???

that was the Natalya chick from the movie...the pic is prolly airbrushed, but chea..

Airbrushed like a mufucka. She looks nothing like that in the movie.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the sole reason I never really played this was because at the time I was already a FPS vet from games like Doom, Quake, Heretec, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, and Rise of the Triad. Back then I was also playing online multiplayer thanks to Dwango and later Quake's TCP-based multi-player and later Quakeworld's improved network support. Coming from that there's no way GoldenEye was gonna be appealing to me.

Quake 2 was also released a few months after GoldenEye... Yeah... that happened as well.
  • Splackavelli
    Options

You got to select the other Bond iterations like Connery, Moore and Dalton in multiplayer and not just Brosnan's. It was supposes to be in the original game but Rare dropped it at the last minute.

I don't remember wii having that. that musthave been on the ps3 and xbox360 versions.
  • Broddie
    Options

I don't remember wii having that. that musthave been on the ps3 and xbox360 versions.

genocide already confirmed it. No version of the remake included it.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cheating ass golden gun lol