Why Isn't Snoop Discussed More With The GOATS???

Comments

• bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bkkbully wrote: »
    Tha Last Meal is a classic record and is highly underrated.

That was a good album too, but not a classic. It didn't shake the game up.

Wait, so a classic record has to shake the game up? Please define shaking up the game because I can name several classic records that didn't shake up the game.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Snoop ain't a legend cause he can't rap like nas."

The IC

Hold up. Serious question....can some one be a legend and still not one of the goats? I would say yes
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marc123 wrote: »
    It's common knowledge he's one of the goats..

giphy.gif

U new niqqaz ? me..no respect for pioneers n legends..

Bruh come on! Doggstyle is a classic n i still bump it to this day. But everything outside of that has been very forgetable, yea he has had a couple hot songs her n there. But overall very meh.

BTW who u callin a new ? ? Im in my mid 30s. I have my still have my og copy of doggystle that i bought in 93. smh lol

I'll respectively disagree. If all he has is doggstyle and a couple of hot songs I doubt he would still be still putting out material 20+ yrs later. I'm not saying everyone has to be a fan but at least give him props for still being somewhat relevant in today's music scene. Snoop ain't Coolio my g..
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Snoop ain't a legend cause he can't rap like nas."

The IC

Hold up. Serious question....can some one be a legend and still not one of the goats? I would say yes

Shout out to Chuck D
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    IMO he is considered a GOAT, but in what he has done for hip hop rather then his catalog of music... Partly because he has become a parody of himself and dropped alot of wack music...

ALTHOUGH there is no doubting he has one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time in '? ' and he bought an original flow/style to hip hop, that is two historical things right there, plus he has featured heavily on classic hip hop albums...

BUT as time went by I think his music got weaker and at times terrible, but he still maintained his image, it became softer and more mainstream imo purely to keep a revenue of income... Im not hating on that as I doubt he got paid what he should of on Death Row, so he did what he did secure his future...
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I don't see snoop as a great rapper like a Nas or a Rakim, ? was a classic because of Dr Dre he is still a legend tho with a shitload of good music.

I think his early 1991-1994 era and maybe even the late stuff with Pac was lyrical and his flow at times especially in the ? /Chronic era was butter smooth, like he slid over beats with a silky flow and painted pictures...
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Life is Good is a forgettable album. Outside of Daughters & Summer On Smash I don't remember it.

Like Snoops discography after ? .

Snoop became a singles guy after his first album.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stew we might need a poll for Last meal getting in the vault to see if that's a classic or not becuz alot of ppl myself included seem to think it is and I ain't tryna steal another ? thread series
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    @Stew we might need a poll for Last meal getting in the vault to see if that's a classic or not becuz alot of ppl myself included seem to think it is and I ain't tryna steal another ? thread series

We can do that. Good call
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I remember right before his second album came out he was the biggest rapper out and that first Chronic album might as well count as a Snoop classic because everybody was checkin for dude or biting his swag from 92-like late 95. Even Biggie started off his life after death album giving Snoop his props. I think other rappers (his peers) know he's probably the most popular most recognizable rapper ever. It's the fans that front on him and act like he ain't lyrically this or that, but you know what? Neither are a few other rappers that are hall of fame types but y'all don't pull that "lyrical miracle" rappidy rap ? with them. Like for instance When was the last Classic album LL Cool J has had? ? ain't Lyrically spit nothing amazing in decades and he still get to be a legend, Y'all don't do that ? wit him like y'all doing wit snoop. They actually similar, they just make a few hits now and don't put whole albums together but at this stage... they don't have to!

And Snoop is still one of the best freestyling off the top of the head. I still remember him out doing Talib Kweli when they was in the booth together on rap city. "The ? " was a freestyled song!! He might not have had a classic every album, but he always have atleast one if not more hits on each album

Give the man his damn just due!
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He changed his style after ? , and never looked back. For that, the fans has spoken. Shout out to this song tho:

Real G's (Funkmaster Flex & Big Kap Feat. Snoop Dogg)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcyt0Dt3wg

I always thought it was dope that he did this after Biggie did a similar drop on his beats

My thing about this thread is ? take shots at the ? right now but let Snoop pass away tomorrow. All of a sudden everyone that's in here frontin gonna give off that Tupac effect and be calling him one of the Goats and naming off favorite songs. Why not appreciate him while he's alive?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The snoop ? is mad tricky IMO

like he was killing then first half then depending on you ask he did good in the 3rd but in the 4 he was pure ass

And that made us forget how good he once was he did a lot of cornball ?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His music isnt inconsistent, but hes relevant. Popularity wise he's the Micheal Jackson of rap. Him and Ice Cube deserve more accolades for what they have accomplished. Is there anybody even comparable to them on the East right now?
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    After reading this ..

When asked if he will be digging into his rhyme books this go-round, Snoop told XXL that instead he will be the mouthpiece for other rappers’ words. “I got a couple of my little homies that’s putting the pen to the paper,” he shared. “I be letting my homies get on by writing and expressing they thoughts through me. I be letting them have opportunities to be a star through me.”

Read More: XXcLusive: Snoop Dogg Using Ghost Writers for Malice in Wonderland - XXL | http://www.xxlmag.com/xxl-magazine/2009/07/xxclusive-snoop-dogg-uses-ghost-writers-for-new-lp-“i-got-a-couple-of-little-homies-putting-the-pen-to-the-paper”/?trackback=tsmclip

^wtf?? snoop can never b a hip hop lyrical great top 10 he can b top 10 reciter tho...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kzzl wrote: »
    His music isnt inconsistent, but hes relevant. Popularity wise he's the Micheal Jackson of rap. Him and Ice Cube deserve more accolades for what they have accomplished. Is there anybody even comparable to them on the East right now?

Uh jayz>>>>>both them ?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R&G is a masterpiece: that is all.
  • thagreat45
    thagreat45 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    Snoop isn't discussed more because like those that mentioned this before me, he just lacks the catalog, the lyricism and impact. He came out strong wit Dre on Deep Cover and on that Chronic album, then he dropped ? the album that put me on to rap actually, as it was the first rap album I heard all the way through and I was 9 at the time.

For him to come out in a big way and then drop Doggfather? If Dre and Daz kept producing for him consistently, and he wouldn't have gotten so laid back and lackadaisical wit his flow I think he would be. Cuz when he came out under No Limit those albums were average at best. I heard over the years how people were saying Tha Last Meal was dope, I still haven't listen to it.

I'm sure he's got some albums worth listening to R&G, Blue Carpet Treatment, and Last Meal, but to he too inconsistent. Nas, Jay, Big, Pac, Face, they all made more of an impact and better music overall.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he's top5 but to me murda was the case is top 10 hip hop song of all time and he's top 10 off the top freestyle
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bkkbully wrote: »
    Tha Last Meal is a classic record and is highly underrated.

Came in here to say this...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall Snoop has had a ton of Bangers through the years but in terms of albums the only classic album is ? other albums were good and had classic songs but overall were not classic...
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoop is a legend that's without a doubt not the greatest rapper tho
  • 90's Era
    90's Era Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    He probabely is the most famous rapper ever.if not 1st no lower than 3rd on that list.
    A non hip hop person knows or has heard of "Snoop Doggy Dog"as they would say..
    Along with his music over 20 years which includes many classic songs,collabos,and one of the greatest album's ever...
    Puts him on the legendary list..

But as a fan of his he is nowhere near a Top 5 or 10 ...imo
    And that doesn't diminish his career one bit.because that man has been
    a great hip hop artist and ambassador... And continues to be..

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoop been wack damn near 25 years, it's been all downhill(one good song drop it like it's hot) since ? .

A west coast redman trash rappa who is more known for being a character

Only those biased west coast chuck rockin herbs,white boys and mexicans bump snoop