Study help- What is the purpose of the evolution theory?

Options
Scholar Jaw
Scholar Jaw Members Posts: 498
edited February 2011 in The Social Lounge
Im not looking for a copy and pasted essay, I just want a general idea

For example,
Is it to give an alternative account for the creation of the universe?

Help guys!!

Comments

• IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Like all theories, it's used to explain something.

But more specific, to explain how animals evolved from their ancestors because of natural selection. However, it can be used now to explain how humans evolved from apes, so to speak.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    No. Evolution is not a theory, but an observed component of biology.

What's theoretical are the methods in which some organisms evolved and the precursors to their evolution.
  • Scholar Jaw
    Scholar Jaw Members Posts: 498
    edited January 2011
    Options
    To both K_Smart and flat money,

Does it account for the creation of humans then?
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2011
    Options
    To both K_Smart and flat money,

Does it account for the creation of humans then?
    If by "the creation of humans" you mean "how humans came to be", then the answer is "yes".
  • Rizzo-da-Great
    Rizzo-da-Great Members Posts: 73
    edited January 2011
    Options
    it doesnt have anything to do with creation of anything, it has everything to do with what happened AFTER the creation if thats even the correct word, and how living things developed into the diverse collection of life that we see today. if you are looking for how life started i believe its called abiogenesis or something like that.

but yes we all came from apes, so next time a white person calls you a monkeylet him know he a monkey too lol
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    it doesnt have anything to do with creation of anything, it has everything to do with what happened AFTER the creation if thats even the correct word, and how living things developed into the diverse collection of life that we see today. if you are looking for how life started i believe its called abiogenesis or something like that.

but yes we all came from apes, so next time a white person calls you a monkeylet him know he a monkey too lol

Humans not only descend from great apes, we are great apes. The other African apes (chimpanzees and gorillas) are more closely related to us than they are to orangutans.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Evolution is a very incomplete theory as well. The question of what even causes evolution still has yet to be answered.
  • fiat_money
    edited January 2011
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Evolution is a very incomplete theory as well...
    How so?
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Evolution is a very incomplete theory as well. The question of what even causes evolution still has yet to be answered.

The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, it can't be seriously denied. Modern biology is dependent on our understanding of evolution by natural selection. Natural selection, for example, explains why strains of bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.
  • Rizzo-da-Great
    Rizzo-da-Great Members Posts: 73
    edited January 2011
    Options

lol @ incomplete theory
  • kzzl
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The theory of evolution still has some questions and possibilities unknown. So... I say it's incomplete.

Full article.....

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/070816_gm_evolution.html

And if you're "Not gonna read all that ? "....

Top 10 greatest mysteries in science

10. What drives evolution
    What Drives Evolution? You've heard it before: Natural selection is accepted by scientists as the main engine driving the array of organisms and their complex features. It is one of the most well tested theories in science.

But is evolution via natural selection the only explanation for complex organisms?

"I think one of the greatest mysteries in biology at the moment is whether natural selection is the only process capable of generating organismal complexity," said Massimo Pigliucci of the Department of Ecology and Evolution at Stony Brook University in New York, "or whether there are other properties of matter that also come into play. I suspect the latter will turn out to be true."
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Smh @ the t/s slacking.
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

For example,

Help guys!!

Not at all. Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of the universe. It's just the explanation for how biological organisms change and adapt to their environments in a universe that is still developing.
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

For example,

Help guys!!

1st off you have to understand the definition of aSCIENTIFIC theory. Scientific theory is based on scientific law and empirical evidence, amongst other things. 2nd evolution doesn't explain the creation of the universe, neither does it explain the creation of life on earth. Evolutionary biology explains the progress of life from the 1st forms of life on earth to the complex organisms that we have today.
  • longmeat
    edited January 2011
    Options

Uhh, the answer to what causes evolution has been known for a long ass time breh. The only people that doesn't understand the evolution and natural selection are either A) religious people who want to say ? did it, B) the ignorant who haven't done any research, or C) the disingenuous who understand evolution, but like to use straw man analogies to somehow disprove it (IE if evolution is real, where's the crocoduck and BS like that).
  • longmeat
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The theory of evolution still has some questions and possibilities unknown. So... I say it's incomplete.

Full article.....

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/070816_gm_evolution.html

And if you're "Not gonna read all that ? "....

Top 10 greatest mysteries in science

10. What drives evolution
    What Drives Evolution? You've heard it before: Natural selection is accepted by scientists as the main engine driving the array of organisms and their complex features. It is one of the most well tested theories in science.

But is evolution via natural selection the only explanation for complex organisms?

"I think one of the greatest mysteries in biology at the moment is whether natural selection is the only process capable of generating organismal complexity," said Massimo Pigliucci of the Department of Ecology and Evolution at Stony Brook University in New York, "or whether there are other properties of matter that also come into play. I suspect the latter will turn out to be true."

Evolutions is as "incomplete" of a theory as the theory of gravity. We also can't understand why the theory of gravity doesn't apply in black holes, but that doesn't discount the fact that the theory of gravity is a fundamental law of our universe. Einstein's theory of relaitivity also fails in black holes, but that theory is as concrete as nas taking more L's than anyone else in history.
  • Itz Luigi Bitch!
    Itz Luigi Bitch! Members Posts: 240
    edited January 2011
    Options

Let's try environment...

I.E.
    Animals that live in cold weather develope layers of fat & blubber, or really thick coates of hair...

Or sea creatures having gills and land animals having lungs...

That is evolution my friend...

Why do you think doctors tell you to not abuse antibiotics?
  • Itz Luigi Bitch!
    Itz Luigi Bitch! Members Posts: 240
    edited January 2011
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    Evolutions is as "incomplete" of a theory as the theory of gravity. We also can't understand why the theory of gravity doesn't apply in black holes, but that doesn't discount the fact that the theory of gravity is a fundamental law of our universe. Einstein's theory of relaitivity also fails in black holes, but that theory is as concrete as nas taking more L's than anyone else in history.

Do you really know what your talking about?
  • kzzl
    edited January 2011
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »

The bolded is what I look at. When every answer, leads to more questions you can't say science has it on lock. It's called a "theory" for a reason. There's still some doubt to it after all is said and done. If there wasn't, it wouldn't be called the "Theory Of Evolution". They would call it "This Is How Evolution Works With 110% Certainty", or something of that nature. There's a lot science knows, but there is still a lot it doesn't. We're still in a phase of trial and error right now it seems.

And IMO is we truly fully understood evolution, ? would be different. Human's wouldn't be no where near as frail as we are currently. Plus... it would have a price tag on it by now.

EDIT:
    The article claimed the theory of evolution to be a mystery, so by my mind, it sounded incomplete. Nothing more. Before y'all start quoting from some big ass book or Professor with a name I can't pronounce, know I ain't an intellectual ? to begin with. Find the ? they interviewed for the article if you want to contest it.
  • longmeat
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The bolded is what I look at. When every answer, leads to more questions you can't say science has it on lock. It's called a "theory" for a reason. There's still some doubt to it after all is said and done. If there wasn't, it wouldn't be called the "Theory Of Evolution". They would call it "This Is How Evolution Works With 110% Certainty", or something of that nature. There's a lot science knows, but there is still a lot it doesn't. We're still in a phase of trial and error right now it seems.

And IMO is we truly fully understood evolution, ? would be different. Human's wouldn't be no where near as frail as we are currently. Plus... it would have a price tag on it by now.

EDIT:
    The article claimed the theory of evolution to be a mystery, so by my mind, it sounded incomplete. Nothing more. Before y'all start quoting from some big ass book or Professor with a name I can't pronounce, know I ain't an intellectual ? to begin with. Find the ? they interviewed for the article if you want to contest it.

son, go read and understand the definition of scientific theory. Saying it's just a theory means you don't even have a basic fundamental understanding of the subject. Like I said, people who make these types of statements are either willfully ignorant, being disingenuous, or just don't know any better.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Question:
    "What is the purpose of evolutionary theory?"

Answer:
    To provide another excuse for man to deny the existence of ? . The devil is conditioning humanity to accept the anti-christ when he is revealed. Evolutionary theory and alien conspiracy are 2 of the tools the devil is using to prepare a godless world for the acceptance of a ? -like figure, the anti-christ.

Read Revelation 13 for wisdom, knowledge, instruction, and understanding. ? bless.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Simply put, anything science related that deals with creation is to debunk religion. They have created a system of fasle knowledge that only allows the "thinker" to use a limited set of variables and rules. Science is the new "religion". We must accept science even though it doesn't have full explanations hence the term theory or scientific theory. It does not matter what they can prove it only matters that "you" can't disprove it.

Welocme to modern society.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i do not understand why anyone would come to the IC for help with their homework when google exists

these are some of the dumbest people on Earth
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i do not understand why anyone would come to the IC for help with their homework when google exists

these are some of the dumbest people on Earth

Possibly because they aren't quite comfortable with advanced, technical, academic text, like Wikipedia.
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Question:
    "What is the purpose of evolutionary theory?"

Answer:
    To provide another excuse for man to deny the existence of ? . The devil is conditioning humanity to accept the anti-christ when he is revealed. Evolutionary theory and alien conspiracy are 2 of the tools the devil is using to prepare a godless world for the acceptance of a ? -like figure, the anti-christ.

Read Revelation 13 for wisdom, knowledge, instruction, and understanding. ? bless.

lol at your avi.

so jesus is "coming soon" for the past 2000 years yet you think science needs "excuses" to deny the existence of ? ?

science doesn't really give a ? about ? or whatever you believe in.
    Simply put, anything science related that deals with creation is to debunk religion. They have created a system of fasle knowledge that only allows the "thinker" to use a limited set of variables and rules. Science is the new "religion". We must accept science even though it doesn't have full explanations hence the term theory or scientific theory. It does not matter what they can prove it only matters that "you" can't disprove it.

Welocme to modern society.

so you're telling me that scientists went back in time and planted fossil evidence to back up their claims as part of some conspiracy to discredit religion?