Is a Person's Sense of Humor a Mark of Intelligence?

Options
MAKAVELI25
MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Not to sound like an elitist: But I often find that smarter people are more amused by subtle/unconventional humor while their counterparts are amused by "Gag" humor. Is there a correlation? Discuss

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ? up as it sounds, I agree 100%. Not sure if it's as black and white as that. But there is definitely a correlation.
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think the dividing line is... If Lil Duval makes you laugh alot.
  • American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i have a very dry sense of humor, and i notice if it goes over peoples heads too much i tend to think they may be dumb.

case in point, i went on a double date this weekend. my girlfriend had to take some medication at the table and the other chicks date goes "is that prescription?"

i say, "no she's just an unapologetic drug addict" everyone laughs but him.

He says, " is she really a drug addict?"
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That may be true. i thought that futurama was some of the funniest tv in a while. I'd tell people about the parts on the christmas episodes where santa was a robot that had a glitch and judged everyone as evil and tried to ? them. He had the most epic line in a tv show. "Your mistletoe is no match for my.. tow missile" That line as well as the whole show is just funny to me. Then cnn did a special and reveled that 4 of the 5 writers for the show have a phd. Idk, I just don't see steven hawkin finding any kind of reality tv remotely funny. I'd love to see the education demographic of the people that watch MTV regularly. This was sort of the idea they tried to show in the movie Idiocracy where the best show on tv was about a guy getting hit in the nuts.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I know alot of ? ppl who are funny as hell though.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think the dividing line is... If Lil Duval makes you laugh alot.

lmao........
  • American.Loo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I find the sublte humor of the Office funnier that Steve Carrell's idiotic scenes.

He's hilarious too though. But its the very sublte things about that show that impress me the most.
  • American.Loo
    edited January 2011
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    I know alot of ? ppl who are funny as hell though.

me too though. even that ? humor takes skill.

you'd be surprised i bet alotta ? 's just "act" dumb because they know their audience.

lil duvall does that ? all the time, then he'll flip it and say some real ?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    yes and no...there's some ? that's just plain ignorant that I will laugh at just has hard as I will laugh at a joke that has some sense of social commentary or intelligence injected into it...just depends on the way it's presented though I do prefer the latter
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    me too though. even that ? humor takes skill.

you'd be surprised i bet alotta ? 's just "act" dumb because they know their audience.

lil duvall does that ? all the time, then he'll flip it and say some real ?

yea, i can ? wit ? like duval or comic view ? , and still find ? like steve carell funny..
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My view.

There are some dumb funny ? , and some smart funny ? , and vice versa.

^ Or should I say, some dumb non funny ? , and some smart non funny people.
  • blackrain
    edited January 2011
    Options
    there's certain ? I'll honestly question you for finding funny though...like for the life of me I cannot understand anyone who can find ? like ? , Borat, Napoleon Dynamite funny...
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I find the sublte humor of the Office funnier that Steve Carrell's idiotic scenes.

He's hilarious too though. But its the very sublte things about that show that impress me the most.

Agreed. Ryan is one of the most underrated characters on that show. It's the subtle nuances that bring it all together
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    there's certain ? I'll honestly question you for finding funny though...like for the life of me I cannot understand anyone who can find ? like ? , Borat, Napoleon Dynamite funny...

Haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite in YEARS, but it was funny when it came out. I rly dont' understand how anyone can find shows like "House of Payne" or even "Two And a Half Men" funny. I don't like easy humor, you can see a lot of the jokes coming from a mile away. "Parks and Recreation" might be the most underrated show on TV right now.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i always thought humor was a mark of intelligence...? like clerks....that ? be having me dying...
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    if its funny i will laugh you dont have to be a genius to find humor in whats funny or not
  • blackrain
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite in YEARS, but it was funny when it came out. I rly dont' understand how anyone can find shows like "House of Payne" or even "Two And a Half Men" funny. I don't like easy humor, you can see a lot of the jokes coming from a mile away. "Parks and Recreation" might be the most underrated show on TV right now.

I tried watching that movie like 3 times...could never make it through without wanting to ? myself...I was that bored...i don't get the House of Payne show either...but I find humor in weird ? ...like to me Intervention on A&E is hilarious...Beyond Scared Straight has made me laugh more than any show I've seen in months...
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    if its funny i will laugh you dont have to be a genius to find humor in whats funny or not

the realest ? i ever quoted. well maybe not the realest but co sign
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
  • quiet1
    quiet1 Members Posts: 146
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Them straight-to-DVD hood movie have provided me with plenty of laughs. Some one needs to give Tyrin "Kane" Turner a good gig
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    But at the same time, not everybody is a fan of dry humor. I've watched "Curb Your Enthusiasm", I get every joke, but I can't imagine tuning in every week to watch Larry David.
  • ItsBboy!
    ItsBboy! Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I watch the Daily Show and I'd say that subtle brand of humor more closely reflects my own. But still....Baracka Flocka Flame was funny as ? . I get what you're sayin tho. ? like Americas Funniest Home Videos doesn't amuse me.
  • Mr. Terrific
    Mr. Terrific Members Posts: 483
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Listen, if you want to see how simple a ? is, then sit down and watch House of Payne or the Monique show. Guarantee you ? in 2 days.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I can see how someone draw that parallel. I tend to favor that deadpan, subtle type of humor myself. And the people that I find to enjoy that same humor usually possesses a higher capacity of intellect. But I can also admire the intentional, tongue-in-cheek, exaggerated kind of humor as well. And also the surreal, eccentric, oddball humor im a fanboy of. But that might be more directly tied to my weirdo personality
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Haha I watch alternative comedy so I am smart.