What causes you to be a fan of another city's team?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
My opinion: your hometeam or closest to home team should come first. After that, you're free to pick favorites. I'm from Chicago so I root for all of our teams ? or not (except the ? ass Cubs... White Sox >>>> ) andI've been a fan of the Spurs since I was in high school because of their stability.

But I look in the Cheap Seats and the only 3 Official NBA team threads are Miami, LA, and Chicago. There ain't that many people from Cali and Florida on here so I'm thinking it's some nutriders in here. Chicago has plenty of reps on here so we're legit.

So, what say you? If you're from Cleveland, Memphis, or Indiana, just admit it and stand behind your ? ass teams.

Comments

• Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I stand behind all my ? ass teams...SMH at you turncoats
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My opinion: your hometeam or closest to home team should come first. After that, you're free to pick favorites. I'm from Chicago so I root for all of our teams ? or not (except the ? ass Cubs... White Sox >>>> ) andI've been a fan of the Spurs since I was in high school because of their stability.

But I look in the Cheap Seats and the only 3 Official NBA team threads are Miami, LA, and Chicago. There ain't that many people from Cali and Florida on here so I'm thinking it's some nutriders in here. Chicago has plenty of reps on here so we're legit.

So, what say you? If you're from Cleveland, Memphis, or Indiana, just admit it and stand behind your ? ass teams.

i've got a charlotte bobcats and charlotte hornets thread in the cheap seats but i was the only one posting in them :(
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I stand behind the niners (nh) win or lose not really sure why I'm a laker fan as opposed to GS or LAC to be honest never knew who GS was until I was already a die hard Laker fan...I root for the U in football because I never really had a college team and the U was the first game I went to and still catch them from time to time (when FSU comes to town or some other big team comes down)
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    No pro teams in my state so I'm free to do whateva!!! Haha... But I ride with the Hawks and Falcons, as well as the Suns and Colts...
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I always been a cowboys fan because the oilers sucked when I was lil.....and I'll ? myself before I root for the Texans. As far as basketball, I like the rockets but I also root for the Lakers....I'm more of a kobe fan than a Lakers fan so that's why I root for them

I became a duke basketball fan because when I was growing up (late 80s, early 90s) this region wasn't a hotbed of college hoops so I became a fan of the team they showed a lot on tv, duke. And I've been a fan since....
  • Ibex
    edited February 2011
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »
    I always been a cowboys fan because the oilers sucked when I was lil.....and I'll ? myself before I root for the Texans. As far as basketball, I like the rockets but I also root for the Lakers....I'm more of a kobe fan than a Lakers fan so that's why I root for them

I became a duke basketball fan because when I was growing up (late 80s, early 90s) this region wasn't a hotbed of college hoops so I became a fan of the team they showed a lot on tv, duke. And I've been a fan since....

Kobe been my favorite player since like 99, and Deion is my alltime favorite player in any sport and I never a day in my life rooted for the Lakers or the Cowbitches....you ? out here makin excuses
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Never rooted for a team outside of Chicago.
  • htowntx
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    Kobe been my favorite player since like 99, and Deion is my alltime favorite player in any sport and I never a day in my life rooted for the Lakers or the Cowbitches....you ? out here makin excuses

Yeah I know right? Because we are all the same so we gotta do ? the same way.
  • Ibex
    edited February 2011
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »
    Yeah I know right? Because we are all the same so we gotta do ? the same way.

Whatever reason or excuse works for you man, I don't really see the difference
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i just picked whatever team i wanted to and stuck with it.
  • htowntx
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ok u the one who had a problem or felt some sort of way about it. Lol I was just answering to the thread
  • Ibex
    edited February 2011
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »
    i just picked whatever team i wanted to and stuck with it.

Peagle I know you a Closet Skins fan you just won't admit it online
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    cuz when i was a kid i liked shaq so i became a laker fan
  • peagle05
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Peagle I know you a Closet Skins fan you just won't admit it online

nah man i done lost family and came out fine..but i dont think i could take the depression that could come with being a skins fan i would probably ? myself
  • Ibex
    edited February 2011
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »
    nah man i done lost family and came out fine..but i dont think i could take the depression that could come with being a skins fan i would probably ? myself

Well being that I plan on becoming your brother-in-law in the near future I won't hold that against you
  • peagle05
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Well being that I plan on becoming your brother-in-law in the near future I won't hold that against you

good luck with that
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I became a Cowboys fan when I was a little kid mainly because I was a huge Emmit Smith fan...that's where it started and it only helped that as a child i was overly obsessed with anything the color blue...watching the Cowboys is how I learned about football and that's the team I've stuck with...I think the whole "you can only root for your hometown team" stuff is ? ...people move, some states/cities don't have teams...some people don't root for teams more so just a certain player etc...there's a million reasons somebody can have to NOT root for their hometown team...just like I've been a Yankee fan my entire life...same way I learned football watching the Cowboys my dad taught me baseball by watching old Yankee games and people think that since the Nationals just appeared I'm supposed to automatically become a Nationals fan...
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i grew up on Joe Montana.. so when he went to KC that is where i went..
    and that is where i stayed.. even though im from LA and all my friends and fam are Raider fans..
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My state dont have any pro teams.

So the closest would be the indiana or ohio teams.

Im a Reds and Yanks fan MLB

Football I'm a Bengals fan

NBA I'm a Pistons fan.

If I made a thread for the Pistons or Bengals it would have to be a depreciation thread. I'm still loyal tho.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    always rooted for chicago sports teams (bears/bulls). i'll root for the white sox if they're in the playoffs but im yankees fan. have been since the late 90s when i was little
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited February 2011
    Options
    trying to be different? bitchassness? idk... well that's atleast what I tell people that aren't Laker fans around here I met lol
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Well for one I am a miami native born and raised(for 4 generations, unlike many transient families down here). so fans of all of the hometeams are deep in my family and its all ive known growing up. i like other teams in those sports also, but "da bottom" stays number one. so therefore coinciding with what the t/s stated all city teams are among my favorite(hurricanes, heat, marlins, panthers). all but one obviously, lol.

as ive stated earlier fans of all the city teams are in my family and the dolphins are no exception. so it also wasnt uncommon growing up watching them too. but the thing is with the dolphins i didnt develop a connection with them like i did the other teams. i still like them though. i guess u could consider them a number two team of some sort. as i will route for them every season and hope they succeed. but it wasnt until the 99-00 season did i start to develop a liking for another team. When that same entirely new team wearing white and navy blue in the first year of its franchise lined up against the buffalo bills i wrote them off. but what they did was simultaneously leave me in shock and wowed me at the same time the very last play of the game. that play was better known as the "music city miracle".

Ever since then I was like "what the hell? this team come outta nowhere." needless to say, i was then following everything the tennessee titans were doing. esp. up until superbowl 24. and i dont care what anybody says but they deserved to win that game, based on determination alone. unfortunately, a heart crushing 1 yard destroyed that dream of what possibly could have been. it also turned me into one of the biggest mcnair fans. as i thought he was one the better, arguably the best,"tough-as-they-come" quarterbacks in the league. but he never really got to showcase that talent for reasons that i choose not to get into at this time. but above all else, ever since superbowl 24, i wanted to see him and the team go all the way next time in a future season. but sadly he never did and never will. but on the positive side, the team still can. especially now.

But that's my little story of how i became a titans fan and have never looked back since. also my extended family lives in kentucky that i visit regularly. in a town that's about 30-45 min away from the LP Field. so not only do i route for the titans, but ive been to a numerous amount of games in person. i like both the fanbase and the atmosphere up there which turned me into even more of a fan. u can also call them a "2nd home" team.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My state has the Redskins, but ? them. I like the Bucs cuz of how they play. Likin a team from another city isn't a big deal. As long as you aren't a bandwagon fan, or changing teams every year....fine with me
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Tho the Raiders moved from LA I'm still a die fan hard even the Chargers r closer I refuse to root for them EVER.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Well for one I am a miami native born and raised(for 4 generations, unlike many transient families down here). so fans of all of the hometeams are deep in my family and its all ive known growing up. i like other teams in those sports also, but "da bottom" stays number one. so therefore coinciding with what the t/s stated all city teams are among my favorite(hurricanes, heat, marlins, panthers). all but one obviously, lol.

as ive stated earlier fans of all the city teams are in my family and the dolphins are no exception. so it also wasnt uncommon growing up watching them too. but the thing is with the dolphins i didnt develop a connection with them like i did the other teams. i still like them though. i guess u could consider them a number two team of some sort. as i will route for them every season and hope they succeed. but it wasnt until the 99-00 season did i start to develop a liking for another team. When that same entirely new team wearing white and navy blue in the first year of its franchise lined up against the buffalo bills i wrote them off. but what they did was simultaneously leave me in shock and wowed me at the same time the very last play of the game. that play was better known as the "music city miracle".

Ever since then I was like "what the hell? this team come outta nowhere." needless to say, i was then following everything the tennessee titans were doing. esp. up until superbowl 24. and i dont care what anybody says but they deserved to win that game, based on determination alone. unfortunately, a heart crushing 1 yard destroyed that dream of what possibly could have been. it also turned me into one of the biggest mcnair fans. as i thought he was one the better, arguably the best,"tough-as-they-come" quarterbacks in the league. but he never really got to showcase that talent for reasons that i choose not to get into at this time. but above all else, ever since superbowl 24, i wanted to see him and the team go all the way next time in a future season. but sadly he never did and never will. but on the positive side, the team still can. especially now.

But that's my little story of how i became a titans fan and have never looked back since. also my extended family lives in kentucky that i visit regularly. in a town that's about 30-45 min away from the LP Field. so not only do i route for the titans, but ive been to a numerous amount of games in person. i like both the fanbase and the atmosphere up there which turned me into even more of a fan. u can also call them a "2nd home" team.
    For a second there, I thought you were eluding to the Magic lol.