A Million Dollars ain't what I thought it was...

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Before I start......I dont have 10 grand.....so I really can't talk. But I also in college so....watever

But, growing up, I used to think being a Millionaire was some exclusive feat. It is...but, I thought it was a shitload of money that only a few people could attain. Now I think about it....if you REALLY handled your career right, you should have that much by retirement. ? blows my mind now. If two Corporate Lawyers, C-Level execs, Doctors, Dentists, High-level Engineers, Consultants, Investment Bankers, Psychiatrists got married, assuming they lived relatively frugal, put their money in high interest accounts & diversified portfolios, they could hit a million in 7-10 years.

That old ass ? 6 cubicles over could have $600,000 & you'd never know

Comments

• American.Loo
    American.Loo Members Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    show us the math, son.
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    show us the math, son.

U.S. Average Salaries for Corporate Lawyers by Year Trajectory

First 160,000
    Second 170,000
    Third 185,000
    Fourth 210,000
    Fifth 230,000
    Sixth 250,000
    Seventh 270,000
    Eighth 280,000

Assuming two lawyers got married, after six years, they'd be sitting on 2.4 Million combined. Uncle Sam needs his. If they stayed up to date, they would have 1.35 Million combined by the six year mark. If the couple lived off of 50k to 60k a year for 6 years (300k), instead of balling out of control, they'd be sitting on a Million without even accounting for the annual return on interest or any gain in dividends.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    what you have in life is not good enough, citizen

consume more

consume more

obey

obey
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    my dude came here with the works and all i aint never thought of it like that tho good looks
  • Koko888
    Koko888 Members Posts: 298
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Pretty much. Living prudently is the key part, it's easy to go broke still on a million dollars (or pounds).
  • kingofharts
    kingofharts Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I agree with what you're saying...issue is even with those type power couples they'll often want to, or feel pressured by their peer groups, to live a high expenditure lifestyle.

You know how Americans like to consume lol.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

consume more

consume more

obey

obey
    that might as well be at the end of every commercial
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Koko888 wrote: »
    Pretty much. Living prudently is the key part, it's easy to go broke still on a million dollars (or pounds).
    agreed. the problem with getting money is that when most come into a large amount, they still live outside of there means. just because you have a million doesnt mean you have to/ can live the millionare lifestyle
  • GTariq
    GTariq Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Based off what you said, a million dollars can be a big feat. I think living off 50-60k or less ain't bad at all.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't mind $1 million right now.....
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    GTariq wrote: »
    Based off what you said, a million dollars can be a big feat. I think living off 50-60k or less ain't bad at all.

50-60 k can be a little tight for two people tho, for a single person is def doable.

but my homie a retail dude at at&T and after he get his sales
    bonus's and after tax's he got like 30k net

and his girl make about the same. they dont have really nice cars
    they live in a small house,they really cant vacation more then once
    they gotta eat at chain restaraunts when they do goo out like twice a month.

if they ever had a kid it would be ruff,they pretty much just surviving better
    than most ppl. but they live in Chicago th
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

consume more

consume more

obey

obey

this is where they get us everytime ....
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited February 2011
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind $1 million right now.....

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    money can be spent sooooo fast its ridiculous..
    a million aint ? .. but to those who dont have it its everything..

but if ur ever so lucky to get to that status ull see that it aint..
    kind of like when u were a kid.. a dollar was BALLIN!! then 5... then 20.. then 100.. then 1000.. and so on

and lol@ finally savin up to a mil and bein 65.. 70+ where's the fun in that!?
    jus my opinion but id rather spend a million in a lifetime and die at 65.. 70+ then save it by that age and be dead before my next birthday. hahaha
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lol real ? tho being 65 with a million is cool but i rather ball out now
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ice_cold wrote: »
    that might as well be IN of every commercial

It is, its just subliminal.
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    retirement is like second child hood tho

no job and ?

u guys are talking like it's easy to make a mill in todays world.

It aint easy..but, its alot more attainable than I thought it was. One of my good friends graduating this year, got a 100k Job offer from Citigroup. Only 22. Assuming he stay on his ? ....and eventually go back for his MBA....he got a good shot.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited February 2011
    Options
    u spend a dollar you aint a millionaire anymore.

ive always said this ? ? u throw away a penny u a one
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    money can be spent sooooo fast its ridiculous..
    a million aint ? .. but to those who dont have it its everything..

but if ur ever so lucky to get to that status ull see that it aint..
    kind of like when u were a kid.. a dollar was BALLIN!! then 5... then 20.. then 100.. then 1000.. and so on

and lol@ finally savin up to a mil and bein 65.. 70+ where's the fun in that!?
    jus my opinion but id rather spend a million in a lifetime and die at 65.. 70+ then save it by that age and be dead before my next birthday. hahaha

Yea....thats true. Especially the dollar part. When I was younger, two dollars got me two bags of chips, a Quarter Juice, Starburst, a Honeybun & 2 Oatmeal Cookies. Thought I was BALLIN!!!!! Don't let me have gotten 10 dollars. Now I can burn through $1000 in a weekend.

? being 65 with $4 Million. Its better to be in your 20s/30s & balling out. But, thats the issue with success at the end of it. You work your whole life to build a foundation & in the end, you still gonna die & cant take ? with you. I be mad as ? , if I got uber rich because I knew one day I'd be dead. A ? wanna be 25 forever with $300 Million in the bank. They already found data that could prolong the human life cycle to 150 years & by the time that ? get approved, it won't matter for us ? typing.
  • dominique19
    dominique19 Members Posts: 295
    edited February 2011
    Options
    We live in a society thats always telling us to buy more, spend more get more thats why most people even rich people are in debt because people feed into that bs
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    We live in a society where people don't know the difference between a need and a want so that million dollars would be gone pretty soon since majority of people are influenced by the media. Most of y'all just products alll you know is consumption through the mass media and consumer culture. Think about like this individuals define themselves by the clothes they wear,the cars they drive, the brand of alcohol they drink and the food products they consume. That million dollar would be gone since everyone today wants an "identity" or to live a certain lifestyle. Take a look at how many times people in this thread have used the words "balling out".
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

consume more

consume more

obey

obey
    lol I know right

But a million dollars is a lot but not really. Cuz soon as you spend a dollar. You're not a millionaire anymore.
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    lol I know right

But a million dollars is a lot but not really. Cuz soon as you spend a dollar. You're not a millionaire anymore.

Live off the interest. Depending on the rate, it'd be anywhere from 40k-80k annually.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yep living on the interest is my retirement plan

in about 5 more years I should be close to that mark
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Put that million in my 401k and act as though i never had it.I won't be working forever, i wanna enjoy life now and when i get older.