Is Nas Next Lp going to be Like Em & Lupe?

Options
BoscoDeSoto
BoscoDeSoto Members Posts: 146
edited March 2011 in The Reason
I loved relapse but recovery was some pop bs and unfortunately Lasers is the same ?

now that we hear nas is working with alex da kid & bangladesh, as well as nelly furtado, will he face the sAME fate?

I can't imagine nas making a pop lp, but that seems to be his next move.

thoughts?

Comments

• FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Iono, and i hope not...

Nas best work happens when he avoids the extra ? .
    He needs to realize how Illa he is, and continue to make the music he likes to make .. when he does that, we all win.

I hope he dont go Pop, but i'd like to hear him feature more with newer artist tho.. I really want another Nas & Jay track too..
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I bet he won't. Nas' track record is alot better and longer than Lupe and Em combined. And even if it does have a few more singy hooks and synthesizers, I'm sure it'll be Nas' decision. I mean whose gonna look at Illmatic, Stillmatic, HHID, Untitled, and Distant Relatives.... and then try to tell Nas what a Nas album should sound like?
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I bet he won't. Nas' track record is alot better and longer than Lupe and Em combined. And even if it does have a few more singy hooks and synthesizers, I'm sure it'll be Nas' decision. I mean whose gonna look at Illmatic, Stillmatic, HHID, Untitled, and Distant Relatives.... and then try to tell Nas what a Nas album should sound like?

DEF JAM lol, they definitely will. They don't believe in that landmark/legacy filled artist bs anymore, they want everyone to sell out so they can get make a quick flip profit. If anything they'll use your legacy as a way to hype up the pop lp and make it seem like it's amazing (see Eminem & Jay-Z).

Nas really should have a nicca like rae, executive produce his lp..he'd make nas get on some ?
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Naw, honestly Nas don't give a ? about none of that ? . Sure, he has slight missteps here and there but he never drops straight out corniness. He's too busy being influenced by great artists like Sade, El Debarge, Miles Davis, the Marley family, etc..

He makes enough tour money to be set for life so he doesn't have to go platinum. He is all about creative freedom and even though Def Jam is a corny ass label they give him a good amount of creative freedom. Even his commercial attempts like "We Make The World Go Round" don't come close to that wack ? Lupe and Em dropped.

I honestly think his next album will be one of his best to date. I think he'll have more personal commentary on this one comparable to The Lost Tapes and some songs from ? 's Son and Street's Disciple...

He even said in an interview that he's at that Marvin Gaye Here, My Dear stage of his career minus the drugs. And that was one of Marvin's most underrated albums...

I also think the production will be better than usual... Kanye, Q-Tip, Premo, RZA, and others have been adamant on working on the project. Nas is on like his 10th solo album as opposed to Lupe's 5 years and 3 albums. Nas is pushing 20 years in the game. He's a true artist. I don't see it happening.
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think Nasir needs to test the waters and drop a mixtape before he drops his album.
    Better yet = The Lost Tapes II!
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited February 2011
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Naw, honestly Nas don't give a ? about none of that ? . Sure, he has slight missteps here and there but he never drops straight out corniness. He's too busy being influenced by great artists like Sade, El Debarge, Miles Davis, the Marley family, etc..

He makes enough tour money to be set for life so he doesn't have to go platinum. He is all about creative freedom and even though Def Jam is a corny ass label they give him a good amount of creative freedom. Even his commercial attempts like "We Make The World Go Round" don't come close to that wack ? Lupe and Em dropped.

I honestly think his next album will be one of his best to date. I think he'll have more personal commentary on this one comparable to The Lost Tapes and some songs from ? 's Son and Street's Disciple...

He even said in an interview that he's at that Marvin Gaye Here, My Dear stage of his career minus the drugs. And that was one of Marvin's most underrated albums...

I also think the production will be better than usual... Kanye, Q-Tip, Premo, RZA, and others have been adamant on working on the project. Nas is on like his 10th solo album as opposed to Lupe's 5 years and 3 albums. Nas is pushing 20 years in the game. He's a true artist. I don't see it happening.

But he's already lost the battle with lost tapes 2..def jam can't force him to have that type of lp?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Nas is the one mainstream artist thats above that ?
  • buttuh_b
    edited February 2011
    Options
    But he's already lost the battle with lost tapes 2..def jam can't force him to have that type of lp?

That's promotional and budget issues. Not artistic. Atlantic ? ' picked Lupe's beats for him. Def Jam just doesn't promote their dopest rappers like Ghostface and them. Nas was just mad about Lost Tapes 2 cause they were only giving it a $250,000 promo budget and weren't gonna count it towards his album deal. All politics.

But LA Reid stood behind Nas on his last 2 controversial LP's Hip Hop is Dead and Untitled, which were both #1 on the charts.

Nas won't compromise.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Doubt it and Recovery and Relapse ? on Lasers.

I think Nas learned his lesson from Nastradamus so I cant see him following trends again.
  • soul rattler
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Recovery and Relapse ? on Lasers.

This couldn't be further from the truth. There isn't a song on either cd better than All Black Everything and Words I Never Said.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited February 2011
    Options
    This couldn't be further from the truth. There isn't a song on either cd better than All Black Everything and Words I Never Said.

really i don't mean to sidetrack this track but uhhh my brother..YOU'RE WRONG

Now back to NAS!
  • Stew
    edited February 2011
    Options

You think Eminem is a racist, your opinion means nothing to me.
  • soul rattler
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    You think Eminem is a racist, your opinion means nothing to me.

I've never called Eminem a racist in my life. Stop making ? up.
  • buttuh_b
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't think Recovery is bad but I wasn't feeling Relapse like that but you can tell Em ain't the same. And I think TS is referring to Nas doing like some "Not Afraid" or "Love the Way You Lie"-esque poppy vibe. Which I don't see happening.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited February 2011
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    I don't think Recovery is bad but I wasn't feeling Relapse like that but you can tell Em ain't the same. And I think TS is referring to Nas doing like some "Not Afraid" or "Love the Way You Lie"-esque poppy vibe. Which I don't see happening.

Not afraid i'm fine with, minus the video. Not afraid is some uplifiting ? ...but if Nas does "Love the way you lie" "Show Must Go On" "Space Bound" or whatever pop bs Em & Lupe doin...i'll die
  • buttuh_b
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Not afraid i'm fine with, minus the video. Not afraid is some uplifiting ? ...but if Nas does "Love the way you lie" "Show Must Go On" "Space Bound" or whatever pop bs Em & Lupe doin...i'll die

There are a couple good songs on Recovery though. But I think Nas left anything remotely close to that type of ? in '99. He's been with Damian Marley every day for the past 3 years... I doubt Jr. Gong is like "Yo Nas get on some techno ? !!"
  • soul rattler
    edited February 2011
    Options
    @Bosco, the songs are DESCENT, but all things considered, Lupe makes better albums than Em and will continue to do so.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited February 2011
    Options
    @Bosco, the songs are DESCENT, but all things considered, Lupe makes better albums than Em and will continue to do so.

doggie have you heard L.A.S.E.R.S.? i mean c'mon
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "F' ya'll little hoe b!tches, I don't need ya'll I'll go Gold wit it" - NaS

Nope, NaS knows his core-fanbase is about 500k, he will continue to make the music he wants the rest of his career and I'm happy for him. NaS could of taken the Jay Z route and try to appease the commercial audience but he won't. Sure he will have a commercial song or two but I don't expect an all out commercial album from NaS ever again. NaS actually is in a good place in his career. He's sold millions, has Classics, has had a lot of success. Now he can make the music he truly wants to. After "Distant Relatives" an album with no club or commercial records, I knew NaS didn't care about selling anymore.
  • Stew
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I've never called Eminem a racist in my life. Stop making ? up.
    Em still on that racist ? . SMH

Huh ? what?
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I loved relapse but recovery was some pop bs and unfortunately Lasers is the same ?

now that we hear nas is working with alex da kid & bangladesh, as well as nelly furtado, will he face the sAME fate?

I can't imagine nas making a pop lp, but that seems to be his next move.

thoughts?

Alex Da Kid is somewhat of a Pop producer, but Bangladesh isn't. With that being said, Nas making a Pop LP isn't far fetched. Most wouldn't admit it, but It Was Written is an example of Pop album. It sampled The Eurythmics and Sting. Nas had some sing-songy choruses on it. It was helmed by the biggest crossover producers in the game at the time, The Trackmasters. Nas kept it street, but it was still a Pop album in the vein of No Way Out with a little more street appeal and much more lyricism. Nas has worked with StarGate in the past and they are some of the biggest Pop producers in the game. A lot of people would agree that "America" is one of Nas's best song and StarGate produced that joint.

Personally, I don't really care if Nas did crossover songs as long as they sound dope and not something that is intentionally aimed at a Pop audience. As long as he isn't about to make an LP full of songs produced by Alex Da Kid featuring Skylar Grey and he keeps it balanced with the street anthems, storytelling, and introspection, it's all good.
  • Stew
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Alex Da Kid is somewhat of a Pop producer, but Bangladesh isn't. With that being said, Nas making a Pop LP isn't far fetched. Most wouldn't admit it, but It Was Written is an example of Pop album. It sampled The Eurythmics and Sting. Nas had some sing-songy choruses on it. It was helmed by the biggest crossover producers in the game at the time, The Trackmasters. Nas kept it street, but it was still a Pop album in the vein of No Way Out with a little more street appeal and much more lyricism. Nas has worked with StarGate in the past and they are some of the biggest Pop producers in the game. A lot of people would agree that "America" is one of Nas's best song and StarGate produced that joint.

Personally, I don't really care if Nas did crossover songs as long as they sound dope and not something that is intentionally aimed at a Pop audience. As long as he isn't about to make an LP full of songs produced by Alex Da Kid featuring Skylar Grey and he keeps it balanced with the street anthems, storytelling, and introspection, it's all good.

Word to "Hero" and "If I Ruled The World"
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "F' ya'll little hoe b!tches, I don't need ya'll I'll go Gold wit it" - NaS

Nope, NaS knows his core-fanbase is about 500k, he will continue to make the music he wants the rest of his career and I'm happy for him. NaS could of taken the Jay Z route and try to appease the commercial audience but he won't. Sure he will have a commercial song or two but I don't expect an all out commercial album from NaS ever again. NaS actually is in a good place in his career. He's sold millions, has Classics, has had a lot of success. Now he can make the music he truly wants to. After "Distant Relatives" an album with no club or commercial records, I knew NaS didn't care about selling anymore.

This right here......................co-signature.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    why would t/s ask such a silly question knowing Nas' track record?
  • buttuh_b
    edited February 2011
    Options

Doggy, if you think It Was Written is an example of a Pop album then Lasers has to be straight up Britney Spears ? b.

None of those records yall named had any of the real pop sounds that we've seen from Lupe and Eminem recently.

"Hero", "America", "If I Ruled The World" were hip hop songs.