Is Nas Next Lp going to be Like Em & Lupe?

Options

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Huh ? what?

Don't call me ? you racist. And where in that post did I say "Eminem is racist"?
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Doggy, if you think It Was Written is an example of a Pop album then Lasers has to be straight up Britney Spears ? b.

None of those records yall named had any of the real pop sounds that we've seen from Lupe and Eminem recently.

"Hero", "America", "If I Ruled The World" were hip hop songs.

In 1996, It Was Written was looked at like Recovery and Lasers is looked at. That album represented that whole Trackmasters era of production where Pop loops were made into Hip Hop hits. As a matter of fact, Nas was hailed as a sellout because fans of Illmatic felt he went Pop.

"Hero" and "If I Ruled The World" are Hip Hop records with Pop appeal. They didn't necessarily dominate the airwaves and are true to Nas, but that doesn't take away the radio friendliness of those songs. What makes "Love The Way You Lie", "Show Goes On" and "Not Afraid" Pop records, if not for those songs being radio friendly.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    "F' ya'll little hoe b!tches, I don't need ya'll I'll go Gold wit it" - NaS

Nope, NaS knows his core-fanbase is about 500k, he will continue to make the music he wants the rest of his career and I'm happy for him. NaS could of taken the Jay Z route and try to appease the commercial audience but he won't. Sure he will have a commercial song or two but I don't expect an all out commercial album from NaS ever again. NaS actually is in a good place in his career. He's sold millions, has Classics, has had a lot of success. Now he can make the music he truly wants to. After "Distant Relatives" an album with no club or commercial records, I knew NaS didn't care about selling anymore.

Stop it with all that ? man. Nas would make radio records if he actually had the ability too. But he can't so he sits back acting like he's got all this integrity while rappers like Jay-Z take the harder route of being mainstream and lyrical at the same time.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Don't call me ? you racist. And where in that post did I say "Eminem is racist"?

"Still on that racist ? " says to me that you think he's still doing racist things/still racist. If thats not how u meant it, hey apologies.
  • choppa_style
    edited February 2011
    Options
    So Nas doesn't make pop-sounding records??
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

You consider these pop songs...With the exception of the kelis songs, I dont think so

This maybe.....
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    And to answer the T/S question...no. Nas is a leader, not a follower. Unless Def Jam pulls a rap-a-lot and forces an album without approval like they did with scarface
  • BoscoDeSoto
    BoscoDeSoto Members Posts: 146
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think in general, nicca is just fiending for actual solo music by Nas
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maybe I'm ? crazy and insane but I don't consider those radio friendly records in the same vein as the garbage techno ? Lupe was rapping on on wack ass Lasers... maybe I'm just ? crazy. But I don't hear "pop" when I listen to Let There Be Light. I don't hear one damn record on IWW outside of possibly the Lauryn Hill joint that's remotely pop. Maybe Streets Dreams and Nas Is Coming?? Name me a record. So It Was Written in 96 is equivalent to Lasers in 2011????????????????? THE GAME IS IN A VERY ? UP PLACE if thats the case. This ? is real disturbing b.

I swear to ? yall reach to the heavens. Go with the premise of the thread.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Maybe I'm ? crazy and insane but I don't consider those radio friendly records in the same vein as the garbage techno ? Lupe was rapping on on wack ass Lasers... maybe I'm just ? crazy. But I don't hear "pop" when I listen to Let There Be Light. I don't hear one damn record on IWW outside of possibly the Lauryn Hill joint that's remotely pop. Maybe Streets Dreams and Nas Is Coming?? Name me a record. So It Was Written in 96 is equivalent to Lasers in 2011????????????????? THE GAME IS IN A VERY ? UP PLACE if thats the case. This ? is real disturbing b.

The only POP records on It Was Written: [I"]If I Ruled The World"[/I]...to me that was the only track because the Lauryn Hill chorus made it "safe" for radio, BET and MTV. Everything else was polished, but still wasn't POP, even "Street Dreams" wasn't too POP imo..
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The only POP records on It Was Written: [I"]If I Ruled The World"[/I]...to me that was the only track because the Lauryn Hill chorus made it "safe" for radio, BET and MTV. Everything else was polished, but still wasn't POP, even "Street Dreams" wasn't too POP imo..

Yeah, I think they're reaching. Nas having one or two radio friendly records on most of his albums definitely wouldn't equate to what Lupe just did on his Lasers album and Nas hasn't shown any signs that it would be like that in the future.
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I think they're reaching. Nas having one or two radio friendly records on most of his albums definitely wouldn't equate to what Lupe just did on his Lasers album and Nas hasn't shown any signs that it would be like that in the future.

Tell that to the people who initially bashed It Was Written. Of course IWW doesn't sound like a Pop album now in comparison to today's music, because Pop music back when Nas dropped IWW didn't even sound like Pop music now.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i doubt it..but if i had to pick i would hope it sounds more like recovery than lasers lol..
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    i doubt it..but if i had to pick i would hope it sounds more like recovery than lasers lol..

This is true. Nas sounds dope over Just Blaze and Khalil beats, but outside of the Kane beat and the "All Black Everything" beat, I can't hear Nas over much if anything off Lasers. As much flack as Recovery gets, at least "Cold Wind Blows", "On Fire", and "Seduction" aren't pop songs.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Tell that to the people who initially bashed It Was Written. Of course IWW doesn't sound like a Pop album now in comparison to today's music, because Pop music back when Nas dropped IWW didn't even sound like Pop music now.

That's in comparison to Illmatic though. They just wanted him to follow up the GOAT rap album, which is impossible to do. Yeah, it was sonically less pure street than Illmatic but I guarantee 15 years from now Lasers is still gonna sound like a pop record bruh. It Was Written has a gritty vibe. You would make a better argument using The Firm album or Nastradamus and maybe a few attempts on QB's Finest but I guess since production wasn't as advanced back then it wasn't as horrid.

Either way, a 37 year old Nas is content where he's at musically and commercially and probably won't have the same label pressures as Lupe. Eminem is probably just doing him right now and Iovine probably push for a couple of the singles like "Love The Way You Lie".
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That's in comparison to Illmatic though. They just wanted him to follow up the GOAT rap album, which is impossible to do. Yeah, it was sonically less pure street than Illmatic but I guarantee 15 years from now Lasers is still gonna sound like a pop record bruh. It Was Written has a gritty vibe. You would make a better argument using The Firm album or Nastradamus and maybe a few attempts on QB's Finest but I guess since production wasn't as advanced back then it wasn't as horrid.

Either way, a 37 year old Nas is content where he's at musically and commercially and probably won't have the same label pressures as Lupe. Eminem is probably just doing him right now and Iovine probably push for a couple of the singles like "Love The Way You Lie".

Nas faced similar label pressures as Lupe is facing now. Columbia wanted a more mainstream record and Nas delivered. If you read some of the reviews for the album, some of them note the album's Pop sound. It had little to do with how great Illmatic was, Columbia wanted an album that was a commercial success. The Firm album follows in It Was Written's footsteps as the same team excluding Havoc and Premo handled the production. The Firm was just a mess of an album because there was no direction. Nastradamus has commercial attempts, but again, that album was a misfire. It Was Written doesn't get flack because it is a quality album because it balanced the commercial songs with street songs. The fact that the commercial records were of quality also made a difference.

With Lupe's album, the fact that it has a Pop sound isn't the issue. The quality just isn't there.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nas faced similar label pressures as Lupe is facing now. Columbia wanted a more mainstream record and Nas delivered. If you read some of the reviews for the album, some of them note the album's Pop sound. It had little to do with how great Illmatic was, Columbia wanted an album that was a commercial success. The Firm album follows in It Was Written's footsteps as the same team excluding Havoc and Premo handled the production. The Firm was just a mess of an album because there was no direction. Nastradamus has commercial attempts, but again, that album was a misfire. It Was Written doesn't get flack because it is a quality album because it balanced the commercial songs with street songs. The fact that the commercial records were of quality also made a difference.

With Lupe's album, the fact that it has a Pop sound isn't the issue. The quality just isn't there.

Great point. It's clear though, at this point, that "pop sound" usually always means no quality.
  • Shalashaska
    Shalashaska Members Posts: 50
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If Nas is really working with those people, I guess you could come to the conclusion that his next album will 'sound' like Recovery. But yeah, Nas' best work comes from him being by himself, having no guest features and having that east coast sound. Who knows though, it could be a classic. Nas is just growing as an artist and wants to try new/different things.
  • choppa_style
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bigrizz wrote: »
    You consider these pop songs...With the exception of the kelis songs, I dont think so

This maybe.....

Forget radio friendly and all that. Whats the difference between the songs I posted and the stuff on Recovery? Whats the difference between Let There Be Light and Space Bound?
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If Nas is really working with those people, I guess you could come to the conclusion that his next album will 'sound' like Recovery. But yeah, Nas' best work comes from him being by himself, having no guest features and having that east coast sound. Who knows though, it could be a classic. Nas is just growing as an artist and wants to try new/different things.

yea but son in this age of hip hop..the soundscape means a lot...the production is so over-produced it drives what the emcee is talking about
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Let There Be Light has the soul singer Tre Williams from Tre Williams and the Revelations on the hook. Give me a ? ' break b. That ? is soulful doggy. Do you understand the difference??? That ? is not comparable to that corniness called "Space Bound".

Sounds like someone is mad that a rapper like Nas maintained their artistic integrity deep in the game unlike Camel ass rappers who drop songs like "Ghetto Techno".

But either way, if we're talking pop or quality or whatever, Nas next joint will be quality. It's obvious Em and Lupe going for the B.O.B. and Drake sound thats hot on the radio right now. I doubt we'll see Nas doing that. Appearing on a Nelly Furtado or a pop singer's song is something that he's always done. It's a feature. Not his album.
  • BoscoDeSoto
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Let There Be Light has the soul singer Tre Williams from Tre Williams and the Revelations on the hook. Give me a ? ' break b. That ? is soulful doggy. Do you understand the difference??? That ? is not comparable to that corniness called "Space Bound".

Sounds like someone is mad that a rapper like Nas maintained their artistic integrity deep in the game unlike Camel ass rappers who drop songs like "Ghetto Techno".

But either way, if we're talking pop or quality or whatever, Nas next joint will be quality. It's obvious Em and Lupe going for the B.O.B. and Drake sound thats hot on the radio right now. I doubt we'll see Nas doing that. Appearing on a Nelly Furtado or a pop singer's song is something that he's always done. It's a feature. Not his album.

b u talkin to me? Wtf i'm a huge nas fan
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    he working with kane beatz as well
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hell yeah Nas is broke and in the struggle for real. Kelis came thru like the street sweepers and buried him. He need fast dough and he's done pop ? in the past so don't front. From You Owe Me to oochie wally and pop remixes.
  • georgia boi
    edited March 2011
    Options

I agree with this. I wouldn't consider a song like "Let There Be Light" a Pop song. It could've worked as a nice single even though it's not really a crossover record.