Anybody know how good Rosetta Stone is?

Options
rhythmandpoetry
rhythmandpoetry Members Posts: 22
edited March 2011 in The Social Lounge
Been wanting to learn Spanish for the longest! I'm reading some good reviews on this product but I was shocked when I saw the price!!

So does anyone know whether its in fact value for money or should I look for something cheaper?

Comments

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Been wondering the same so I can either learn Spanish or Japanese.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Been wondering the same so I can either learn Spanish or Japanese.

The whole Japanese set is like $500. I wonder if it's good too though
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Gotdamn. How u say ? THAT in Japanese then? Guess I gotta buy the ? LOL

U cant buy that ? in sets? Cuz chances are amma learn that ? for 5 minutes and give up.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options

U cant buy that ? in sets? Cuz chances are amma learn that ? for 5 minutes and give up.

Yea, level 1 is $200

level 2 is $250

level 3 is $250
  • rhythmandpoetry
    edited March 2011
    Options

Yeah unfortunately it works out cheaper if you get the whole set
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    yea it's straight, you can feel safe to believe the hype.

i used it for Spanish before moving to Ecuador for a year. only went through the first module and was able to live and do what i needed in a place with ZERO English speaking.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I've used it to brush up on the languages I already know. It's ok.

There's always piracy.
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^that's what I'm saying.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    always heard good things about it, but whenever i had free access to it, i never made the time to use it. so it goes
  • rhythmandpoetry
    edited March 2011
    Options
    reaperbong wrote: »
    yea it's straight, you can feel safe to believe the hype.

i used it for Spanish before moving to Ecuador for a year. only went through the first module and was able to live and do what i needed in a place with ZERO English speaking.

LOL @ the bold but good looking out!

you said you only went through the one module does that mean you dont really need the other modules?
  • rhythmandpoetry
    edited March 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    I've used it to brush up on the languages I already know. It's ok.

There's always piracy.

Didn’t consider this thanks!

even on ebay the price is still stupid smh! what other languages do you already know?
  • Merrykazi
    Merrykazi Members Posts: 12
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I have used a few audio courses, like Pimsleur. They were pretty good. I am currently learning from ezigerman at the moment. It is really for beginners though and not advanced. Other than that you need to get out there and practice with some real Germans :-)
    source(s):
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    LOL take it from an immigrant: the best way to learn the languege is to go to a place/land where people speak it and the first couple of months you will look/sound like a idiot, but after those months of shame you will be good(mix it with writing/grammar studies off course).

Want ik spreek en schrijf nu namelijk uitstekend Nederlands.
  • rhythmandpoetry
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    LOL take it from an immigrant: the best way to learn the languege is to go to a place/land where people speak it and the first couple of months you will look/sound like a idiot, but after those months of shame you will be good(mix it with writing/grammar studies off course).

Want ik spreek en schrijf nu namelijk uitstekend Nederlands.

I guess it helps im going to DR for the summer where are you from originally?
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I guess it helps im going to DR for the summer where are you from originally?

Morocco(Marruecos in spanish if im correct), one of the phew countries in africa where the government is still going strong lol(damnit)

Spanish is a beautifull languege man, I wish you good luckk, go to a lot of public places (from supermarkets to cafes) and know no shame in your pronouncation and most importantly: enjoy the learning proces etc.

vamos lol!

you a Barca or Real fan?
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ive always wanted to buy the Japanese one but they are way to high. looks like pirate bay is not helping me out either...
  • rhythmandpoetry
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Morocco(Marruecos in spanish if im correct), one of the phew countries in africa where the government is still going strong lol(damnit)

Spanish is a beautifull languege man, I wish you good luckk, go to a lot of public places (from supermarkets to cafes) and know no shame in your pronouncation and most importantly: enjoy the learning proces etc.

vamos lol!

you a Barca or Real fan?

Yeah a friend of mine is from Morocco like you he’s always bragging about it lol

But yeah I will try to enjoy all the mispronunciation amongst other things!

Not a big soccer fan but I would have to say Barcelona Messi is that dude!
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I did the spanish one through Level 3 out of five (I want to get the last two sometime but it's like $250 or something). It was pretty good, it's like taking a course in school: you get the grammar and some vocab and learn the structure of the language, but you don't really become fluent because there is no real spontaneous interaction with people. But if you do the rosetta stone and then go spend a few months in a spanish speaking country you'll pick it up fast when you get there.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    man...i got all them ? ...downloaded them torrents

but i does work.....thing is you gotta stay with it... it starts off real slow on some grade school type ? ...but it works...
    if you do it an hour a day in two weeks you will see progress
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    man...i got all them ? ...downloaded them torrents

but i does work.....thing is you gotta stay with it... it starts off real slow on some grade school type ? ...but it works...
    if you do it an hour a day in two weeks you will see progress

hook a brother up with them links mane
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    She real good. She used to come over when I was on spring break and I use to knock.........oh........... my bad.........wrong Rosetta.

Carry on
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's pretty good actually.

I've used it for Japanese in preparation for my trip last year, Hindi 2 years ago before my extended work stay there, Arabic several years ago when I was still in military, and French, Spanish, and German to make up for my failure at learning those languages well in school.

It takes a while to get conversational, some programs are better shortcuts for that, but you grasp a deeper understanding of the language. It's quite similar to having a native speaker befriend you and learning through osmosis.

If you need to learn a language in order to converse with counterparts in other countries for work, especially for technical discussions, Rosetta Stone won't be enough by far. I can recommend some great resources for Japanese and German that fill in the gaps.

Rosetta Stoned by Tool is my favorite song, if we are making puns
  • janklow
    edited March 2011
    Options
    you are 100% correct ... but for the average dude it's probably much more reasonable to do something like Rosetta Stone
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    you are 100% correct ... but for the average dude it's probably much more reasonable to do something like Rosetta Stone

John Madden: Here's a guy that when he puts his glasses on he sees better.
  • janklow
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    John Madden: Here's a guy that when he puts his glasses on he sees better.
    greatest head coach of all time