"Puppets are no Good"

Options
zoepian
zoepian Members Posts: 991
edited March 2011 in The Social Lounge
Uganda's President on the Gadhafi he knows
Editor’s Note: Yoweri Museveni has served as the President of Uganda for the past 25 years, during which time he has interacted repeatedly with Col. Moammar Gadhafi. For a profile of Museveni, click here. The unedited article below solely expresses the views of President Museveni.

By Yoweri Museveni, President of Uganda

By the time Col. Muammar al-Gadhafi came to power in 1969, I was a third-year university student at Dar-es-Salaam in Tanzania. We welcomed his rise because he was a leader in the tradition of Col. Gamal Abdul Nasser of Egypt who had a nationalist and pan-Arabist position.

Soon, however, problems cropped up with Gadhafi as far as Uganda and black Africa were concerned:

Backing Idi Amin: Idi Amin came to power in 1971 with the support of Britain and Israel because they thought he was uneducated enough to be used by them. Amin, however, turned against his sponsors when they refused to sell him guns to fight Tanzania. Unfortunately, Gadhafi, without first getting enough information about Uganda, jumped in to support Idi Amin. He did this because Amin was a "Muslim" and Uganda was a "Muslim country," where Muslims were being "oppressed" by Christians. Amin killed a lot of people extrajudicially, and Gadhafi was identified with these mistakes.

In 1972 and 1979, Gadhafi sent Libyan troops to defend Amin when we [the Uganda National Liberation Front] attacked him. I remember a Libyan Tupolev Tu-22 bomber trying to bomb us in Mbarara in 1979. The bomb ended up in Nyarubanga, Burundi, because the pilots were scared. They could not come close to bombing their intended target properly. We had already shot-down many of Amin's MIGs using surface-to-air missiles. Our Tanzanian brothers and sisters were doing much of this fighting. Many Libyan militias were captured and repatriated to Libya by Tanzania. This was a big mistake by Gadhafi and a direct aggression against the people of Uganda and East Africa.

this is an article by Ugandan President. Today is the first time i heard of him, i read what he had to say and he seems like a real ? down fort he cause of his people..

i know with EVERYTHING... there is 50% for and 50% against. so i expect arguments n disses and wat not... but he kept it real. and his sense of reality in the world is on point. dictator or not...

he touches on western influence and intervention, which i agree wit him on. they create puppets and dont want independent minded leaders running a country because it is not good fr them...

my reason for this is because rite now im in Haiti and we are at that same point. whther to have a puppet as president or independent minded leader or govt... we have one day until the preliminary results and a 2 week space to appeal it. its up in the air now..

im open for debates, wanna know opnions on this ? .. at the same time make ? know wats really goin on down here so wen ? hits the fan, we be like damn.. we shoulda known

Comments