Manga, anyone here like to read it?

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Quite Comical
I've been into comics for quite a few years reading such graphic novels as the Ultimate Spiderman, Batman: Year One and Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Gotham City, the Civil War series and 52 from DC Comics as well as some others such as Transmetropolitan.

But recently, I've been drawing a lot of Manga... and now I've just bought the complete collection of Death Note, which was recommended to me via a friend. That said, I know there must be some Manga heads on here, so what do you recommend for the 20+ something male to read in the world of Manga?

Here's the boxset I just purchased:

17578040%5B1%5D.jpg

1757804a0%5B1%5D.jpg

Comments

• Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nah i watch anime but i cant bring myself to read the manga
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ever now and then I glance at a few, nothing to big though. There's a yearly convention thats dedicated to the stuff here in LA that i check out for updates
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    D-Jack wrote: »
    ? , it took me a week and half to finished One Piece manga from chp 1 to 620. That's pretty much the manga I've read.

dam really? i've been trying to get into 1piece but its boring as hell
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nah i watch anime but i cant bring myself to read the manga

What puts you off the Manga? There seems to be quite a large amount of teen/adult Manga. I just got back from France and it's really big over there, no matter the age.
    Ksmart wrote: »
    Ever now and then I glance at a few, nothing to big though. There's a yearly convention thats dedicated to the stuff here in LA that i check out for updates

That's cool, you ever heard of Death Note?
    D-Jack wrote: »
    ? , it took me a week and half to finished One Piece manga from chp 1 to 620. That's pretty much the manga I've read.

Lol. After reading so much though, didn't you want to read more?

I've just finished the third volume of Death Note (there's 12 in total), I have to say it's one of the best comics I've ever picked up. It's got me more interested that the Dark Knight Returns which might be blasphemous, but true in my opinion. The stories are told with great humor, the artwork is exemplary and the characters are really intelligent. There's loads of changes in the script, some that are forceable, some that are not. But most of all the writing is superb, you can support either of the main characters and change your opinion as the story progresses. Definitely a massive recommendation to anyone who's interested and at the price of all 12 volumes via Amazon, it's a no brainer to me. Get it.

The next Manga I want to read is Akira.
  • Lambent
    Lambent Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    dam really? i've been trying to get into 1piece but its boring as hell

It picks up in the latter end of the skypeia arc. There is a lot of talking and ? , so some of the stuff you gotta just skim through when reading chapters.

But yeah, when it first starts it's pretty boring, it's one of the GOAT's though. (GOAT as in up there with DBZ, and will soon surpass it)

Toriko may be a future GOAT also, but too soon to tell. It's only 137 chapters in, so shouldn't be too hard to catch up. The action in Toriki picks up real quick, so it doesn't start off boring.
  • IceManKam
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Convention is in 2 days so I'll post some feedback about it
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Death Note is a solid manga. The following is a list of equally trill if not more trill manga.

1. Berzerk- one of the GOAT seinein stories that's still going.
    2. Vinland Saga - if you like Berzerk, you'll love Vinland Saga. Tighter plotline too.
    3. Shamo - Imagine if Vegeta had his own spinoff story, which was more set in reality, and you'd get shamo.
    4. Gantz- I dunno if even the author's of this manga can describe what's going on. People trapped in this massive f*cked up game and they don't know why. Just read.

If you like shounen, then try Hajime no ippo, which imo > naruto.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Convention is in 2 days so I'll post some feedback about it

Props :tu
    Death Note is a solid manga. The following is a list of equally trill if not more trill manga.

1. Berzerk- one of the GOAT seinein stories that's still going.
    2. Vinland Saga - if you like Berzerk, you'll love Vinland Saga. Tighter plotline too.
    3. Shamo - Imagine if Vegeta had his own spinoff story, which was more set in reality, and you'd get shamo.
    4. Gantz- I dunno if even the author's of this manga can describe what's going on. People trapped in this massive f*cked up game and they don't know why. Just read.

If you like shounen, then try Hajime no ippo, which imo > naruto.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, what's the difference between Shounen and Hajime though?

And which one of those can I buy the collection of relatively cheaply? I've noticed the amount some of them go for even on Amazon, and I don't like missing a volume out...
  • IceManKam
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well convention this year was....not all as great as last year. A couple of VAs (Troy Baker in particular) and some alright panels. Last year had WAYYYY more panels though. Theres a room dedicated to video games and tournaments and sorts. Wasn't as great considering their was only one lousy tournament (SSBB) that nobody wanted to play. Only 2 saving graces were the dance at the end (Rave) and the kakeroke room
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I read random ass mangas like crazy.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well convention this year was....not all as great as last year. A couple of VAs (Troy Baker in particular) and some alright panels. Last year had WAYYYY more panels though. Theres a room dedicated to video games and tournaments and sorts. Wasn't as great considering their was only one lousy tournament (SSBB) that nobody wanted to play. Only 2 saving graces were the dance at the end (Rave) and the kakeroke room

That's a shame, they mention any good Manga?
    Q45T wrote: »
    I read random ass mangas like crazy.

You ever read Death Note?
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    That's a shame, they mention any good Manga?

You ever read Death Note?

I watched the anime but I only read the last chapter of the manga... it never really interested me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Q45T wrote: »
    I watched the anime but I only read the last chapter of the manga... it never really interested me.

What would you recommend? I think it's an amazing Manga... the anime good?
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    all i know is Bleach and they have some kickass abilities.
    Tite Kubo is talented like a mother.
    Nwanime.com for all the mangas and animes.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Not a big anime/manga fan even though some are my favorites but I have been reading Inuyasha online. I just find the story interesting. But that's basically the only manga I've read. I might read some others of my favorite anime though.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I love manga/anime...i even planned to visit Japan until the whole tsunami/radiation/earthquake incident happened