Obama releases long-form birth certificate

Options
shootemwon
shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53802.html
In an extraordinary move, President Barack Obama on Wednesday sought to put an end to questions about his citizenship, releasing a longer version of his birth certificate and calling on the media and conspiracy theorists to move on.

“We do not have time for this kind of silliness,” Obama told reporters in the White House briefing room. “We’ve got better stuff to do. I’ve got better stuff to do.”

The White House took the unusual step after years of pressure from critics who were never convinced that a standard short form released by the campaign in 2008 proved that he was an American citizen. Businessman Donald Trump escalated the issue in recent weeks, thrusting the story back into the headlines – and, as Obama scolded the media Wednesday, diverting attention from more important issues.

Obama said the nation’s work would not get done if people are “making stuff up,” and getting distracted by “sideshows and carnival barkers.”

Given Obama’s long-time refusal to fuel the “birther” story, the White House’s move took Washington by surprise, prompting the major TV networks to break into their regular daytime programming and the cable stations to set up split screens with Trump in New Hampshire and the White House briefing room before Obama spoke. It completely overshadowed a major news story — the president’s decision to nominate Leon Panetta as defense secretary and Gen. David Petraeus as the CIA director.

For a White House that prides itself on rising above political “sideshows,” the decision to jump into the issue was a major shift in strategy.

“Normally, I wouldn’t comment on something like this,” Obama said. “I’ve got other things to do.”

But Obama said he decided on the release because the conspiracy theory over where he was born had eclipsed the debate on the budget several weeks ago. It also coincided with a decline in his approval ratings, dragged down by rising gas prices and concerns over the economy.

“The dominant news story wasn’t about these huge monumental choices that we’re going to have to make as a nation,” Obama said of the budget negotiations with Republicans. “It was about my birth certificate. And that was true on most of the news outlets represented here. So I just want to make a larger point here. We’ve got some enormous challenges out there.”

The White House set the process into motion last week — a decision that aides said the president made himself. Saying the “fake issue” had become a distraction, White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer said the president hoped to defeat the controversy by addressing it directly.

On Thursday, White House counsel Bob Bauer asked Obama’s personal lawyer, Judith Corley of Perkins Coie, to contact the Hawaii health department. After returning Friday from a two-day trip through California and Nevada, Obama signed a letter to the department requesting a waiver of department policy to release his long-form certificate. Since the mid-1980s, the state has provided only short-form certificates, Bauer said.

Loretta Fuddy, the state health director, responded to Obama in a letter Monday, saying she would grant an exception given “your status as President of the United States.”

um....lol

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Obviously a forgery, word to the illuminati
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Annoyin im kinda mad obama did this..

someone yells from the background..

He's still a MUSLIM!

no matter what theres is gonna be something .. and something else..we know what it is. this thinly veiled ? wont ever stop.
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Yep. We sure do.

And I can't believe I"m saying this, but...

what's happening to Obama, is one of those unique rare quint moments where I actually enjoy seeing a Black person get crucified by White-racists;

Deserving!

?????? Explain.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    im mad he did this too....fukk all of them birthers....so will they disband now?

just cant believe a black man made it this far
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    No matter what the Obama administration releases as proof that he is a citizen, it won't matter to the people who don't believe he's an American. They will find a way to argue it. The vast majority of politicians, whether they are democrat, republicans or somewhere in between are all corrupt. They all have their own agenda and you can bet the interests of the American people aren't part of it
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I am ? that he released it. ? the Birthers why give them and that ? any credence?
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i think he released it because trump is getting all this ? press over it and the game has run it's course. i think he'd rather trump start getting some press over all the other imbecilic ? he's been saying that actually directly applies to u.s. policy.
  • Lambent
    Lambent Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Annoyin im kinda mad obama did this..

someone yells from the background..

He's still a MUSLIM!

no matter what theres is gonna be something .. and something else..we know what it is. this thinly veiled ? wont ever stop.
    pralims wrote: »
    im mad he did this too....fukk all of them birthers....so will they disband now?

just cant believe a black man made it this far
    a.mann wrote: »
    No matter what the Obama administration releases as proof that he is a citizen, it won't matter to the people who don't believe he's an American. They will find a way to argue it. The vast majority of politicians, whether they are democrat, republicans or somewhere in between are all corrupt. They all have their own agenda and you can bet the interests of the American people aren't part of it

First comment in the comments section of that article, lol.

"It's a fake. Yes, I said it. Otherwise it would have been released long ago!

Long Form"
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    i think he released it because trump is getting all this ? press over it and the game has run it's course. i think he'd rather trump start getting some press over all the other imbecilic ? he's been saying that actually directly applies to u.s. policy.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

Alot of ppl are mad at Obama for releasing the documents but by doing that he basically took all of Trump's power.

Trump's an Idiot you can tell by all his ideas on policy issues, but the thing thats been giving him any traction was the birther ? .
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    u see kids, if u say something stupid but have enough idiots to follow u, even the potus will bow to your whims......america tha great
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited April 2011
    Options
    uolag wrote: »
    Obama = master chess player

Republicans = checkers

2012..........Obama winning........get over it.......

^^^^^^^ you can see the republicans are ? up bad... they didnt bother to look even 3 moves ahead.. all over the country republican congressmen are getting backlash for supporting the Ryan budget proposal & this, as someone stated before me, will take away most if not all of Trump's power.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Lol at obama being a master chess player. Ok so losing that midterm election and folding to the republicans on every issue is part of his master plan? FOH
  • tdoto88
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Lol at obama being a master chess player. Ok so losing that midterm election and folding to the republicans on every issue is part of his master plan? FOH

gotta lose some battles if it means winning the war.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    People can spin it all they want. Obama just ETHER Trump and all the lame racist trying to say he wasn't born in this country. No other President in the history of America birthplace has been questioned. But here comes the 1st Black President and now "Oh he's not born here". I call it like I see it. A bunch of mostly racist white people mad the President is Black. It's clear this was a racial element to this whole issue. It's sad that Obama needed to even show this but I'm glad he did. Again He just bodied that whole movement. He let that ish build up and killed that ish. Trump ain't win ? . His ass will not be the nominee. The Republicans will start to distance themselves from Trump after this.

The Birther movement was wack and weak from day 1. I'm sorry Obama doesn't have a name like Washington or Jefferson. I'm sorry his skin isn't as light as it is despite having a white mother. I'm sorry his middle name is the name of the guy we just killed and took over his country. But he's our President and yes he's Black, got a Black Wife and Black Kids. It's time for White America to give it up, the racism is so obvious it's pathetic. White People, HE'S BLACK, Move the f*ck on. SMH @ a U.S. President having to show his Birth Certificate cause mostly White people can't accept he's Black and a President. SAD!.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i wouldve done it the day trump won the republican nomination.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    he had to do it, with election time coming up its one less thing that can be used against him. Now he can work on building a time machine where he actually needs to go back to 8/4/61
    to prove that he's really human.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    People can spin it all they want. Obama just ETHER Trump and all the lame racist trying to say he wasn't born in this country. No other President in the history of America birthplace has been questioned. But here comes the 1st Black President and now "Oh he's not born here". I call it like I see it. A bunch of mostly racist white people mad the President is Black. It's clear this was a racial element to this whole issue. It's sad that Obama needed to even show this but I'm glad he did. Again He just bodied that whole movement. He let that ish build up and killed that ish. Trump ain't win ? . His ass will not be the nominee. The Republicans will start to distance themselves from Trump after this.

The Birther movement was wack and weak from day 1. I'm sorry Obama doesn't have a name like Washington or Jefferson. I'm sorry his skin isn't as light as it is despite having a white mother. I'm sorry his middle name is the name of the guy we just killed and took over his country. But he's our President and yes he's Black, got a Black Wife and Black Kids. It's time for White America to give it up, the racism is so obvious it's pathetic. White People, HE'S BLACK, Move the f*ck on. SMH @ a U.S. President having to show his Birth Certificate cause mostly White people can't accept he's Black and a President. SAD!.

i agree, never in history has a president actually prove where he was born. its disappointing that there are alot of Americans out here that are so ignorant and petty.
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    i agree, never in history has a president actually prove where he was born. its disappointing that there are alot of Americans out here that are so ignorant and petty.

I don't like the 'Birthers' movement, either.

However, President Obama's relatives in Kenya didn't help matters any when they claimed he was born in KENYA.

And don't act like some people weren't freaking out when Austrian-born Arnold became governor of California (remember when they were claiming his father was a ? and he was a ? sympathizer?)

Politics brings out the worst in people.
  • xtraill
    xtraill Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    sniperk wrote: »

However, President Obama's relatives in Kenya didn't help matters any when they claimed he was born in KENYA.

And don't act like some people weren't freaking out when Austrian-born Arnold became governor of California (remember when they were claiming his father was a ? and he was a ? sympathizer?)

Politics, along with Race and Religion.... the big 3 of most of the problems that plague this world.
  • tdoto88
    edited April 2011
    Options
    its ideology rather than politics that brings out the worse in people...
  • xtraill
    xtraill Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    tdoto88 wrote: »
    its ideology rather than politics that brings out the worse in people...

But wouldn't you call politics an ideology?
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2011
    Options
    sniperk wrote: »

I recall there being one relative, an aunt, where a clip of an interview was shown with her speaking in her native language, the full interview is yet to be shown. I can understand the concern, but this is on a level of an extremism i havent witnessed with any other political figure, not even Arnold. From the beginning, this guy was labeled a muslim terrorist with an evil plot to destroy America. Showing proof of live birth wasnt enough, this carried on for two years, when America clearly has way bigger issues to manage. This, along with party members outright refusing to work with the president, which is not one man, its an entire presidency, has only helped to aid in impending, and obvious decline of the country. There is so much dust in the air over trivial matters, that people dont know what or who to believe in. and this is only the beginning. The country is way past bankrupt and yet one of the main issues on the docket is a birth certificate, its complete lunacy.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My ? . My ? ? ..
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    All the GOP will do is move the goal post. Next it will be college transcripts, so on and so forth.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    All the GOP will do is move the goal post. Next it will be college transcripts, so on and so forth.

Chairman of the GOP just asked for this on CNN 10 mins ago..