Do you think patriots drafting mallet offended brady?

Options
vageneral08
vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
While some believe the New England Patriots took quarterback Ryan Mallett -- drafted in the third round (74th overall) Friday -- to eventually be the heir apparent to Tom Brady, the reigning league MVP wants it to be known he doesn't plan on stepping down any time soon.

NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner says Brady, who recently signed a four-year extension that runs through 2014, when Brady will be 37, told Mallett fans not to hold their breath.

"I did text Tom Brady after this pick and he wanted me to know for sure that he was planning on playing 10 more years," Warner said Friday.

Mallett played 11 games as a freshman at Michigan -- Brady's alma mater -- before transferring to Arkansas when new coach Rich Rodriguez brought in an offense not suited to the pocket passer.

At 6-foot-6 and 238 pounds, Mallett is tough to bring down -- but also not very elusive. And with Brady still at the top of his game, the selection of Mallett has some people scratching their heads. Then again, when Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2008 opener, the Patriots relied on backup Matt Cassel the rest of the season. Cassel and the Patriots fell just short of the playoffs with an 11-5 record that season. Prior to 2009, the Patriots traded Cassel, along with linebacker Mike Vrabel, to the Kansas City for the Chiefs' second-round pick in 2009, the 34th overall. New England used that pick to select safety Pat Chung.

"I don't think you can have too much depth at that position. We've all seen what happens," Belichick said.

In one season at Michigan and two at Arkansas, Mallett threw for 69 touchdowns and 24 interceptions.

The Patriots had only Brian Hoyer as a backup quarterback last year, so the addition of Mallett could give Belichick an option if Brady, who underwent surgery Jan. 20 for a stress fracture in his right foot, is injured again.

"I feel good," Brady said at a promotional appearance Friday in New York. "I feel like anybody who has had surgery and had to go through rehabilitation. We still got a long time until football season starts, and I'm just working my way back."

Someday, wether it's 10 years down the line, or sooner, Brady's career will end. Can Mallett be his successor?

"I don't know," Belichick said. "(He'll) come in, and (we'll) let him compete."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

? said he planning on playing another 10 years lmao.........do ya'll think this pick effected brady?

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's a business, and Brady knows that. Especially for someone who unseated a former #1 overall pick that was still in his prime (Drew Bledsoe.)

Brady will play 5 more years -- tops. I don't see the Patriots remaining an elite team in the next 5 years, and even if they do, Brady won't continue to play after another super bowl ring or after multiple seasons of coming up short.

The smartest thing a franchise can do is pick up a younger, talented, QB just when their current starter is exiting his prime.

The Niners did it in the late 80s by picking up Steve Young (who could've started immediately on at least 20 other teams) and that pro-longed the Niner's dominance an extra 7-8 years.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nope............
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is the Patriots aka The Empire and Bellichek aka The Emperor picked Mallet for a reason...dude is being groomed to take Brady's spot...he isnt going to get it given to him...to be the boss you have to beat the boss. Brady took it from Bledsoe and Mallet is gonna have to Darth Vader it up if wants the job.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    This is the Patriots aka The Empire and Bellichek aka The Emperor picked Mallet for a reason...dude is being groomed to take Brady's spot...he isnt going to get it given to him...to be the boss you have to beat the boss. Brady took it from Bledsoe and Mallet is gonna have to Darth Vader it up if wants the job.

My sources just told me why they drafted Mallet......

Belichek asked him at the combine what his hobbies were. And he said "Photography"

Mallett-on-camera.jpg

logo-patriots.jpg
  • vageneral08
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My sources just told me why they drafted Mallet......

Belichek asked him at the combine what his hobbies were. And he said "Photography"

Mallett-on-camera.jpg

logo-patriots.jpg

Pow! right in the kisser
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    even tho boeck had him in trouble , ben hendo did waaay mored amage with those knees
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    when Brady gets injured again he will be a excellent replacement
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Do you think the Patriots drafting Brady offended Bledsoe?
  • #Kew
    #Kew Members Posts: 299
    edited May 2011
    Options
    NE front office has got to be mentioned in the GOAT cuz they stay making the right moves. Of course everybody has gotten older and they're not the top ? anymore but they are always dangerous...
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yo vageneral im running away with the madden crown on ya lol.....5-2
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    #Kew wrote: »
    NE front office has got to be mentioned in the GOAT cuz they stay making the right moves. Of course everybody has gotten older and they're not the top ? anymore but they are always dangerous...

no they don't. Pats front office is overhyped by the media cuz they win. They aren't makin the best moves they could be makin. People are startin to notice it more and more each year
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    no they don't. Pats front office is overhyped by the media cuz they win. They aren't makin the best moves they could be makin. People are startin to notice it more and more each year

but lets be real, they are better than most, and probably the best before Pioli left
  • bow to royalty
    edited May 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    but lets be real, they are better than most, and probably the best before Pioli left

I'd say they were better than most. But right now, they aren't showin much. Their WR's aren't good, and this was a decent WR draft...they didn't get one. They didn't have a good pass rush...and didn't get one. Mayo was a good draft pick, but I think he was top 10 and it's hard to ? up that early in the draft. Last year they were praised for gettin 2 really good TE's then this year they go out and get another one? They did need runnin help, but back-to-back in the 2nd and 3rd round?

I'd get stockin up picks for the future if you were set for now, but the Pats aren't. They haven't won a playoff game in a few years. So the picks should be gettin used..not traded away.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'd say they were better than most. But right now, they aren't showin much. Their WR's aren't good, and this was a decent WR draft...they didn't get one. They didn't have a good pass rush...and didn't get one. Mayo was a good draft pick, but I think he was top 10 and it's hard to ? up that early in the draft. Last year they were praised for gettin 2 really good TE's then this year they go out and get another one? They did need runnin help, but back-to-back in the 2nd and 3rd round?

I'd get stockin up picks for the future if you were set for now, but the Pats aren't. They haven't won a playoff game in a few years. So the picks should be gettin used..not traded away.

and the Adaleius Thomas signing has to be one of their worst.

and I think Vereen was just too good to pass up. and i do like their WR's (Welker, Tate, Branch, Edelman, and you could even throw in Herndandez) not to mention woodhead serving as a receiver at times.
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Didn't Brady get hurt and miss an entire season? They need a quality back-up.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

draft picks have been questionable yes

but when u got 14-2 with a no name young defense and not much for a wide reciever core....emm it's kind of hard to sit there and say they still arent doing something right

devin mccourty
    aaron hernandez
    ron Gronkowski

wants to agree with me
  • vageneral08
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yo vageneral im running away with the madden crown on ya lol.....5-2

pay back is a ? ....that is all................
  • Danigge_219
    Danigge_219 Members Posts: 250
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nope...because he won't see the light of day unless Brady gets severely hurt.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nope...because he won't see the light of day unless Brady gets severely hurt.

also..if he showcases any talent he could be used as trade bate or that ever so popular patriot move "stock paling draft picks" (? i hate that)
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    pay back is a ? ....that is all................

*diddy voice* take that take that....lol
  • bow to royalty
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »

but when u got 14-2 with a no name young defense and not much for a wide reciever core....emm it's kind of hard to sit there and say they still arent doing something right

devin mccourty
    aaron hernandez
    ron Gronkowski

wants to agree with me

That's exactly what I said though. Their bad draft is being covered up by them winning. When every year you've got the most picks in the draft (a good amount of them being early picks too), you shouldn't be havin that many holes. Why is there no runnin game, not much of a receiving core (and the best receiver is Welker from Miami), a mediocre pass rush? I'm just sayin Bill's "drafting genius" is overrated. And when you're drafting another QB to learn under, and eventually replace your current HOF one, and you're losin in the 1st round of the playoffs, and another team is looking like it's gonna take over as the dominant team in the division...make your team better. Stop stockin up draft picks.

I'm not sayin the Pats suck, cuz they're really good. I'm just sayin they aren't drafting as well as they're hyped up to
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That's exactly what I said though. Their bad draft is being covered up by them winning. When every year you've got the most picks in the draft (a good amount of them being early picks too), you shouldn't be havin that many holes. Why is there no runnin game, not much of a receiving core (and the best receiver is Welker from Miami), a mediocre pass rush? I'm just sayin Bill's "drafting genius" is overrated. And when you're drafting another QB to learn under, and eventually replace your current HOF one, and you're losin in the 1st round of the playoffs, and another team is looking like it's gonna take over as the dominant team in the division...make your team better. Stop stockin up draft picks.
    I'm not sayin the Pats suck, cuz they're really good. I'm just sayin they aren't drafting as well as they're hyped up to

I have to agree 100%. You would think they would be trying to fill some holes on both sides of the ball with all these picks they have, but they constantly trade back and aquire more picks every year. They been doing this for a while. And it seems like they dont want to spend money in the first round. They have had two first round picks for the last 3 or 4 years and they stay trading back for more picks...... But like you said, them winning is covering up for the way they draft.
  • vageneral08
    edited May 2011
    Options
    *diddy voice* take that take that....lol

and you come in MY thread talking ? ?!?!?!?!........oh next game it's on.....
  • vageneral08
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »

devin mccourty
    aaron hernandez
    ron Gronkowski

wants to agree with me

I think they did pretty good on last year's draft.....hernandez and brandon spikes were picks I didnt think they would get but ? those were two good picks
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You think bill give a damn if he offended tom?