Beyonce Reveals Title and Direction of New Album

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
1100089-beyonce-cover-617.jpg

In the next chapter of her career, Beyoncé certainly seems dedicated to breaking new ground. It takes guts for one of the world's biggest pop stars to release such a stridently unconventional single as the militaristic, beat-driven "Run the World (Girls)," built around a freaky sample from relatively obscure indie favorites Major Lazer's club hit, "Pon de Floor." That's just the first salvo in the unexpected collage of sonic textures and unique song structures on her new album, which features edgy new collaborators like Switch (who makes up half of Major Lazer) along with established hitmakers like The-Dream. "There's nothing safe about it, I know that much," says The-Dream, who cowrote Beyoncé's career-redefining anthem, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," and was called in to help pen the new album's lead single. "That [kind of song treatment] would never happen with any other artist of her stature, male or female."

It's a sentiment Beyoncé seems keenly aware of herself. "I feel like my job in the industry is to push the limits, and I have to constantly evolve," Beyoncé explains of her new direction, while she's being chauffeured from a photo shoot on Long Island to a Manhattan recording studio for a meeting with the new creative team she's assembled. This independent woman, rounding the corner to the big 3-0 this year, happily married to Jay-Z, has taken the reins of her career like never before, and she wants it known that she is the one calling the shots. Her forthcoming solo album, "4," was made this past year without the guidance of Matthew Knowles, her father and longtime manager. She announced on March 28 this year that the two parted ways "on a business level." Raising a clenched fist on the cover of her new single, "Run the World (Girls)," Beyoncé clearly transmits her trademark message of female empowerment.

Whenever you put out a new song, it seems to generate a catchphrase. Is that something you think about?

That's what I always want to do - I'm attracted to songs that will become a dinner conversation! [laughs] With "Single Ladies," clearly I'd just gotten married, and people want to get married every day - then there was the whole Justin Timberlake thing [recreating the video] on "Saturday Night Live," and it was also the year YouTube blew up. With "Irreplaceable," the aggressive lyrics, the acoustic guitar, and the 808 [drum machine] - those things don't typically go together, and it sounded fresh. "Crazy in Love" was another one of those classic
moments in pop culture that none of us expected. I asked Jay to get on the song the night before I had to turn my album in - thank ? he did. It still never gets old, no matter how many times I sing it.

The new single, "Run the World (Girls)," is a very bold statement for you.

It's definitely riskier than something a bit more...simple. I just heard the track and loved that it was so different: it felt a bit African, a bit electronic and futuristic. It reminded me of what I love, which is mixing different cultures and eras -- things that typically don't go together -- to create a new sound. I can never be safe; I always try and go against the grain. As soon as I accomplish one thing, I just set a higher goal. That's how I've gotten to where I am.

The new album is called "4." Aside from this being your fourth solo album, what significance does that number hold?

We all have special numbers in our lives, and 4 is that for me. It's the day I was born. My mother's birthday, husband's birthday, and a lot of my friends' birthdays, are on the fourth; April 4 is my wedding date.

How did the creative process begin with the new body of work?

I recorded more than 60 songs: everything I ever wanted to try, I just did it. I started off being inspired by [Afrobeat music pioneer] Fela Kuti. I actually worked with the band from "Fela!" [the hit Broadway musical based on his life] for a couple of days, just to get the feel for the soul and heart of his music; it's so sexy, and has a great groove you get lost in. I loved his drums, all the horns, how everything was on the one. What I learned most from Fela was artistic freedom: he just felt the spirit. I also found a lot of inspiration in '90s R&B, Earth, Wind & Fire, DeBarge, Lionel Richie, Teena Marie... I listened to a lot of Jackson 5 and New Edition, but also Adele, Florence + the Machine, and Prince. Add in my hip-hop influences, and you can hear how broad it is. I also gave myself more freedom to really belt out some songs, and bring soul singing back: I used a lot of the brassiness and grittiness in my voice that people hear in my live performances, but not necessarily on my records.

Full interview: http://www.billboard.com/features/beyonce-q-a-the-billboard-music-awards-millennium-1005176882.story

Comments

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I hope that there's more of a Fela influence on the album. It's something that would be different. I'd also love to hear Beyonce over more tribal sounding production.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fela? Hmmm

Hope she ain't bullshitting
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Beyonce,need to make some FUN MUSIC like....CLub Worthy

She can have a little of influce of fela,but keep it hip for the youth

i hope she have more than just one Swizz Beatz,production on her album

he always balances out albums
  • rip.dilla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    but keep it hip for the youth

Bruh, she's near 30 years old

She has to grow up with her music
  • focus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

lol...how old do you think 30 is?
  • rip.dilla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    lol...how old do you think 30 is?

+ 10 = 40

Can't shake ass forever
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    YEAH BUT NOT ALL GROWN FOLKS GONNA BUY HER ?

she gotta make music for the little ones and the teens like the song she did
  • focus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    + 10 = 40

Can't shake ass forever

Janet is 40. Madonna is 50. Tina Turner and Cher are like 70. They do the same ? they always did and are the biggest female touring artist ever.

I guess I just never understand this logic that artist are suddenly supposed to stop doing what made them successful to cater to a smaller audience that won't support them...because they hit 30...or 40, which is somehow...old? And the thing is nobody ever does it. lol. None of the huge artist anyway. LOL @ anyone ever telling MJ or ? Jagger to "sit down and make a Luther album". lol. So why is it expected?
  • rip.dilla
    edited May 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Janet is 40. Madonna is 50. Tina Turner and Cher are like 70. They do the same ? they always did and are the biggest female touring artist ever.

I guess I just never understand this logic that artist are suddenly supposed to stop doing what made them successful to cater to a smaller audience they won't support them...because they hit 30...or 40, which is somehow...old? And the thing is nobody ever does it. lol. None of the huge artist anyway. LOL @ anyone ever telling MJ or ? Jagger to "sit down and make a Luther album". lol. So why is it expected?

Whatever man

She can't be making the same generic ass records

Even Janet finds it hard to go plat this days
  • focus
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Beyonce held a preview listening party for her upcoming album, 4, at the NYC offices of Sony Music on Wednesday afternoon (May 11).

About a dozen of her super fans watched the “Run The World (Girls)” video in a conference room before the 29-year-old global superstar came in and surprised everyone, shaking hands and hugging every single person in the room. (One of her fansites BeyonceWorld even flew in from Australia!)

Beyonce ‘4′ Album Preview - JustJared.com Exclusive

SONG #1 ———- Part of the song, tentatively titled “Till The End of Time,” has already leaked on YouTube. “The bass line was inspired by [Nigerian musician and composer] Fela Kuti,” Beyonce shared with JustJared.com. “It’s my nephew Julez’s favorite song.” (JJ Tidbit: Jay-Z produced the Broadway musical Fela! About the late Nigerian singer.)

Here are some sample lyrics: “I wanna love you so (hit me)/ I will be the one to kiss you at night… Come on take my hand/ I won’t let you go/ I’ll be your friend/ I will love you so… Turn your rain into sun… Say you’ll never let me go.”

SONG #2 ———- This mid-tempo song has lots of drums much like “Run The World.” “Babyface wrote the song,” Beyonce told JustJared.com. The track is about karma and revenge and kicks off with, “What goes around comes back around.” Some key phrases from the song include, “Best thing I’ve ever had” and “Best thing you’ve never had.” The best line in the song goes, “You showed your ass, baby I saw the real you.” The song closes with, “Sucks to be you right now.”

SONG #3 ———- This ballad is moody and dark. It’s a song that will really sit with you, rather than be an instant smash hit. One fan asked Beyonce if she was crying at the beginning of the song because it sounded like she was. “Almost,” she responded. “I was on the verge.”

Jeff Bhasker penned this song, Beyonce confirmed. “It’s one of my favorite songs [off of the album],” she said.

Some sample lyrics: “I told you how you hurt me/ I’m crying and deserted but you don’t care/ Nobody told me this is love/ You’re immune to all my pain/ This is love but that’s okay… But I care/ I know you don’t care too much/ But I still care.”

SONG #4 ———- This track starts off the lyrics “killing me softly” and samples Boyz II Men’s “Uhh Ahh.” Beyonce uses the countdown and sings between each decremental number, “10, 9, 8…”

“Boyz II Men were the first ones to put Destiny’s Child on tour,” Beyonce told JustJared.com. “They showed us how to treat an opening act and I will never forget that. That was 15 years ago! Wow, 15 years! (laughs) I’m old.”

Some sample lyrics: “Dedicated to the one I love… diamonds in that chain… Riding that pony.. Showing him how you ride… If you leave me, you’re out of your mind. London, speed it up. Houston, rock it.”

What did Jay-Z think of this song? “He liked it,” Beyonce told JustJared.com. “I don’t think he was dissecting it, just thinking of what he could do to it as a rapper.”

SONG #5 ———- Beyonce had the lights turned down for this beautiful ballad. Here’s how the song starts: “If I ain’t got nothing, I got you/ If I ain’t got something, I don’t give a damn/Because I got…”

“I don’t know much about algebra but one plus one is two,” she croons. “He ain’t got nothing but love. Darling, you got enough for the both of us. Make love when my days look low, pull me in close.”

“RUN THE WORLD (GIRLS)” VIDEO ———- It’s everything we hoped it would be - amazing! (Watch the 60-second “Run The World” teaser.)

The video starts and ends with Beyonce riding her horse, except there’s fire involved in the closing scene. A lion walks into one of the dance numbers and Beyonce has two giant hyenas on leashes in another scene.

The room went crazy during two parts of the song. The first was when Beyonce sings “eff you” and gives the middle finger (albeit pixelated with a censor). The second was when Beyonce is on her knees, bent backwards, and writhing around in the sand. It’s reminiscent of the sand dance sequence in her “Baby Boy” video

The dance sequences were choreographed by her longtime friend Frank Gatson with help from Sheryl Murakami and Mozambican kwaito dance group Tofo Tofo. Beyonce had scoured the Internet and discovered Tofo Tofo on YouTube. The funny thing is they had no idea who Beyonce was when she reached out to them! (Tofo Tofo gets down with Beyonce in a few of the dance numbers.)
  • MonRoch
    MonRoch Members Posts: 73
    edited May 2011
    Options

riiiiiiiiight!
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    do you think she scrapped up her new album,cause of Kelly's New Single....Motivation??

cause that song is killing the airwaves bruh

it's being played everywhere

i feel she's threatened by kelly's shine

nobody really aint bumping that new single she came out with
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    do you think she scrapped up her new album,cause of Kelly's New Single....Motivation??

lol she always tries to steal they shine, but Kelly killing her right now
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol she always tries to steal they shine, but Kelly killing her right now
    Beysus will have her revenge!! She performed her new song on Oprah and she's premiering the video on American Idol tonight. She steppin her caucasians up.
  • georgia boi
    edited May 2011
    Options

Kelly's single is no doubt killing it right now, but I don't think Beyonce sees Kelly as competition. Kelly is more R&B while Beyonce is a bonafide pop star. If Beyonce has any competition right now from a female right now it's Lady Gaga and possibly Nicki Minaj. Of course Nicki raps, but given the fact that she's moving 1.3 million units without the aid of #1 singles, she is a threat. She's also released songs like "Right Thru Me" and her latest "Super Bass" which could be considered straight up Pop records.
  • MonRoch
    MonRoch Members Posts: 73
    edited May 2011
    Options
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    Beysus will have her revenge!! She performed her new song on Oprah and she's premiering the video on American Idol tonight. She steppin her caucasians up.

what revenge, Kelly has done nothing to her. hell none of these girls has done anything to Beyonce. LOL
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Beyonce hasn't put out an album in 3 years, Kelly Rowland had all the time to blow up, not that mainstream America give two ? about her anyways. Lets be real, her competition is Ciara and Keri Hilson, not Beyonce.
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I feel Kelly rowland continue to make songs like that,and balance her album with pop songs, she can finally come out of that shadow as a one hit wonder

that new song she came out with really put shine back on her

I wish the best for all of them

Beyonce do need to change up though

i dont care what no one says i feel she saw what kelly rowland was doing and scrapped up her album
  • beeleKeelomibmovie
    beeleKeelomibmovie Banned Users Posts: 138
    edited May 2011
    Options
    wxvaoyi6ift8otg A cub journalist playing in the big leagues, Lexie is a spitfire newswoman who suspects there are holes in Carter's war story. Silent Hill watch online " With the help of Mrs. Easy A movie times For the first time, they experience needs and desires that go beyond the physical. Dark Moon Rising 2010 The pursuit consumes both men's lives, and soon Valjean finds himself in the midst of the student revolutions in France. Romeo Must Die showtimes Can he survive to come of age? Kvinden der drГёmte om en mand showtimes Suspect three: Jeff's landscape partner Bobby, who wants Jeff out, has yelled at Mona that he'd like to rip out her ovaries, and who is soon to be Rash's son-in-law. Arthur and Revenge of Maltazard movie review Each day offers him chances to remember, to assuage his yearning, to begin again. disney Yumurta It's up to Billy, Mandy, Irwin, and Grim to get to Horror's Hand before the Boogey Man does. Bugsy Malone dvd release date Through it all, Joe keeps on truckin' . Wake of Death dvd Frankie (Ernie Kovacs) is a con man trying to steal the partner's gold claim. jpunovd7qlm0e8c gh90o17bvoxex5y hr3o0v5caezupff
  • beeleKeelomibmovie
    beeleKeelomibmovie Banned Users Posts: 138
    edited May 2011
    Options
    3n42esh6g8djtlb S. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie times A young woman takes a soul-searching journey across America to resolve her questions about love while encountering a series of offbeat characters along the way. Sandlot movie review Dwight and the other Betas fight off Geek House for social supremacy on campus. Dragonslayer dvd Iraq comes back to haunt them when Gulliver's jilted girlfriend, Shelley, decides to get her own back on him by giving photos of the events in Iraq to the British police. The Other Guys But all that is about to change. watch The Deer Hunter full movie to make Farmer Vincents fritters. Married Men and Single Women As a cover for his plan he needs to acquire a local Irish family's pub to promote a new brand of beer. imdb Indiana Jones and Last Crusade The search for a lost treasure shows who the truly civilized members of society are. The Job movie trailer Years after the assassination of President George W. Road to El Dorado reviews . qhnoc185h5e4azz 2yy8b2w3nirvv8o ftn20cn1xfjunz4
  • ApolloRoyalin
    ApolloRoyalin Members Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think Beyonce has always done a good job of setting herself apart. Right now there's a huge uptempo pop trend, and she came out with a tribal-sounding song. Curious to hear the rest of the album.
  • georgia boi
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Brian ojay wrote: »
    well looking a Beyonce's music guess she has to go mainstream no more too much hiphop she's gotta compete with Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Britney spears l feel this is killing originality but what can l say she got to pay bills and stay in the business she got no choice right what do you think guys by the checkout hiphop in other languages check out this site www.nationsofhiphop.com www.nationsofhiphop.com

From a business standpoint, it makes sense to go mainstream. It's either hire the same hitmaking producers that are behind today's biggest hits or throw a rapper on the single. Sometimes, it's both. Unless it's an established artist, a traditional R&B album is hard to sell without it sounding like a rap album or having big name rappers featured on it. R&B is in a far worse state than Hip Hop right now.
  • JadaRoss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Beyonce is slipping