1.2 Million Jobless Could Lose Benefits Sunday (SMH)

Options
The Prime Minister
The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in The Social Lounge
WASHINGTON, Feb. 26 (UPI) -- About 1.2 million of the jobless stand to lose unemployment benefits if the U.S. Senate fails to approve an extension by Sunday, officials say.

The House has already passed a 30-day extension, but Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., blocked Majority Leader Harry Reid's effort to bring the bill to a vote Thursday in the upper house, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. Reid, D-Nev., called for the 30-day extension as a short-term measure to give Congress more time to work out legislation that would extend unemployment benefits by as much as a year.

The extension also affects COBRA, the program allowing laid-off workers to buy into their previous health insurance.

The National Employment Law Project predicted 5 million people could be without work and without unemployment benefits by June if nothing is done. While economists say the recession has bottomed out, job losses remain high and new jobs are few, with the Labor Department reporting 496,000 people filed new claims for unemployment last week, up 22,000 from the previous week.

"Long-term unemployment is unlikely to loosen its grip on our economy anytime soon," said Christine Owens, executive director of the National Employment Law Project.

Comments

• DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Why am I not surprised its a republican. I dont understand why there is no pressure on these people to do the right thing for the right reasons.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Keep government out of my Medicare dammit!!
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    No Government-run Meat Inspections!
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Well my benefits runs out first week in April so if I dont get a job Im assed out smh
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    No Government-run Meat Inspections!

lmao

No government run FIRE DEPARTMENTS!! If your house is burning ahh well, dont take money outta MY pocket because YOU couldnt stop smoking cigarettes!
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    OHHHHHH ? ......things are about to get real bad if these Republican scumbags don't stop the nonsense....Republicans are the American Taliban as far as I'm concerned.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Is it me or is it time for Obama to legalize marijuana?? We need jobs out here....the drug dealers I know are doing very well selling weed, let's legalize marijuana and create thousands of new jobs. There's no other jobs out here, something has to give! I'm about to write the White House on this issue, what do you guys think?
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Is it me or is it time for Obama to legalize marijuana?? We need jobs out here....the drug dealers I know are doing very well selling weed, let's legalize marijuana and create thousands of new jobs. There's no other jobs out here, something has to give! I'm about to write the White House on this issue, what do you guys think?

Hell yeah!!
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options

Writing to the whitehouse to tell them your plan is a great idea for two reasons.

1. It has never occurred to any of them before that legalizing marijuana would create legal jobs and taxable revenue.
    2. As soon as they read your letter, Obama will declare that marijuana is now legal, making it so, cause that's how it works.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Well, today is Sunday.

It's about to be a lot of pain in these coming months.