stone crazy
stone crazy Members Posts: 13
edited September 2011 in R&B & Alternatives

Comments

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I would put Justin Timberlake on that list too.
    I like some of his music but, when they did that Top 100 or Top 200 Greatest Artists of All Time list on VH1 and they put him on the list ahead of 2pac and no Usher was on the list, I knew this was going too far. He used Michael Jackson, Usher and Prince styles in his music, he benefited from black producers so he was able to connect with the black audience.
    To me, he isn't original and for them to put him on a such important list and not have Usher, who he uses alot of, is crazy!
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    I would put Justin Timberlake on that list too.
    I like some of his music but, when they did that Top 100 or Top 200 Greatest Artists of All Time list on VH1 and they put him on the list ahead of 2pac and no Usher was on the list, I knew this was going too far. He used Michael Jackson, Usher and Prince styles in his music, he benefited from black producers so he was able to connect with the black audience.
    To me, he isn't original and for them to put him on a such important list and not have Usher, who he uses alot of, is crazy!

^^^^^ He definitly deserves to be on the list.. more so than EM imo. BUt it just I cant stand that ? Justin I will never watch any movie with that ? in it ? that guy.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    jimi hendrix>>kurt blow out my brains
  • stone crazy
    stone crazy Members Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I forgot all about Justin Timberlake.
  • clarke2025
    clarke2025 Members Posts: 5
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I can't agree with most of your picks, but a few of them I do definitely.....Supreme Clientele the most obvious and also Liquid Swords.
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited May 2011
    Options
    list is ? ....
    clapton is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, his work with CREAM, Derek and the dominos, and his solo work are ? great

for all the ? they released later in their career the stones have an amazing catalogue how can u even mention them???? why cant music have influences from other music??? i like muddy waters and all the original blues music but the stones took that and made it darker, harder and catchier... they transcend blues

i like how the author said w/o run dmc aerosmith wouldnt be ? , they already staked a claim as a classic band in the 70's... w/o aerosmith, it would have taken longer for hip hop to be accepted by the general public, and run dmc did not write their material in the 90's so the ? is he talking about?

while i agree the mystique over jim morrison is kinda garbage, the doors put out a couple fantastic albums and their debut album stands as on of the darkest and best recordings of the psychedelia period

no one claims george michael to be a ? ... he made 80's and 90's pop music, wtf is the author talking about???

nirvana is cool, i like a lot of their music but they get bunched in with other bands they dont belong with when being compared as the best to do it

eminem is one of the most technically skilled rappers... so i disagree there as well

im so sick of this ? from the black perspective about stealing music.... black artists sample white and black artists, make cover versions of songs and the whole 9.... fact is, the people i named STOLE NOTHING.... it was their influences.... they wrote and created their own music, ? this author and others who think like him
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ok list. lol at number one
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    bunz wrote: »
    list is ? ....
    clapton is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, his work with CREAM, Derek and the dominos, and his solo work are ? great

for all the ? they released later in their career the stones have an amazing catalogue how can u even mention them???? why cant music have influences from other music??? i like muddy waters and all the original blues music but the stones took that and made it darker, harder and catchier... they transcend blues

i like how the author said w/o run dmc aerosmith wouldnt be ? , they already staked a claim as a classic band in the 70's... w/o aerosmith, it would have taken longer for hip hop to be accepted by the general public, and run dmc did not write their material in the 90's so the ? is he talking about?

while i agree the mystique over jim morrison is kinda garbage, the doors put out a couple fantastic albums and their debut album stands as on of the darkest and best recordings of the psychedelia period

no one claims george michael to be a ? ... he made 80's and 90's pop music, wtf is the author talking about???

nirvana is cool, i like a lot of their music but they get bunched in with other bands they dont belong with when being compared as the best to do it

eminem is one of the most technically skilled rappers... so i disagree there as well

im so sick of this ? from the black perspective about stealing music.... black artists sample white and black artists, make cover versions of songs and the whole 9.... fact is, the people i named STOLE NOTHING.... it was their influences.... they wrote and created their own music, ? this author and others who think like him

lol - you're sounding like an angry, militant white man right about now. i agree with you about the stones. they did their own thing and did it well. eric clapton i don't think is overrated either.

but... the author made a point about george micheal winning best r&b artist over MJ and Bobby Brown which was ridiculous back then and still is now; aerosmith were 100% washed up and forgotten by the time walk this way with run-dmc came out - run-dmc did cpr on their career; eminem is one of the most technically skilled rappers but look at black artists that you would put in that category with him and compare their careers to em and then try to say honestly that em isn't overrated.

remember - this list doesn't say these people suck - it says they're overrated.
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited May 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    lol - you're sounding like an angry, militant white man right about now. i agree with you about the stones. they did their own thing and did it well. eric clapton i don't think is overrated either.

but... the author made a point about george micheal winning best r&b artist over MJ and Bobby Brown which was ridiculous back then and still is now; aerosmith were 100% washed up and forgotten by the time walk this way with run-dmc came out - run-dmc did cpr on their career; eminem is one of the most technically skilled rappers but look at black artists that you would put in that category with him and compare their careers to em and then try to say honestly that em isn't overrated.

remember - this list doesn't say these people suck - it says they're overrated.

yea i know how i came off lol... i just get sick of these articles.... i think em is both lucky and deserving of his props... he has the skills to be where he is at but he wouldnt be where he is at w/o the backing of dr. dre.... that i'll agree on...

i hear what you and the article are saying about george michael, but havent there been grammy snubs every year? i certainly never take the grammy's seriously because it is based on popularity and at the time, it is arguable that george michael was the biggest pop star in the world... mj has always been huge, but that album by george michael was one of the more popular ones and best selling of that era.... i disagree with him winning but he was a soulful guy and it certainly isnt the biggest grammy snub of all time... he isnt saying george michael is overrated he's saying his grammy win is... so i guess i can agree with that...

the only artists i agree with are gaga, spears (who are madonna rip offs) and especially elvis....

i agree that run dmc helped give aerosmith popularity in the 90's but its a fact that they did the same for popularity in hip hop... thats why it was a mutually beneficial, important collaboration in popular music.. aerosmith continued to be on the upswing after that and all of this coincided with the members getting clean off drugs and alcohol... aersmith is not overrated, they are one of the greatest american rock bands to exist, and they do not owe their success to run dmc....

no matter what anyone says, it is obvious that the author of the article has no ? clue what he is talking about.... he obviously hasnt listened to music by the artists that he named, nor has he researched their influence on modern music.... he obviously went off of word of mouth and common ? talk within the hip hop community... it is a wreckless piece of writing and what is wrong with blogs... they give people an opportunity to spread their opinions on things they know nothing about... im in school to be a journalist and this is am amateur piece of writing, anyway you look at it
  • YungTraveler
    YungTraveler Members Posts: 21
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I quite frankly have to agree with the "Why isn't Justin Timberlake on this list" folks. I definitely agree with Lady Gaga and Britney being on it, though... no further explanation for those two needed AT ALL.

I do have issues with some of the others, though. George Michael is an INCREDIBLY talented artist, composer, and performer. I've seen him live a couple times and never came away disappointed. Do I agree with the Grammys? No.
    Eric Clapton... simply awesome. I can't put into words how much Clapton did for music in the last 4 decades..
    Both the Stones and the Doors used influences.. but their music was their own, as well. And great music, at that.

Just my cent and a half's worth...

smile1.jpg
    smile2.jpg
    smile3.jpg
    smile4.jpg
  • titu90
    titu90 Members Posts: 29
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think the list is ? ! To say that artists like the ones on this list (okay, Britney Spears is definitely overrated) are overrated is just ridiculous!
  • WhiteShoesATL
    WhiteShoesATL Members Posts: 28
    edited August 2011
    Options
    eminem, vanilla ice, bruce springsteen, lady gaga, and most country music
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Co sign on the Justin Timberlake. Also, Vanilla Ice for sure.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The Hacker wrote: »
    jimi hendrix>>kurt blow out my brains

This is fact

No diss to Kurt tho
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i agree with Elvis Presley, Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, George Michael, Em(boy can spit but King of Rap?? nah!).

KISS (They were a novelty act! Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and The Doors are all better bands)

Cher(she is utter garbage but influential but so is half of your list) Madonna>>>Cher

New Kids On The Block (they ripped off New Edition completely, N'Sync and BackstreetBoys made better ? and they were garbage too)
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    when u really think about it, mostly all white musicians were influenced by Black Artist. its always been this way??

Cher - borrow from Diana Ross. Sonny and Cher borrowed from Marvin Gaye and Tammie Terrell when it came to duets.

Elvis - Jackie Wilson, Bo Diddly, Chuck Berry, James Brown

Mariah Carey - Whitney Houston

etc.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i can agree on all of them EXCEPT Eric Clapton. that guy is that good!! if you go back and listen to his stuff with CREAM alone he would be hall of fame induction just on that alone! he has never failed to credit the blues greats that inspired his sound like BB King and Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.

when Blues great, Howling Wolf Died it was Clapton who paid for his tombstone!

no one disses Clapton on my watch!
  • 25centsandwich
    25centsandwich Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    who puts clapton over bb king and muddy waters anyway?

clapton has always been about 4th or 5th among blues guitarist and that is about right for him....

gotta disagree with #1 too...elvis was not only an incredible singer, the guy had swag and was an incredible performer...

clearly one of the most important musicians/entertainers of all time...
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    when u really think about it, mostly all white musicians were influenced by Black Artist. its always been this way??

Cher - borrow from Diana Ross. Sonny and Cher borrowed from Marvin Gaye and Tammie Terrell when it came to duets.

Elvis - Jackie Wilson, Bo Diddly, Chuck Berry, James Brown

Mariah Carey - Whitney Houston

etc.

Since when is Mariah Carey "white"?
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Madonna should be on that list.

I ? with Kurt Cobain, so I can't cosign this 100%.

You shut your filthy mouth....
    For someone that's "allegedly" overrated as Madonna, look at the many offsprings she has mothered.
    And I agree, Timberlake need to be on this list.
  • boat1580
    boat1580 Members Posts: 200
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Bob Dylan

I just don't get it. i realize that i could be shot for this but is' JMO, as i'm entitled.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i can agree on all of them EXCEPT Eric Clapton. that guy is that good!! if you go back and listen to his stuff with CREAM alone he would be hall of fame induction just on that alone! he has never failed to credit the blues greats that inspired his sound like BB King and Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.

when Blues great, Howling Wolf Died it was Clapton who paid for his tombstone!

no one disses Clapton on my watch!

Agreed Clapton is a great artist.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    boat1580 wrote: »
    Bob Dylan

I just don't get it. i realize that i could be shot for this but is' JMO, as i'm entitled.

Dylan wasnt a good or even average singer but he sung Anyway. He is famous because at a time when his rock peers werent talking about anything he made songs of protest, and fighting the system and change.

If you remember the Denzel The movie the Hurricane. It was about a middle weight boxing champion. Bob Dylan wrote a song about it about how the Hurricane was imprisoned for a crime he didnt comitt. That was the type of stuff that Dylan did. It was his writing and his subject matter.

Jimi Hendrix LOVEDDDDD Dylan. one of Jimi's biggest hits is a Dylan song "All Along The Watch Tower".. and it was Dylan that convinced Jimi to sing and not JUST play guitar. Jimi was apprehensive because he didnt have a great voice, but Jimi's producer Chas From the Animals said DYLAN CANT SING BUT HE DOES ANYWAY.. so Then Jimi chose to sing and there you have it!

In saying that I give Dylan a thumbs up for his writing and his subject but he was a below average guitarist and a horrible singer!
  • rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    wait, they put clapton on the list?
    one of the few white men BB King don gave praise too?

and.. and... ya'll are still taking the thread seriously?

SMH@ this list, the Stones? Morrison?

I have to agree, this list is ? . I could come up with a ton that are more overrated than the ones on this list (with the exception of brittany spears and lady gaga of course)