Independent Instrumentals: The Best Of... Ten Tracks. Your Choices.

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
Scenario

If you were going to produce a CD with the 10 greatest instrumentals of Independent hip hop of the 00's, what would you include?

Rules:

YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 10!!!
TRY NOT TO HAVE A LIST FROM THE SAME PRODUCERS. 3 Tracks maximum from one producer.
If you don't have the instrumental, drop the track.
Use Youtube's if you can!!!
Include a reason to each one as to why you chose that beat.

If the thread's a success, I may compile some of the greatest choices!! :tu

Here's my first three:
Possibly my favourite ever beat... I remember hearing this when it dropped and instantly being taken by it. I played it ten times on repeat and then burnt it to CD before giving it to a friend and listening to it even more times at his house. It was funny because after I left he said he stayed up until 2am playing the track over and over. It's had a similar affect on my listening over the past years, listening to it through the album CD, iTunes, iPod etc. A great track from a great album, if there are any sleepers left, A Piece of Strange is not to be missed.
I'm not sure if this was the first track I heard and fell in love with from Nujabes, but it's certainly the one that I've played more so than any other Nujabes track (RIP). I think it's the only track I've ever known perfectly to a tee, for instance at 1 minute and 54 seconds, the Jazz horns kick in and the hook is played... just the once. It's all that was needed for the beat to hit that peak that it needed. Up until then, the trained ear can hear the different elements being added to making a fuller sound. Nujabes was and always will be remembered as a musical genius. This track showcases why even more so than the often touted 'Feather', IMO, of course.

In 2007, I believe, a man called Prince Ali dropped a ridiculously nice mixtape for free. It was an ode to what is widely regarded as Hip Hop's greatest year, 1994. With beats from Incise, the tape showcased the reasons why Incise would grow to be an ever popular figure in Hip Hop, dropped Nobody's Story a year later. I don't think a beat has ever hit so hard upon being introduced.

BORN WITH THE BOOM BAP BOOM BAP BOOM BAP!

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nobody a fan of instrumentals?
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Aww man...dammit Ruff Draft I'm gonna have to look in my library now, lol!!
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Batsauce- Summertime
    Obsidian Blue- Service Packs 1 and 2
    An example Obsidian Blue:
    Jynxx - Records, Tables & Needles Vol.2 Love Edition
    JDilla- DonutShop
    Example track:
    Myke Forte- Zodiac Cancer
    An example track:
    TaeOne- Love Missile series
    Couldn't find any...

Rob Viktum- Snack Pack series
    Example track:
    Polar Ent. & Mighty Healthy NYC Presents J Rawls - Hotel Beats Vol. 1
    Example track:
    Diamond District- In the Ruff
    Example track:
    Cali Fire Commission [Ayiro + J. Bizness]
    Can't find a track...

Batsauce- 1971
    Example track:
    See this is why I hate going through my library, I have FAR too many instrumental albums
    but I have to sort them out lol, smh!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Props Trae!! I like Diamond District, J. Rawls and Dilla, but what's that Jynxx like? Besides the video, I'm interested in the music too lol. Obsisidian Blue too???

My next track, track number 4:

You're a flower
    You're a river
    You're a rainbow

Unsure as to where the sample comes from, but Nujabes' Reflection Eternal lives on, listen after listen. It's a timeless piano loop mixed with softly spoken lyrics and a slow definitive beat. If I put love on a track, I think it would come out sounding something like this. Lows to highs, slight switches but forever beautiful. This track is timeless and to many, Nujabes defining moment. Timeless music, timeless producer, timeless soul, live on my dude. RIP.
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol, Ruff did you edit my post, I didn't remember putting videos up, lol!!

its no problem at all tho, search for those albums on google, most of them are not converted onto Youtube thats why you couldn't find them, thats why I'd supply the bandcamp links because they provide a preview on the page itself. Even on myspace you can preview them, trust me those are just 10 of them that I picked. I've done so many music digging in the past, I have tracks/albums that you probably would never hear again, like a one time release (still getting a single on vinyl is your best bet for rarities) BUt yea, anyone interested in these albums (most of them are free), google them.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    lol, Ruff did you edit my post, I didn't remember putting videos up, lol!!

its no problem at all tho, search for those albums on google, most of them are not converted onto Youtube thats why you couldn't find them, thats why I'd supply the bandcamp links because they provide a preview on the page itself. Even on myspace you can preview them, trust me those are just 10 of them that I picked. I've done so many music digging in the past, I have tracks/albums that you probably would never hear again, like a one time release (still getting a single on vinyl is your best bet for rarities) BUt yea, anyone interested in these albums (most of them are free), google them.

Check the bottom of your post it says why lol.

Props Trae, I'll check out the few I asked you about... know that you're heavy into it. I still like that 80 track mix you did for me a year or two back haha

Track number 5:

Nujabes - Another Reflection

Okay, so I started out hoping I wouldn't make a list of Nujabes/Japanese based hip hop tracks, but I'm failing. This has to be up there with the Beat Laments the World and Reflection Eternal for me, another timeless track and great follow up to Reflection Eternal. With bare vocals of 'mind overload' and a few other difficult to make out 'ohh's' and offerings, the piano displayed on this track with the more laid back beat in the background just catapults this track to one of my favourite Nujabes produced songs. Definitely fitting of a list such as this.

Track number 6:

CYNE - First Person

I've always struggled to understand what was better about this track, the lyricism of Cise Starr and Akin flowing between one another, or the production which samples Shawn Phillips' The Ballad of Casey Deiss (see below). Either way, it's a strong compliment to the emcee's of CYNE given that the production on this so perfectly done. A lot of people credit Kno (CunninLynguists) with this beat, but I'm unsure as this came out in 2003 and APOS came out in 2006. The beats are very similar, but I think Enoch and Speck deserve their props for this one. Genuine wonder and philosophy that continued on their 2005 release, Evolution Fight. This is CYNE at their very best.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

this is a Blame One song produced by Black Milk

im gonna have to think about why i chose these songs. but these songs stand out to me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nice drop Satyr, some good choices, liking the Exile pick, you think it's his best beat?
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Nice drop Satyr, some good choices, liking the Exile pick, you think it's his best beat?

you know it could be its mos def my fav song on the album. its a really deep beat and what blu spit over it fit perfectly
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    you know it could be its mos def my fav song on the album. its a really deep beat and what blu spit over it fit perfectly

Yeah, it's definitely a memorable track from what is now, a classic Independent hip hop release?

Possibly still debatable, but my favourite track was still 'Good Life' though, just because of his breakdown of an unborn child.
  • traestar
    edited June 2011
    Options
    oh yea, nice!! I remember that playlist!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    oh yea, nice!! I remember that playlist!

hahaha it was definitely a nice playlist!! Must have taken a while! Going to make an Essence Playlist of the Month now for this month and hopefully we'll get a few takers!!