Q-Tip's 'THE RENAISSANCE'

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Dilla's younger bro Illa J will be performing in London tonite (June 6) with, T3 as the last surviving members of the Slum Village collective

You heading there? That'll be a great show, I heard Illa J was coming over, his album was really good, which was surprising.

Just finished listening to The Renaissance again, great album, no doubt.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Is expensive, I hear ya. Should use some of the Andy Carroll money ha.

Back to the topic, I'm going to listen to this album again tomorrow :tu

hahaha...

And I might give it another listen later... I've had that Weeknd mixtape on replay all week though
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Amplified kinda made me not check for any of his solo ? . I like Vibrant thing but not really a lot and it was kinda odd to see him in that light. I will check on this album because I've actually heard others say this was a good project. Even okayplayer.com gave it a decent rating
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Amplified kinda made me not check for any of his solo ? . I like Vibrant thing but not really a lot and it was kinda odd to see him in that light. I will check on this album because I've actually heard others say this was a good project. Even okayplayer.com gave it a decent rating

Amplified was cool. He and Dilla worked on it which gave it its familiarity. It had those club bangers and its his most popular work till date.

This album, however is way more polished than Amplified and it made me go searching and copping everything with Tip's name on it
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hahaha...

And I might give it another listen later... I've had that Weeknd mixtape on replay all week though

Going to check that mixtape out :tu

See, I was already a big Q-Tip fan from his Tribe Called Quest days, so I picked up Amplified and was slightly disappointed with it at first as you state, but the more I listened to it, the more I appreciated it, it was a solid release and I'm unsure as to which artist it was in the underground (tempted to say Fashawn), but it was his favourite album of all time (which is strange to say the least, but obviously an acquired taste).
    Amplified was cool. He and Dilla worked on it which gave it its familiarity. It had those club bangers and its his most popular work till date.

This album, however is way more polished than Amplified and it made me go searching and copping everything with Tip's name on it

It's definitely a better release than Amplified after more listens, props on the thread as I wouldn't have listened to it for another long while.
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It's definitely a better release than Amplified after more listens, props on the thread as I wouldn't have listened to it for another long while.

. .
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options

I didn't think I'd like it... but it turned out to be good. Best R&B release I've heard in ages

Listened to Renaissance again earlier and I forgot how good the album was too, might listen to Untitled as well actually
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I didn't think I'd like it... but it turned out to be good. Best R&B release I've heard in ages

Listened to Renaissance again earlier and I forgot how good the album was too, might listen to Untitled as well actually

Yeah, I listened to most of it before and really liked it too, props on leaving that comment in a hip hop thread haha.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I listened to most of it before and really liked it too, props on leaving that comment in a hip hop thread haha.

haha it was just what I was into, need to go back to listening to more Hip Hop though
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    haha it was just what I was into, need to go back to listening to more Hip Hop though

Check out the new Artist of the Month and listen to some Jean Grae :tu
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited June 2011
    Options

See, I was already a big Q-Tip fan from his Tribe Called Quest days, so I picked up Amplified and was slightly disappointed with it at first as you state, but the more I listened to it, the more I appreciated it, it was a solid release and I'm unsure as to which artist it was in the underground (tempted to say Fashawn), but it was his favourite album of all time (which is strange to say the least, but obviously an acquired taste).

I'm a huge tribe fan so that is what made me check for Amplified, ? I even got Phife dogs solo joint after they broke up the group. That ? wasn't that great either. LOL. Those 3 guys need each other to make that quality sound.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm a huge tribe fan so that is what made me check for Amplified, ? I even got Phife dogs solo joint after they broke up the group. That ? wasn't that great either. LOL. Those 3 guys need each other to make that quality sound.

Agreed, a friend of mine met Phife in London, said he was a humble dude.

Tribe released such great albums, be interesting to see what this documentary is like...

As for The Renaissance, think you should check it out, as after more listens, it's a really great release :tu
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
    q-tip-flyer_frnt.jpg
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ok imma have to give this album a shot. since yall ? is talking about it heavy im gonna listen to it. to be homest hav never really liked any of tips solo ? but i always try and give them a shot so yea imma give it a listen.
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    ok imma have to give this album a shot. since yall ? is talking about it heavy im gonna listen to it. to be homest hav never really liked any of tips solo ? but i always try and give them a shot so yea imma give it a listen.

Give it a listen on a very good stereo system and post your thoughts later
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    q-tip-flyer_frnt.jpg

Going the Manchester one... you heading to the O2? Can't wait!
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Going the Manchester one... you heading to the O2? Can't wait!

Mos Def
  • rip.dilla
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • LWIL2
    LWIL2 Members Posts: 14
    edited June 2011
    Options

Guess Who(?) Makes An Appearance

Dam didn't even know that was a Prince sample I been sleepn'. What was better this or Mos Def's Mz. Phat ? ?1
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Great great album. One of my favorites of recent years. Great production that both invokes prime ATCQ while building and updating the sound. Tip delivers on the lyrics front and crafts great songs that his fans wanted to hear.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    A great album i should listen to it again some time soon.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This album was dope from what i remember.Q always been an abstract,jazzy and original artist.I need to buy this one day.
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2011
    Options
    q-tip-flyer_frnt.jpg

For my people in London, England, Q-Tip is touching down in the city on August 26th, 2011. Go cop your tickets at Ticketmaster.

Copped mines already

Upfront!!!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ^^^ Got mine for Manchester!!! Can't wait!! Get some pics!! :tu
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    q-tip-flyer_frnt.jpg

For my people in London, England, Q-Tip is touching down in the city on August 26th, 2011. Go cop your tickets at Ticketmaster.

Copped mines already

Upfront!!!!!

that show is on my birthday!! i should fly out there lol.