Who do you consider white?

Options
caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Is it all people of European descent?
Is it all people lighter than you?
Do you consider Italians as white?
Do you consider Latinos that look white as white?
Well, what say you?

Who do you consider White?

To answer my own question. I dont believe "white" is a race or ethnic group. I think it is a way to group all Americans with European background. The only Euro countries that I dont count as white are Greece and Italians. Everyone else gets stereotyped.

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    silverfox.gif

i really wanna hear this
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Is it all people of European descent?
    Is it all people lighter than you?
    Do you consider Italians as white?
    Do you consider Latinos that look white as white?
    Well, what say you?

Who do you consider White?

To answer my own question. I dont believe "white" is a race or ethnic group. I think it is a way to group all Americans with European background. The only Euro countries that I dont count as white are Greece and Italians. Everyone else gets stereotyped.

WTF are u talking about? So they are their own damn race now?

They are caucasian
  • NastyNasty
    NastyNasty Members Posts: 747 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Personally, I tend to put anyone of European descent in that group, including southern Europeans.

Though racial categories as we understand them are very parochial. They are more part of anglo (British/North America) culture than anything else.

Most Europeans view themselves by nationality before "white". Similarly, most Africans and Asians view themselves first by nationality (or tribe).
  • MissLeading
    MissLeading Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you're not of African, Asian, Indian or native American descent then you're white to me.

I really don't care for the specifics.
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    anybody not black or latino
  • caddo man
    edited May 2011
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    WTF are u talking about? So they are their own damn race now?

They are caucasian

In that case we have to add Indian and north africans to that list too.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Caucasian
  • MissLeading
    MissLeading Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Great minds think alike

highfive.png

• caddo man
    edited May 2011
    Options
    NastyNasty wrote: »
    Personally, I tend to put anyone of European descent in that group, including southern Europeans.

Though racial categories as we understand them are very parochial. They more part of anglo (British/North America) culture than anything else.

Most Europeans view themselves by nationality before "white". Similarly, most Africans and Asians view themselves first by nationality (or tribe).

Man Americans are so ignorant on this. Well most Blacks and southern "Whites" are.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I consider you white , if you nationality is american and our of European descendant expect if your jewish , than your a jew . European immigrants, white skinned latinos etc are not

white since white is a construct of american culture and does not account for things like nationality or ethnicity.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I consider you white , if you nationality is american and our of European descendant expect if your jewish , than your a jew . European immigrants, white skinned latinos etc are not

white since white is a construct of american culture and does not account for things like nationality or ethnicity.

Jew is not a race and the present day jews (who are what u call khazars) are white. The Hebrews in the Bible are not white
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    anyone who's not mongoloid, negroid, or a mix of any of the three is a caucasoid in my book.
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Bill O'Reilly is White. When I think "WHITE", I think Bill O'Reilly. He is the epitome of WHITENESS. His picture should be in the dictionary next to the word WHITE. Newt Gingrich falls into that category as well. Add Rush Limbaugh and you get my point... Excruciatingly, disgustingly, overwhelmingly, uncontrollably WHITE.

I think I'm gonna ? .
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    IMO Greeks and Italians are white.

But, increasingly, it doesn't really matter if you're not white. What matters is that you're not black. The fundamental racial division of the future (more so than now) will be between blacks on the one hand and nonblacks (whites, Asians, non-black Hispanics, etc.) on the other. The struggle will continue.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    white ppl from america is what I consider straight white ppl
    if your white from another country i group you with that area EX. white-itallain, white-french, white-british etc.....

just like black people from america is just straight black ppl to me
    but black from another country is EX. black-brazilian, black-south african, black-dominican etc.....

simply cause other countrys dont like to be grouped with americans, for ex. africans dont wanna be group with african american black ppl

just my view on things to each is own
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you're not of African, Asian, Indian or native American descent then you're white to me.

I really don't care for the specifics.

That's about how I feel about it. ^^^^
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    IMO Greeks and Italians are white.

But, increasingly, it doesn't really matter if you're not white. What matters is that you're not black. The fundamental racial division of the future (more so than now) will be between blacks on the one hand and nonblacks (whites, Asians, non-black Hispanics, etc.) on the other. The struggle will continue.

Real ? right here too. I don't think people are truly peepin' the global racial divide when it comes to blacks versus everybody else.
  • aDboy
    aDboy Members Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Options
    T/S why don't you put Greeks and Italians in the same 'white' category with the others?
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    me
    myself
    and i
    and ?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    IMO, there are only 5 racial/ethnic groups in the world:

Black
    White
    Asian
    Middle Eastern
    Latino

So, if they don't fall under one of the other categories, they're white.

**Shrugs**
  • 2Gee4FourRoomz
    2Gee4FourRoomz Members Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    crackers...and not the ones with peanut butter in the middle
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    southern europeans are white imo. same with jews.

i don't consider the majority of hispanics to be white, except maybe argentinians. a lot of them are straight european
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    IMO, there are only 5 racial/ethnic groups in the world:

Black
    White
    Asian
    Middle Eastern
    Latino

So, if they don't fall under one of the other categories, they're white.

**Shrugs**
    someone please explain the bold one cause i see people here get ? when some one says there latino, dudes on here come with the your latino your blk or your white etc
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    asians aint nothing but slant eyed deformed white people to me.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    someone please explain the bold one cause i see people here get ? when some one says there latino, dudes on here come with the your latino your blk or your white etc

im not sure and Ive asked latinos this and have gotten different responses from friends, coworkers and even spanish instructors differ on opinion but I think its just a cultural thing...similar language, customs, and foods...not a race really