Black Churches Are Embarrassing

Options
phanatron
phanatron Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
When 10 year olds can get up and spout the same random nonsense that 50 year olds spout, this is a clear indication that something has went way wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSViplMbb2w&feature=related

Comments

• phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options

Who really gets down with this stuff? This is a prime example that you don't need any training or education at all to get people to follow you.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options

This is basically what it means to be a black Christian in the US. Even a 10 year old can come up with the lame theology and convoluted scripture that people will believe.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Watch Jesus Camp if you haven't seen it yet...that will really make you sick.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    Watch Jesus Camp if you haven't seen it yet...that will really make you sick.

I saw it. You're right.... it is out of control.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    that ? wouldnt fly in my church ? gotta know have some life experiince. he gonna forget all this when he get interested in ?

im a christian i'm black and this ? dont make sense.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    that ? wouldnt fly in my church ? gotta know have some life experiince. he gonna forget all this when he get interested in ?

im a christian i'm black and this ? dont make sense.

None of it makes sense. There are so many gaping holes in the Bible that a person has to jump through huge hoops to make any sense of it all. Most people don't even attempt to make any sense of this stuff and they just go along with the flow. The fact that your church may not allow this level of foolishness doesn't mean much because I'm sure they allow all kinds of other levels of foolishness that go unchallenged.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    phanatron wrote: »
    None of it makes sense. There are so many gaping holes in the Bible that a person has to jump through huge hoops to make any sense of it all. Most people don't even attempt to make any sense of this stuff and they just go along with the flow. The fact that your church may not allow this level of foolishness doesn't mean much because I'm sure they allow all kinds of other levels of foolishness that go unchallenged.

2412r2v.jpg

ze2s.jpg

• glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That little dude going to be getting hella ? in a few years......grown women ? .
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options

This is a bit convoluted. Basically what I was saying that as a whole, this stuff--Christianity and churches-- doesn't make sense. In order to make any sense of the Bible (as seperate from Christianity and churches) a person has to go to extreme lengths in order to reconcile all of the contradictions. For most Christians, they don't even do that. They just accept the contradictions and make no attempt to explain them. Most black Christians are walking contradictions.
  • white people like me
    white people like me Members Posts: 171
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It's kinda sad because at such a young age these kids really have no idea what theyre talking about. We talk about the government indoctrinating kids, well this is pure indoctrination. I love how these kids are apparently so educated and knowledgeable about reading and interpreting complex passages in the bible but score low on standardized reading tests.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It's kinda sad because at such a young age these kids really have no idea what theyre talking about. We talk about the government indoctrinating kids, well this is pure indoctrination. I love how these kids are apparently so educated and knowledgeable about reading and interpreting complex passages in the bible but score low on standardized reading tests.

Exactly. These kids know nothing about allegory, symbolisim, or other literay devices that change the context or the meaning of a certain passage. We would not hand them a work by Edgar Allan Poe or by Shakespeare for them to interpert or provide meaning to.

The reason why they can get up and preach is because the adults they are preaching to are on the same level as they are. At the age of 10, these kids have the religious maturity as most African Americans who go to church. Their reasoning is just as sound (or unsound) and accepatable as people who have been preaching for 50 years.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options
    To follow up, people criticize higher forms of religion and spiritual practice for the simple reason that they don't have the mental capacity to understand them. It causes too much strain and is too taxing so they simply say things like 'I know my ? is real' or quote Bible verses, even when they make absolutely no sense.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Though I do agree that this kid doesn't need to have this position as a preacher, I would say this: Does life have to make sense first in order to live it? Does everything needs to have a credible answer to be accepted? Trust is an important aspect in life but it is lacking severely.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Though I do agree that this kid doesn't need to have this position as a preacher, I would say this: Does life have to make sense first in order to live it? Does everything needs to have a credible answer to be accepted? Trust is an important aspect in life but it is lacking severely.

Life doesn't make sense and if we could accept the absurdity of it all, we would be able to appreciate it on a grander scale.

What problematic is that this is an attempt to make sense of life. These explenations are more absurd than life itself.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Life doesn't make sense and if we could accept the absurdity of it all, we would be able to appreciate it on a grander scale.

What problematic is that this is an attempt to make sense of life. These explenations are more absurd than life itself.

Life makes sense if you understand that you are part of creation and not separate from it. I think the absurdity comes in when we try to detach ourselves from our enviroment. There is nothing absurd about life if we are harmony with creation. Scientists spend their whole life studying nature to advance the human being. It has worked to a degree.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    glowy wrote: »
    That little dude going to be getting hella ? in a few years......grown women ? .

That old stank.
  • phanatron
    edited March 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Life makes sense if you understand that you are part of creation and not separate from it. I think the absurdity comes in when we try to detach ourselves from our enviroment. There is nothing absurd about life if we are harmony with creation. Scientists spend their whole life studying nature to advance the human being. It has worked to a degree.

Creation denotes a creator. If there is a creator then there is a 'purpose' behind all of this. If there is a purpose then life isn't absurd at all, all we have to do is discover what that purpose is.

Where the absurdity starts is in imagining a creator. From there, we imagine a purpose and then we imagine that we've discovered that purpose. How hard is it to then imagine that a lil 10 year old discovered his purpose at an early age and was 'called' to preach? At this point, the madness is in full swing.