POLL!**Which pending NFL move will have the biggest impact next season??**

Options

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm still sayin Cam. Cuz if Jones doesn't work out for ATL, whatever just a bad draft pick. But when you bring in who you think is a franchise QB, and he's the 1st overall pick. If he fails your team is ? for a while. But then if he's as good as the Panthers think he is he's gonna make the team much better.

I'm not sayin which rookie will be on the team with the better record. Just which one I think can have the biggest impact (positive or negative) on the team.

Out of those players in the poll -- I agree -- Cam has maybe the biggest up and DEFINITELY the biggest down side. But overall, I don't think Cam's down side is that deep.

Let's not forget that just a few years before the Chargers got hold of not one but TWO good QBs (Drew Brees and then later Phillip Rivers) they drafted arguably the biggest QB bust in history in Ryan Leaf. So you don't have to be doomed to failure for a decade after drafting a QB bust #1, but you will take some lumps.

I can't totally agree Cam has the biggest up side either -- 'cause the name of the game is going to the Super Bowl and winning it. And aside from Kevin Kolb -- the other choices (Julio, Nnamdi, and McNabb) have the potential to push their teams over the ? and into the Super Bowl. I hear what you're saying doe.
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm still sayin Cam. Cuz if Jones doesn't work out for ATL, whatever just a bad draft pick. But when you bring in who you think is a franchise QB, and he's the 1st overall pick. If he fails your team is ? for a while. But then if he's as good as the Panthers think he is he's gonna make the team much better.

I'm not sayin which rookie will be on the team with the better record. Just which one I think can have the biggest impact (positive or negative) on the team.

I dont think Cam will have an impact this year. With the lockout keeping players from having no OTA's, and possibly no other team activities he is gonna be behind whenever the season starts. He might not even play until late in the season.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »
    I dont think Cam will have an impact this year. With the lockout keeping players from having no OTA's, and possibly no other team activities he is gonna be behind whenever the season starts. He might not even play until late in the season.

I think the Panthers will force him out there early and often -- they don't currently have what the Falcons had in '01 when they drafted Vick -- A veteran, proven QB that can produce. We had Chris Chandler who took us to a Super Bowl just a few years prior, so Reeves had the luxury of giving Chandler at least one last shot to produce before he started giving Vick some run.

The Panthers don't have ? , lol. For ticket sales sake, and just for optimism sake, they need him to go out there and at the very least give Panther's fans something to be "interested" in.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Out of those players in the poll -- I agree -- Cam has maybe the biggest up and DEFINITELY the biggest down side. But overall, I don't think Cam's down side is that deep.

Let's not forget that just a few years before the Chargers got hold of not one but TWO good QBs (Drew Brees and then later Phillip Rivers) they drafted arguably the biggest QB bust in history in Ryan Leaf. So you don't have to be doomed to failure for a decade after drafting a QB bust #1, but you will take some lumps.

I can't totally agree Cam has the biggest up side either -- 'cause the name of the game is going to the Super Bowl and winning it. And aside from Kevin Kolb -- the other choices (Julio, Nnamdi, and McNabb) have the potential to push their teams over the ? and into the Super Bowl. I hear what you're saying doe.

I thnk Jones, and Nnamdi are better than Newton. But only on playoff caliber teams will Nnamdi make a difference. Jones may do well, I'm interested to see how the Falcons use him. I think Mcnabb is done being a true impact player.

Panthers could get another good QB if Newton fails, but that's hard to do a lot of the time. Look at the Ravens. They aren't gonna let Flacco go NOWHERE, and he's not even that special, haha.
  • bow to royalty
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »

I think he'll start early in the season. Fans are only gonna let you get away with playin ? for so long, while you got the #1 overall pick on the bench. If their QB's come out this year like they did last year they'll have to play him early.
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Im gonna say wherever Mcnabb goes. Not many rookie Qbs come in and have successful first years. And i think they will Keep Mcnabb and he will have more success in the 2nd year in the system if they get more weapons. John Beck and Grossman are not the answer....
  • juice86
    juice86 Members Posts: 832
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Julio Jones to ATL. ATL has a good team and now they got this ? and his speed, just watch this dude is going to beat corners to death with his speed
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i'll say Julio. In terms of adding wins to a team, I think Cam will have the biggest impact on his team. but no matter what, the Panthers will be at best a 7 win team so it wont have a huge impact on the league itself. but then again if he sucks, the panthers wont get much worse.

but i think the success, or lack thereof, of Julio Jones will determine if the Falcons are just another playoff team or if they are serious contender for a title
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    but my answer could change depending on where mcnabb, kolb, or maybe even palmer end up playing.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Id say its a toss up between wehre Nnamdi or Kolb ends up ... they both can have the impact to change a franchise
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If Nandmi Goes to a team with a pro bowl corner if not I have to go with other with easy
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I thnk Jones, and Nnamdi are better than Newton. But only on playoff caliber teams will Nnamdi make a difference. Jones may do well, I'm interested to see how the Falcons use him. I think Mcnabb is done being a true impact player.

Panthers could get another good QB if Newton fails, but that's hard to do a lot of the time. Look at the Ravens. They aren't gonna let Flacco go NOWHERE, and he's not even that special, haha.

LoL @ ? throwin' the dirt on McNabb out chea. Never been a big fan of his, I just don't believe he'll go out like this. Never seen a player of his caliber get disrespected so much. Just think -- if he just up and retires in Washington as their "back up" QB that would mean...

1. His career started by getting booed by his own team's "fans" on draft day.
    2. His career ends as a Redskin and the back up to some dude named John Beck.

^^^ That would be the saddest/funniest ? in sports history.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    juice86 wrote: »
    Julio Jones to ATL. ATL has a good team and now they got this ? and his speed, just watch this dude is going to beat corners to death with his speed

Tru. But like I said, it ain't just about what Julio actually does himself (stats, etc.) but what he OPENS UP for the rest of the offense. The X-factor last season was Michael Turner. We were 7-0 in games where he had over 100 yds rushing and we were 6-4 when he didn't.

That means that every team went in knowing that if they could keep Turner from going off -- then all they had to do was double Roddy to shut down our offense and time-of-possession (which we were 2nd in the league in).

Everybody that knows anything about football knows that the more your running game gets shut down -- the closer to the L.O.S the Safeties can come -- which negates Tony Gonzo because his routes get covered by shallow safeties playing close to the box.

ATL is going to dare defenses every week to bring their safeties up with statistically the best receiver in football on one side -- and a T.O. meets Randy Moss proto-type on the other. So it becomes a "pick your poison" situation.

The same situation that made New England so dangerous in that 16-0 season with Moss/ The Eagles in that first season with T.O./ and The Cowboys in '93-'94 with the combo of Alvin Harper, Michael Irvin, and Emmit Smith.

I'm not sure if Mike Mularkey (Falcons O-coordinator) has the best job in the world right now or the worst. 'Cause if he draws up the right ? , he'll be a highly-paid rookie head coach in 2012 for sure -- and if he doesn't -- He'll be unemployed. lol
  • Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

1257332388_ichi_the_killer_smoking.gif
    You messing with the wrong peeps
  • bow to royalty
    edited May 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    i'll say Julio. In terms of adding wins to a team, I think Cam will have the biggest impact on his team. but no matter what, the Panthers will be at best a 7 win team so it wont have a huge impact on the league itself. but then again if he sucks, the panthers wont get much worse.

but i think the success, or lack thereof, of Julio Jones will determine if the Falcons are just another playoff team or if they are serious contender for a title

They aren't reachin 7.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    They aren't reachin 7.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eeked out 7 wins -- but that's their ceiling. They weren't the least talented team in the league last year (that was the Broncos) they just were in arguably the toughest division in the league and they were soft in key positions (QB, O-line, etc.) If they force Cam out there day one (without mini-camp and possibly missing even more time due to hold out - which I'm sure he'll do.) They may lose 5 or more games before mid-season.
  • Hotnikelz
    Hotnikelz Members Posts: 430
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the packers' 15 returning players from IR clearly
  • bow to royalty
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if they eeked out 7 wins -- but that's their ceiling. They weren't the least talented team in the league last year (that was the Broncos) they just were in arguably the toughest division in the league and they were soft in key positions (QB, O-line, etc.) If they force Cam out there day one (without mini-camp and possibly missing even more time due to hold out - which I'm sure he'll do.) They may lose 5 or more games before mid-season.

* Sep. 11 at Cardinals 4:15 on FOX

* Sep. 18 – Packers 1:00 PM EDT on FOX

* Sep. 25 – Jaguars 1:00 PM EDT on CBS

* Oct. 02 at Bears 1:00 PM EDT on FOX

* Oct. 09 – Saints 1:00 PM EDT on FOX

* Oct. 16 at Falcons 1:00 PM EDT on FOX

* Oct. 23 - Redskins 1:00 PM EDT on FOX

* Oct. 30 - Vikings 1:00 PM EDT on FOX

* Bye

* Nov. 13 - Titans 1:00 PM EST on CBS

* Nov. 20 at Lions 1:00 PM EST on FOX

* Nov. 27 at Colts 1:00 PM EST on FOX

* Dec. 04 at Buccaneers 1:00 PM EST on FOX

* Dec. 11 - Falcons 1:00 PM EST on FOX

* Dec. 18 at Texans 1:00 PM EST on FOX

* Dec. 24 - Buccaneers 1:00 PM EST on FOX

* Jan. 01 at Saints 1:00 PM EST on FOX

You gotta show me the 7 you think they're gonna win. I'm thinkin they'll get 4 at most.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Don't think mcnabb or ocho will have big impacts. I think cam will struggle this year but show signs of being very good also so I'm going with nnamdi. Especially if he goes to a team like philly, the fact that we got to the playoffs w/ that secondary is crazy so adding asante will only help
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

* Bye

You gotta show me the 7 you think they're gonna win. I'm thinkin they'll get 4 at most.

agreed. The combination of that division and them throwing cam to the wolves will only get them a couple of wins even if they play well in some games
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options

* Bye

Yeah, that ? looks crazy now, but unless you just started watching the NFL last year -- you should know better.

The Falcons had everything that could possible go wrong with a NFL team happen to them in 2007....

- Best player went to jail.

- Coach quit in the middle of the season.

- GM stepped down.

- Drafted a rookie QB that most felt wasn't good enough to be drafted that high.

- Gambled on giving a big contract to a free agent running back that has never been a starter in the NFL.

- Hired a rookie head coach that had never been a head coach on any level, hired a GM that was younger than some of the players and had never been a full-fledged GM before.

^^^^ Judging by that, most ? would've been surprised if they won 5 games in '08.

....They ended up losing just 5 games. And that's just one example.

As for that Panther's schedule -- Like I said, the Panthers are NOT the least talented team in football. They could steal one from either of the NFC South teams (especially the Buccaneers, and they lost only 16-14 to the Saints once last year).

Others they could beat: Cardinals, Jaguars, Redskins, Lions, Titans. And let's face it, every team you *think* they can't beat on that schedule lost at least one game last year that they should've won easily. That's the NFL for you. And don't get me wrong, if they go 2-14 again -- I wouldn't be surprised either.

Crazy how ? get their minds blown every year thinkin' the most unpredictable league in sports is somehow gonna become predictable all of a sudden after damn near a hunned years of play, lol. I guess it's all the NBA, Baseball, and predictable summer movies y'all watch in the NFL offseason. lol. Gotta be.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    dayum, the nfl ? on the Panthers this year

haha, stays on a rotation. All the league can do is pick whether it's home or away. I don't see how people got them winnin 7 games. QB is a question mark, Steve Smith wants outta town, Deangelo Williams may or may not be there. But somehow they're gonna have a harder schedule and win 5 more games? I just don't see it happenin.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, that ? looks crazy now, but unless you just started watching the NFL last year -- you should know better.

The Falcons had everything that could possible go wrong with a NFL team happen to them in 2007....

- Best player went to jail.

- Coach quit in the middle of the season.

- GM stepped down.

- Drafted a rookie QB that most felt wasn't good enough to be drafted that high.

- Gambled on giving a big contract to a free agent running back that has never been a starter in the NFL.

- Hired a rookie head coach that had never been a head coach on any level, hired a GM that was younger than some of the players and had never been a full-fledged GM before.

^^^^ Judging by that, most ? would've been surprised if they won 5 games in '08.

....They ended up losing just 5 games. And that's just one example.

As for that Panther's schedule -- Like I said, the Panthers are NOT the least talented team in football. They could steal one from either of the NFC South teams (especially the Buccaneers, and they lost only 16-14 to the Saints once last year).

Others they could beat: Cardinals, Jaguars, Redskins, Lions, Titans. And let's face it, every team you *think* they can't beat on that schedule lost at least one game last year that they should've won easily. That's the NFL for you. And don't get me wrong, if they go 2-14 again -- I wouldn't be surprised either.

Crazy how ? get their minds blown every year thinkin' the most unpredictable league in sports is somehow gonna become predictable all of a sudden after damn near a hunned years of play, lol. I guess it's all the NBA, Baseball, and predictable summer movies y'all watch in the NFL offseason. lol. Gotta be.

I hear you but the Falcons had more goin for them on the field. Roddy White, Michael Turner, John Abraham, Keith Brooking (old but still a real solid leader). Once Matt Ryan was workin out, they had enough pieces in place to win. Panthers scared something like 7 TD's all last season?

Now this year they're playin 7 games against teams that were in the playoffs last year, and 3 more against teams JUST outside the playoffs. I don't see em hittin 7. It's true the NFL is hard to predict (especially the NFC South). But In an over/under 7 for Panthers wins, i'm sayin under.
  • greenwood1921
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I hear you but the Falcons had more goin for them on the field. Roddy White, Michael Turner, John Abraham, Keith Brooking (old but still a real solid leader). Once Matt Ryan was workin out, they had enough pieces in place to win. Panthers scared something like 7 TD's all last season?

Now this year they're playin 7 games against teams that were in the playoffs last year, and 3 more against teams JUST outside the playoffs. I don't see em hittin 7. It's true the NFL is hard to predict (especially the NFC South). But In an over/under 7 for Panthers wins, i'm sayin under.

Nah, bruh, Falcons were much worse. And lol @ Brooking being a "leader". He padded his stats and made a bunch of pro-bowls with 150+ tackles a year that were all at least 8 yards down field, lol. He didn't really start that "I'm a leader" frontin' till he got to Dallas (notice how they fell off as soon as he came to town, lol). His best years were his first 4 or 5 seasons.

To me, the biggest question mark with Carolina ain't even Cam or anyone else on the team -- it's the new coaching staff and HC. Rivera had a up-and-down career as a defensive coordinator and I'm not sure what he really brings to the table. Then again, Mike Smith's only real accomplishment on his resume was winning a Super Bowl on the Ravens coaching staff and coaching up their D-line and linebackers (including Ray Lewis).

Panthers could finish anywhere between 0-16 and 7-9. Wouldn't be surprised by either.
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nah, bruh, Falcons were much worse. And lol @ Brooking being a "leader". He padded his stats and made a bunch of pro-bowls with 150+ tackles a year that were all at least 8 yards down field, lol. He didn't really start that "I'm a leader" frontin' till he got to Dallas (notice how they fell off as soon as he came to town, lol). His best years were his first 4 or 5 seasons.

To me, the biggest question mark with Carolina ain't even Cam or anyone else on the team -- it's the new coaching staff and HC. Rivera had a up-and-down career as a defensive coordinator and I'm not sure what he really brings to the table. Then again, Mike Smith's only real accomplishment on his resume was winning a Super Bowl on the Ravens coaching staff and coaching up their D-line and linebackers (including Ray Lewis).

Panthers could finish anywhere between 0-16 and 7-9. Wouldn't be surprised by either.

What position would you say the Panthers are set at though? They got a DE that had a good season, so he may work out, and maybe running backs. The Falcons seemed better off with Turner, Roddy White, and Abraham in place. Once Ryan worked out they were straight.

Panthers have a defensive minded head coach takin over the worst offense in the NFL right now. So I dunno if they can get it together in 1 short offseason. Anything's possible so they COULD win 7 games. I'm just sayin I think the odds are really against them.