stupot0607
stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Waiting To Exhale
I Could have been born in 1923,
Being 21 years old & all alone,
Defending the frontline at the battle of Bastogne,
Fighting on the 20th day in December with a lack of supplies,
Me & my friends bombed & shot, I see their limbs fly,
Smoke fills the air and it’s hard to see…

I Could have been born in 1923,
Being 21 years old & all alone,
Advancing on Guadalcanal, being the progressive backbone,
Devastated by the lack of humanitarianism shown,
Praying to ? nightly…

I Was Born in 1990,
And I am about to turn 21,
And I am all alone,
Witnessing our generations history unfold,
Our fate to be decided by our corrupt governments,
Throughout my life I have stayed patient & observant,
I don’t believe in your ? ,
And unfortunately we are yet war free,
But if I did believe in ? ,
I would thank him I wasn’t born in 1923.

Stupot0607

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nice piece Stupot :tu

You a big fan of History? It's true all of what you said, thankfully, we was never born then...

But in terms of how a war brings the people together, I missed the post-war years that my Grandparents have enjoyed... I remember (being a little older than you) that walking through their village, my Grandad would life his hat and say good morning to everyone in the street... that kind of respect has died out and as I watch my Grandad walk the same street, it's a shame that he's one of the last from his generation. He doesn't lift his hat anymore because there is no one there who would do it back.

By the way, if you're into war a lot, the Forgotten Highlander is a great book about a Scottish soldier who spends most of his time in the East. His story is incredible.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Nice piece Stupot :tu

You a big fan of History? It's true all of what you said, thankfully, we was never born then...

But in terms of how a war brings the people together, I missed the post-war years that my Grandparents have enjoyed... I remember (being a little older than you) that walking through their village, my Grandad would life his hat and say good morning to everyone in the street... that kind of respect has died out and as I watch my Grandad walk the same street, it's a shame that he's one of the last from his generation. He doesn't lift his hat anymore because there is no one there who would do it back.

By the way, if you're into war a lot, the Forgotten Highlander is a great book about a Scottish soldier who spends most of his time in the East. His story is incredible.

Thanks Draft, its my first piece, im gonna start doing a few more in my spare time.

im not a fan of war. i just been watching a lot of war documentrys recently and even though i strongly disagree with it, it is entertaining and interesting. so thanks for the book suggestion, but my reading is like my itunes, im reading 10 books at once. i might give it a read when i get finished with one of them haha.

Yeah i know, i 100% agree with you, war can bring people and nations together. i feel our generation are zombies thanks to new technology and attitude towards each other. but i dont think war is neccisary for this haha.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Thanks Draft, its my first piece, im gonna start doing a few more in my spare time.

im not a fan of war. i just been watching a lot of war documentrys recently and even though i strongly disagree with it, it is entertaining and interesting. so thanks for the book suggestion, but my reading is like my itunes, im reading 10 books at once. i might give it a read when i get finished with one of them haha.

Yeah i know, i 100% agree with you, war can bring people and nations together. i feel our generation are zombies thanks to new technology and attitude towards each other. but i dont think war is neccisary for this haha.

Yeah, you should... I think anyone who gets into hip hop on a deeper level eventually turns to writing poetry of sorts just to see what you can come up with, you should check out Dessa in The Essence, she used to be a poet and is now making records as part of Doomtree.

hahaha nah, tbh, if I was to recommend a book, I'd recommend the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, which is my favourite book... but if you want to read one about war go with The Forgotten Highlander, really great read, one of those books that you read and wonder 'How is this man still alive?' lol.

Yeah, technology and just plain selfishness. Definitely agree that there are better ways of bringing people together than world war though!! haha
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this piece.. thank you for sharing this with us..