The Official 2011 Bulking Thread

Options
truth spitter
truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Weight Room
There has been a recent spurt of threads asking about how to pack on the pounds. Well now that the weight loss competition is over, it's time to eat!! Post your weight goals and when you plan to start. This isn't a contest, but a spot where u can ask all bulk related questions and drop tips so we are all successful. I must say taking progress pics is a great way to track yourself. I started a bodyspace on bodybuilding.com last summer to help me see if I was improving. Let's get it fellas.

My Stats:

Plan to start bulking sometime in August
5'8
Currently around 160lb
Weight Goal- 180-190lb by January 2012
25qqas3.jpg

Comments

• lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Check again becuz there is no way you are 160. I'm 5'9 and I was a skinny 160. In this pic you got more mass than me and I'm currently 186
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    naw about 10 days ago I was 162....I'm probably a pound or two less than that now but I'm 5'8 around 160....people hold weight differently...I can post pics of guys 5'10 and 185 and they would look hella massive...you would thk they were at least 200...dont be fooled by pics...in person I dont look that big..with a shirt on you couldn't even tell I lift
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121353501

Check that thread out....it's basically a full guide on Growth Stimulus Training (GST)...it looks like a simple, but effective workout to putting on some good mass...it focuses on the key compound movements (squats, bench press, deadlifts) that can put slabs of muscle on you as quickly as possible..
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Good thread, Shad :tu I'm going to start lifting July 4th, 2011. My current weight is 174 pounds, body fat is around 13% and I'm 5'8. I dont really have a weight goal since this is my first bulk. I'm just going to play it by ear and see how it goes and how I look.

After losing 50 pounds, I'm ready to eat, eat, eat (clean of course), and pack on some serious mass. With that being said, since I've never really done a "bulk" before (plus knowing how my body responds to gaining and losing weight), I expect to put on alot of muscle :tu

I will be doing a 4 day split routine, using mostly heavy compound exercises, increasing the weight weekly. I got this workout program from muscleandstrength.com I'll do it for about 8 - 10 weeks until I switch up to another program, unless I'm still seeing good results with this one, then I may do it a little longer. As long as I'm increasing the weight, I should be ok. I will be supplementing with whey, casein, creatine, BCAA's, and liver tablets.

Monday - Chest and Triceps
    Barbell Bench Press 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6
    Incline Bench Press 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
    Decline Bench Press 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
    Dumbbell Flys 2 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Pullover 2 sets of 8

Tricep Extension 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6 adding weight
    Tricep Dip 3 sets of 10
    Tricep Bench Dip 3 sets of 8

Tuesday - Back and Biceps
    Deadlift 3 sets of 10, 10, 8
    Chin Up 2 sets of 8
    One Arm Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 8
    Seated Row 2 sets of 8
    Bent Over Barbell Row 2 sets 8

Standing Barbell Curl 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
    Close Grip Preacher Curl 3sets of 8, 8, 6
    Incline Dumbbell Curl 2 sets of 12-14
    Concentration Curl 2 sets of 10

Thursday - Shoulders and Forearms
    Machine Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Reverse Fly 3 sets of 8-10
    Military Press 4 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise 2 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Shrugs 2 sets of 10
    Upright Row 2 sets of 10

Standing Wrist Curl 4 sets of 10
    Barbell Wrist Curl 4 sets of 10

Friday - Legs
    Squat 5 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6, 4
    Leg Extension 3 sets of 12
    Leg Curl 3 sets of 12
    Standing Calf Raise 4 sets of 12
    Seated calf Raise 2 sets of 12
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    5'10.5 177

my goal is to be around 185-190
    11620022a623bdc213ce8f0e3b79b2906f5d8295.jpg
    1162001953141a9b2b1065b9fcb0446c4fced8a0.jpg

The biggest thing for me gaining weight is my calorie/protein intake.

I'm classified as an ectomorph which means I have a high metabolism.

I've been using my pull up bar called the iron gym cause I wanted to add lean mass and look more defined.

I was about 167 7-8 months ago, but the past 5-6 months I've been really concentrating on my calorie-protein intake.

I eat around 225-250 grams of protein a day now and 3000+ in calories.

I've also been taking a creatine pre-workout supplement called animal pump, best workout you will ever feel in your life.

I first took it when I was like 19 but stopped for awhile after some gains, but now I'm back on it to try and help with some extra mass.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I might participate..I gotta similar build but nowhere near as bulky as the posters pics already posted.

on second though Ive been cursed with having all my weight..fat store in my lower posterior so I may sit this one out and stick with cutting up.
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    Good thread, Shad :tu I'm going to start lifting July 4th, 2011. My current weight is 174 pounds, body fat is around 13% and I'm 5'8. I dont really have a weight goal since this is my first bulk. I'm just going to play it by ear and see how it goes and how I look.

After losing 50 pounds, I'm ready to eat, eat, eat (clean of course), and pack on some serious mass. With that being said, since I've never really done a "bulk" before (plus knowing how my body responds to gaining and losing weight), I expect to put on alot of muscle :tu

I will be doing a 4 day split routine, using mostly heavy compound exercises, increasing the weight weekly. I got this workout program from muscleandstrength.com I'll do it for about 8 - 10 weeks until I switch up to another program, unless I'm still seeing good results with this one, then I may do it a little longer. As long as I'm increasing the weight, I should be ok. I will be supplementing with whey, casein, creatine, BCAA's, and liver tablets.

Monday - Chest and Triceps
    Barbell Bench Press 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6
    Incline Bench Press 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
    Decline Bench Press 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
    Dumbbell Flys 2 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Pullover 2 sets of 8

Tricep Extension 4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6 adding weight
    Tricep Dip 3 sets of 10
    Tricep Bench Dip 3 sets of 8

Tuesday - Back and Biceps
    Deadlift 3 sets of 10, 10, 8
    Chin Up 2 sets of 8
    One Arm Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 8
    Seated Row 2 sets of 8
    Bent Over Barbell Row 2 sets 8

Standing Barbell Curl 3 sets of 8, 8, 6
    Close Grip Preacher Curl 3sets of 8, 8, 6
    Incline Dumbbell Curl 2 sets of 12-14
    Concentration Curl 2 sets of 10

Thursday - Shoulders and Forearms
    Machine Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Reverse Fly 3 sets of 8-10
    Military Press 4 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise 2 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Shrugs 2 sets of 10
    Upright Row 2 sets of 10

Standing Wrist Curl 4 sets of 10
    Barbell Wrist Curl 4 sets of 10

Friday - Legs
    Squat 5 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6, 4
    Leg Extension 3 sets of 12
    Leg Curl 3 sets of 12
    Standing Calf Raise 4 sets of 12
    Seated calf Raise 2 sets of 12

Looks like you got your workout program and supplementation on point. When you start post your diet too. What will be your macros u tryin to hit each day?
    kAjUn wrote: »
    5'10.5 177

my goal is to be around 185-190

The biggest thing for me gaining weight is my calorie/protein intake.

I'm classified as an ectomorph which means I have a high metabolism.

I've been using my pull up bar called the iron gym cause I wanted to add lean mass and look more defined.

I was about 167 7-8 months ago, but the past 5-6 months I've been really concentrating on my calorie-protein intake.

I eat around 225-250 grams of protein a day now and 3000+ in calories.

I've also been taking a creatine pre-workout supplement called animal pump, best workout you will ever feel in your life.

I first took it when I was like 19 but stopped for awhile after some gains, but now I'm back on it to try and help with some extra mass.

you can hit 190 easily by the end of this year....gain 2-3 pounds a month..easy. I'm taking a break from the gym myself and only doing calisthenics til I bulk. Do you work out your lower body?
  • Mastery
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Looks like you got your workout program and supplementation on point. When you start post your diet too. What will be your macros u tryin to hit each day?
    I was thinking my daily caloric intake would be somewhere around 3500 to start, consisting of about 400 grams of carbs, 200 grams of protein, and about 100 grams of fat *shrugs* Based on how my body responds over the first couple of weeks, I will either drop my caloric intake or maintain it for the time being. We'll see.
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was thinking my daily caloric intake would be somewhere around 3500 to start, consisting of about 400 grams of carbs, 200 grams of protein, and about 100 grams of fat *shrugs* Based on how my body responds over the first couple of weeks, I will either drop my caloric intake or maintain it for the time being. We'll see.

I'd start off at 3000. What has been your calorie intake while cutting? If you start off too high a lot of that will end up fat. Slowly increasing your calories is the trick. IMO when u aren't really advanced like us we should just go all out on our first and second bulks. Gain as much weight as possible and look at the damage later lol. But still try to limit the amount of fat accumulated. I thk this will be my second and last all out bulk where I just eat everything in sight. Fall 2012 I'm going to start "clean bulking" or just take my time and try to put on 1-2 pounds of quality mass each month.

This is Timberwolfs diet back in 07 when he experimented with clean bulking. He's known to cut ? .

Since I decided to try to bring my weight up to 195lbs in the next 6 months I've been slowly increasing my calorie intake. While I'm not eating super clean...its actually alot 'cleaner' than what I would follow on a hypocaloric "cutting" intake. It does seem counter intuitive to diet "? " and bulk "clean" but from a health profile perspective I think it would make sense.

This is a typical day:

09:00AM
    1 scoop musclemilk
    1 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 tbs flax seed oil

12:30PM (post workout)
    1 and 1/2 scoop musclemilk
    1 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 tbs flax seed oil

chicken breast filled broccolli
    2 slices turkey bacon

01:30PM
    3/4 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup mixed berries
    1oz. almonds

04:00PM
    1 zone bar

06:30PM
    2 small chicken ?
    4 slices turkey bacon

08:00PM
    1 hamburger patty
    2 slices turkey bacon

09:30PM
    1/2 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 tbs flax seed oil

10:30PM
    3/4 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup mixed berries
    1oz. almonds

3605 calories/ 188g fat/ 132g carb/ 329g protein

And in the past week, macros have been as following...
    3679 calories/171g fat/159g carbs/349g protein

3584 calories/ 183g fat/142g carbs/322g protein

3676 calories/ 183g fat/144g carbs/346g protein

3519 calories/ 161g fat/160g carbs/335g protein

3751 calories/ 194g fat/160g carbs/326g protein

02.11.07 (cheat day)
    3674 calories/ 159g fat/276g carbs/279g protein

3846 calories/ 207g fat/ 128g carbs/ 351g protein
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    JoshBme from bodyspace wrote a simple, but nice intro to gaining weight...dudes dont need to make anymore threads just read this post..

10sFHXFPlhqrf46JSE6opXRmWYriw1923p.jpeg

I get so many ?'s about gaining weight and I guess I am kind of dumb for not posting a blog dedicated to gaining mass since I wouldnt even be where I am at today if I didnt gain weight cuz I was 148-150lbs at 5'11...So here is some tips for people who want to bulk up...

Carbs, Calories, Protein, Fat.....Four parts of the diet that if shuffled around and "manipulated" right, will get you packing on some good, lean weight. First off, all you skinny folks need to understand like I did, fat will be gained and you will lose some of your current leaness, but who cares right? You want 18 inch arms, 45 inch chest, and traps like mountains right?! I loved it being 210lbs..I had power and looked powerful..DOnt get me wrong, the cuts are nice and all that, but looking like you can tear apart a car with your bare hands is cool (people like Pitbull know what thats abou, right Pitbull?....Hes a beast!)

Ok, Your first focus will be calories....You wont gain weight unless your body gets enough calories. All nutritional facts on the back of foods are based around a 2000 calorie a day diet. Thats the "basic" calorie consumption. Not for us skinny guys who have metabolisms like frickin bullets! WE NEED TO EAT! But eat clean....I always say no matter how small you are, try to consume atleast 2800-3000 calories a day...It might not happen, but TRY. Its smart to go through a regular day and count how many calories you eat now...You might be suprised how much you are NOT eating! I was. You need to eat 5-6 times a day to keep your metabolism up....and drink lots of water. Creatine and Whey Protein are the supplements I used with great success. A daily multivitamin is crucial too. You are basically doing a complete overhaul on your body and the way it functions..You are "shocking" it and forcing it to grow! Protein is very important, cuz you want muscle, not just fat...Aim for 1 gram per goal weight...If you want to weigh 200lbs, shoot for 200 grams. Try your best to hit your mark. Carbs are pretty easy. Stay away from simple carbs and sugary stuff. Comlex carbs like oats, wheat, bread, pasta, fruits and veggies...those are great! Dairy products too if you can. Fat should be reasonably low, but not too low. You need fat for energy for your new growing body. I would say depending on your age, weight, and height, maybe around 70-100 grams of fat a day is descent. ALWAYS EAT IN THE MORNING. This was a biggie for me, I hated breakfast, but I wouldnt hit my calorie mark w/o it plus it gets your body ready for the day. GET A LOT OF SLEEP!! Your body needs to recover and grow. Your body actually grows when you are not lifting weights...its rebuilding the tissues....So diet and sleep is crucial so it has all the tools it needs to build a brick **** house! *wink* Drink water too...its good for sending all those good nutrients to your muscles..and thats what you want. I will post a blog about training here in a few. Hope this helps!
  • Mastery
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'd start off at 3000. What has been your calorie intake while cutting? If you start off too high a lot of that will end up fat. Slowly increasing your calories is the trick. IMO when u aren't really advanced like us we should just go all out on our first and second bulks. Gain as much weight as possible and look at the damage later lol. But still try to limit the amount of fat accumulated. I thk this will be my second and last all out bulk where I just eat everything in sight. Fall 2012 I'm going to start "clean bulking" or just take my time and try to put on 1-2 pounds of quality mass each month.
    My caloric intake while I was cutting was around 1500. The reason I was going to start out at 3500 is because of the calories I would be burning by merely lifting weights at an intense level. Plus, I plan on doing 20 minutes of cardio 2 to 3 times a week as well :tu I said I'd try 3500 for a couple of weeks to see how my body would respond. You still think I should start at 3000, considering the calories I'd burn lifting weights, and the 2 to 3 cardio sessions per week?
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yall short ? have it easy lol. I need 3300 calories just to gain a pound a day. I tried to do a mini bulk because i been stuck at 320 DL and 220 squat and i got past it but it was hell. I think ima just cut bf for the summer and bulk during the winter so I won't feel so bloated and ?

20110616173645963.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • whatevathehell
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The Jackal wrote: »
    Yall short ? have it easy lol. I need 3300 calories just to gain a pound a day. I tried to do a mini bulk because i been stuck at 320 DL and 220 squat and i got past it but it was hell. I think ima just cut bf for the summer and bulk during the winter so I won't feel so bloated and ?

20110616173645963.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is kind of true...short dudes like myself do seem to put on muscle rather easily.
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    this is kind of true...short dudes like myself do seem to put on muscle rather easily.

Word but its no excuse you feel me you still have to work hard regardless short or tall
  • kAjUn
    edited June 2011
    Options

you can hit 190 easily by the end of this year....gain 2-3 pounds a month..easy. I'm taking a break from the gym myself and only doing calisthenics til I bulk. Do you work out your lower body?

Yea I do, my ex's mom is a gym rat and told me about one legged squats and that ? is a beast!

I figure if I eat enough and stay consistent I can reach my goal.

Just when the semester comes around I tend to slack off and get lazy.
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Mix your whey protein in a carton of Heavy whipping cream.....that skinny ass carton carries 3200 calories

Milk
    Heavy whipping cream
    and whey protein

a get big recipe
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My caloric intake while I was cutting was around 1500. The reason I was going to start out at 3500 is because of the calories I would be burning by merely lifting weights at an intense level. Plus, I plan on doing 20 minutes of cardio 2 to 3 times a week as well :tu I said I'd try 3500 for a couple of weeks to see how my body would respond. You still think I should start at 3000, considering the calories I'd burn lifting weights, and the 2 to 3 cardio sessions per week?

You won't be burning that many calories lifting. I'm saying you got time to eat playa lol. Bulking is a marathon, not a race. And you said you gain weight fairly easy. If u been eating 1500, increasing your cals by 2000 overnight might do more harm than good starting off. And I wouldn't even be doing cardio bro. If you MUST, I'd limit it to two 10 minute sessions after your workout for health reasons. When you cut did you drop your cals by a significant number or did you steadily decrease over the weeks?
  • Mastery
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You won't be burning that many calories lifting. I'm saying you got time to eat playa lol. Bulking is a marathon, not a race. And you said you gain weight fairly easy. If u been eating 1500, increasing your cals by 2000 overnight might do more harm than good starting off. And I wouldn't even be doing cardio bro. If you MUST, I'd limit it to two 10 minute sessions after your workout for health reasons. When you cut did you drop your cals by a significant number or did you steadily decrease over the weeks?
    The cardio IS for health reasons lol I'm not trying to be all big and bulky, yet get tired walking up a flight of stairs :td I need to keep my wind tight. I will start off at 3000 to see how my body responds, but as far as the cardio goes, any calories I burn from doing cardio, I was going to replace.

When I cut, I dropped straight to 1500, along with working out 5 times a week (some weights, but body weight exercises mostly, and lots of cardio).

Oh yeah, those clapping pull-ups by your boy (I forgot his name)... I knocked out 17 of those the other day non-stop :tu (my first time ever trying them)
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yall still eating 3k on your off days?
  • truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    Yall still eating 3k on your off days?

yup

• truth spitter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The cardio IS for health reasons lol I'm not trying to be all big and bulky, yet get tired walking up a flight of stairs :td I need to keep my wind tight. I will start off at 3000 to see how my body responds, but as far as the cardio goes, any calories I burn from doing cardio, I was going to replace.

When I cut, I dropped straight to 1500, along with working out 5 times a week (some weights, but body weight exercises mostly, and lots of cardio).

Oh yeah, those clapping pull-ups by your boy (I forgot his name)... I knocked out 17 of those the other day non-stop :tu (my first time ever trying them)

That's whats up...since I'm not lifting weights til August I'm gonna increase my pull-ups...2moro I'm gonna see how fast I can do 100...I'm a beast on chin-ups but have trouble with pull-ups
  • Mastery
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That's whats up...since I'm not lifting weights til August I'm gonna increase my pull-ups...2moro I'm gonna see how fast I can do 100...I'm a beast on chin-ups but have trouble with pull-ups
    Yeah, I currently do a push-pull workout monday, wednesday, and friday that consists of 10 pull-ups or chin-ups (alternating), followed by 15 push-ups (push up bars), and I go back and forth until I get to 100 pull-ups/chin-ups and 150 push-ups :tu I run 4 miles on tuesday and thursday :tu We're all beasts on chin-ups (palms facing you) but pull-ups (palms facing away from you) are naturally harder for everyone, which is why I switch it up :tu They both work the biceps and back but pull-ups target the back more, while chin-ups target the biceps more :tu
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I currently do a push-pull workout monday, wednesday, and friday that consists of 10 pull-ups or chin-ups (alternating), followed by 15 push-ups (push up bars), and I go back and forth until I get to 100 pull-ups/chin-ups and 150 push-ups :tu I run 4 miles on tuesday and thursday :tu We're all beasts on chin-ups (palms facing you) but pull-ups (palms facing away from you) are naturally harder for everyone, which is why I switch it up :tu They both work the biceps and back but pull-ups target the back more, while chin-ups target the biceps more :tu

Hmm, I doing a similar routine to yours. I do my routines early in the morning. Instead of regular pushups though I do three sets of diamond push ups 50 each. follow by spider push ups. and I also apply amplified creatine in my system. What does it increases upper body and muscular absorption. As well I do 30 laps only Friday(early in the morning as well) Friday is mostly cardio workout and other day's is mostly only 7 lap with the other routines.

1495ovq.jpg

makes your body real warm and you will start sweating.
  • whatevathehell
    edited June 2011
    Options
    not really sure what the hell yall talking bout..never been too technical with this stuff...but here are some beginning pics of me..most @ the greenway(park)since there where I get my run in

2011-06-18080221.jpg just want to make my abs more defined an2011-06-18080317.jpgd my chest and arms a lil bigger

2011-06-15075021.jpgother than that im not trying to get2011-06-15080853.jpg too big
  • kAjUn
    edited June 2011
    Options

This is Timberwolfs diet back in 07 when he experimented with clean bulking. He's known to cut ? .

Since I decided to try to bring my weight up to 195lbs in the next 6 months I've been slowly increasing my calorie intake. While I'm not eating super clean...its actually alot 'cleaner' than what I would follow on a hypocaloric "cutting" intake. It does seem counter intuitive to diet "? " and bulk "clean" but from a health profile perspective I think it would make sense.

This is a typical day:

09:00AM
    1 scoop musclemilk
    1 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 tbs flax seed oil

12:30PM (post workout)
    1 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 tbs flax seed oil

chicken breast filled broccolli
    2 slices turkey bacon

01:30PM
    3/4 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup mixed berries
    1oz. almonds

04:00PM
    1 zone bar

06:30PM
    2 small chicken ?
    4 slices turkey bacon

08:00PM
    1 hamburger patty
    2 slices turkey bacon

09:30PM
    1/2 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 tbs flax seed oil

10:30PM
    3/4 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup mixed berries
    1oz. almonds

3605 calories/ 188g fat/ 132g carb/ 329g protein

And in the past week, macros have been as following...
    3679 calories/171g fat/159g carbs/349g protein

3584 calories/ 183g fat/142g carbs/322g protein

3676 calories/ 183g fat/144g carbs/346g protein

3519 calories/ 161g fat/160g carbs/335g protein

3751 calories/ 194g fat/160g carbs/326g protein

02.11.07 (cheat day)
    3674 calories/ 159g fat/276g carbs/279g protein

3846 calories/ 207g fat/ 128g carbs/ 351g protein

That is a lot of eating...........what's the heaviest you've ever been?