[DROPPED!] Kendrick Lamar Section 80 - Album of the Year, Thus Far?

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    This is the only album that I'm playing, period.

Check out Kendrick Lamar discussing a variety of issues in this great video, lol @ dude in the front row at the end knowing every line!!

Kendrick's the most exciting artist in my books and has been to me since I discovered him following his self-titled EP.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^^^ same this has been getting heavy heavy play from me dude is so dope
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    ^^^ same this has been getting heavy heavy play from me dude is so dope

It's officially my favourite from him now, I've played it more than his self-titled EP. Never thought I'd say that, great emcee doing his own thing, it's good to see and great for rap music.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Pharrell Williams in the studio with Kendrick Lamar discussing Section 80…
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote:

^^ That's real right there other artists liking other artists music honesty alot of cats front when they know a dudes music is garbage but you can tell its all love when pharrel told him he liked his music.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    still bumpin this heavy too
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ^^ That's real right there other artists liking other artists music honesty alot of cats front when they know a dudes music is garbage but you can tell its all love when pharrel told him he liked his music.

Yeah, you can tell he loves the project, listening to it in Tokyo, SMH @ Pharrell, he must have such a great life :lol: I wasn't feeling 'Rigamortus' as much as Pharrell though, who thought that was one of the best tracks on this release???

Anyway, this is the release of the year still, IMO. Can't wait for my signed copy to arrive.
    still bumpin this heavy too

Same, big ? poppin' lol
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nice how much is the signed copy?

My favorite tracks - ? Your Ethnicity, Keisha's Song, A.D.H.D

Rigamortus is cool i wasn't feeling it as much as him also but good track..
  • truth spitter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Rigamortus grew on me. First few listens I wasn't ? with it but now I find myself replaying it over and over. His flow was just bananas on it.

Favorite tracks - Hol Up, ADHD, Blow My High, Spiteful Chant
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nice how much is the signed copy?

My favorite tracks - ? Your Ethnicity, Keisha's Song, A.D.H.D

Rigamortus is cool i wasn't feeling it as much as him also but good track..

$15.

ADHD is my favourite probably alongside Keisha's Song…

The whole album is incredible though… and co-sign, I just couldn't get past the beat…. regardless of his flow on that song. I'm a fan of Jazz but it just didn't fit my tastes.
    Rigamortus grew on me. First few listens I wasn't ? with it but now I find myself replaying it over and over. His flow was just bananas on it.

Favorite tracks - Hol Up, ADHD, Blow My High, Spiteful Chant

Blow My High's beat is nice, where is that beginning hook from? 'I Can't ? Wit' Ya'll'? Been bugging me for a while now…

The Spiteful Chant has an epic beat.

ADHD is probably the best track on the whole tape though.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The Well Versed just dropped a review:
    Compton emcee, Kendrick Lamar, had been fighting the good fight on the mixtape scene for a while, but it wasn’t until he got an unofficial endorsement from Dr. Dre on Big Boy’s radio show in L.A., that the rest of the industry began to take notice. From there, Lamar’s career would be built upon more than just critical acclaim, adding work on Dre’s Detox to his resume, as well as nabbing a spot on XXL‘s Freshman ’11 list. Section:80 is the “aftermath” of the events of the last six months.

But Kendrick’s imminent celebrity has not distracted him from his craft, as Section:80 is an incredibly focused, heavy release. Comparable to albums like Outkast’s ATLiens, early releases from 2Pac, and more recently Drake’s Thank Me Later, the tone of the album is super mellowed out, with weighty backdrops for Kendrick’s words. Unapologetically Compton, Kendrick is the antithesis of The Game, less concerned with name-dropping, more concerned with providing an accurate, honest representation of growing up in the hood, something that’s been missing from hip-hop for years.

Fixated on the sociopolitical aspects of life in Compton during the 80′s, Kendrick is a product of his environment, with songs like “A.D.H.D.”, “Ab-Souls Outro”, and “Ronald Reagan Era” exploring the effect the ? era had on his generation. There’s a series of conflicting emotions here; the youthful “I-don’t-give-a-? ” attitude and the more grounded, conscious aspects of his personality, both which manifest themselves equally throughout the album.

Kendrick has a certain sensitivity to women, with many of his song’s providing Jungian explanations for their behaviors. “No Make Up” (feat. Colin Munroe) may at first appear as a seductive song for the females, but as it progresses, Kendrick zeroes in the reasons behind women’s obsessions with beauty. The same can be said for the somewhat disturbing “Tammy’s Song (Her Evils)”, and the perfectly executed “Keisha’s Song”, a heartfelt look at the mindstate of the average prostitute. Sh*t is deep.

But Lamar doesn’t reserve himself to being a “conscious rapper”, he’s actually more “stream-of-consciousness”, letting his mind bounce from one topic to another. Tracks like “Hol’ Up” and “Rigamortus” find him simply exercising numerous styles from his arsenal, despite any ? or hoes that mind get in the way of his mind-spray. Other times we catch some clear influence from Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (as discovered by his hometown hero, Eazy E) on songs like “The Spiteful Chant”, with a spotlight verse from Schoolboy Q.

It should also be noted that much of the success of this LP is owed to the production of Soundwave and THC, who handle the majority of the album’s heavy beats. But perhaps the best beat on the whole thing is owed to J. Cole, with his hypnotic sample on the project’s first single, “Hiiipower”.

There’s no explanation or reasoning behind Kendrick’s duality, other than he’s human. As on “Ab-Soul’s Outro”, he puts it best, “So the next time I talk about money, hoes, clothes, ? , and history in the same sentence/ just know I meant it, and you felt it / cause you too are searching for answers / I’m not the next pop star / I’m not the next socially aware rapper / I’m a human ? being, over dope ass instrumentation… Kendrick Lamar.” – DJ Pizzo
    4.5 out of 5

Good review, picked up on all the influences well and definitely a nice score, I'd probably rate it as 4/5 - 4.5/5 too.
  • truth spitter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The hook on Blow My High is ? C's verse on Jay-Z's Big Pimpin
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The hook on Blow My High is ? C's verse on Jay-Z's Big Pimpin

That's it!!! Props :tu

Funny how such an obvious track can slip your mind when you get frustrated.
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited July 2011
    Options
    good mixture that could've been an album. I'm looking forward to him and J. Coles music.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    good mixture that could've been an album. I'm looking forward to him and J. Coles music.

As an album or as an EP, it's the best release of this year I think to a lot of people on the Net… I think it's definitely going to be a contender for release of the year…

Him and Cole could be a great duo, but I'd more so like Cole on the boards and Kendrick on the mic with Cole on a few tracks… that's just me…. but Cole's production is definitely going to be a part of the movement that we should see developing…

Kinda makes me wish I had enough money to start a label, I would definitely put together a nice list of artists and create a movement…

Anyone read that interview over at HipHopDX about Rawkus and how they developed a movement? It's the same as Apple's, very personable… I think companies fail to notice these things… if you can connect with a customer, you're off to a flier.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
  • Ishi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lmao "Watch the ? damn road"
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Lmao "Watch the ? damn road"

hahaha his moves are TV worthy…
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    As an album or as an EP, it's the best release of this year I think to a lot of people on the Net… I think it's definitely going to be a contender for release of the year…

Him and Cole could be a great duo, but I'd more so like Cole on the boards and Kendrick on the mic with Cole on a few tracks… that's just me…. but Cole's production is definitely going to be a part of the movement that we should see developing…

Kinda makes me wish I had enough money to start a label, I would definitely put together a nice list of artists and create a movement…

Anyone read that interview over at HipHopDX about Rawkus and how they developed a movement? It's the same as Apple's, very personable… I think companies fail to notice these things… if you can connect with a customer, you're off to a flier.

Oh yeah I listen to Section 80 every damn day since its release. I just wish the guy got more attention for this project. I will admit when I first listened to Kendrick i couldn't get over his lisp but now I barely hear it and he is by far better than Cole lyrically. One of the reasons I love this site is because of how I am always learning about new guys and girls from trolling. LOL. I've been trolling allhiphop.com since the old IC and I just started posting after all these years. But I would've never knew about Kendrick or Big K.R.I.T. if it wasn't for this site. Him and Cole have a great connection and I loved Temptations because they both talked about the same stuff but from different points of view.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Oh yeah I listen to Section 80 every damn day since its release. I just wish the guy got more attention for this project. I will admit when I first listened to Kendrick i couldn't get over his lisp but now I barely hear it and he is by far better than Cole lyrically. One of the reasons I love this site is because of how I am always learning about new guys and girls from trolling. LOL. I've been trolling allhiphop.com since the old IC and I just started posting after all these years. But I would've never knew about Kendrick or Big K.R.I.T. if it wasn't for this site. Him and Cole have a great connection and I loved Temptations because they both talked about the same stuff but from different points of view.

Hahaha it's cool, it's always a better experience once you start posting, it's sometimes having that kick to do so, I did the same back in 2003, but signed up at the start of 2004, the reason I never started posting was because everyone was so knowledgeable back then, I just listened and watched for hours… it's a shame we can't rewind and see the forum as it was then, we forget that this right now is history on a page, if you look up the old Yahoo hip hop boards, that's crazy because there's posts there ranging from 1994. We should always preserve the forums and I hope allhiphop have all the threads in a vault somewhere for that reason…

But yeah, it's great to discover artists on here, especially in The Essence where we really discover the fresh new talents….

Section 80 is a great release though, agreed. I think it'll be an album that people will dwell on in the same way that they dwell upon Independent releases such as Fashawn's Boy Meets World, only this has more crossover appeal, I think this will definitely be heard and the Hiii Power Movement is real, as Kendrick posted today on his Twitter lol.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    My friend has a blog he does and he had it printed out into a book. It would be cool if they could do that for forums like this one to preserve. Print a book every year. Anyway I dig Kendrick. His music has meaning behind it and that's the stuff I like to listen to.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Madbeats wrote: »
    My friend has a blog he does and he had it printed out into a book. It would be cool if they could do that for forums like this one to preserve. Print a book every year. Anyway I dig Kendrick. His music has meaning behind it and that's the stuff I like to listen to.

That would be cool, but so much of it is interactive with YouTube's that it'd need to be an interactive app, more so than a book… but would be cool nonetheless, good idea :tu

Definitely agree with your comments about Lamar too.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    New interview:

'Gonna stick in the streets, 'gonna stick in your soul'.

Good interview, I think Section 80 may just stand the test of time; it's still album of the year to me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
  • slur
    slur Members Posts: 10
    edited December 2011
    Options