Herman Cain doesn't want to be called "African American" anymore

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Social Lounge
(ThyBlackMan.com) Republican Presidential Candidate Herman Cain has announced that he doesn’t appreciate the idea of being labeled an “African American.” During an interview with Bloomberg, Cain said that he prefers to be called an “American,” stating that the word “African” on the front of his racial identity limits him and inaccurately describes who he is.

“I don’t like people trying to label me. African-American is socially acceptable for some people, but I am not some people,” Cain said.

Some have agreed with Cain, stating that there is little reason for most black people to feel any connection to the continent of Africa. Gerren Gaynor, a writer for NewsOne.com, is one of those who at least partially supported Cain’s remarks.

“African-Americans/Blacks/Negroes have no true sense of identity,” Gaynor wrote. “If you’re African-American, you’re more than likely far removed from the African continent and culture.”

“Cain couldn’t be more right. Identity is quite arbitrary, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with omitting “African” from our nationality,” Gaynor stated.

Cord Jefferson, an analyst with BET, took issue with Cain’s remarks, referring to his remarks as simply “dumb.”
“Believing that it is somehow inaccurate or unpatriotic for a person to call himself an ‘African-American’ rather than just an ‘American’ is absurd, and this is a question that needs to be put to rest,” Jefferson wrote.

Herman Cain’s remarks about the pitfalls of being called an “African American” remind us of the kind of assimilation expected by those who somehow feel that blackness is a liability. The truth is that our dark skin is reflective of our African roots, and not knowing anything about Africa is no excuse to deny ourselves access to thousands of years of storied and valuable culture. White Supremacy 101 tells us that we can be successful in spite of being black, rather than finding success because we are black.

For some reason, Cain seems to think that by connecting himself with those who enslaved his forefathers, he is somehow attached to the heritage of his blue eyed brothers and sisters. But the reality is that when he denies his genealogical roots, he is disrespecting those who carried the blood that runs through his veins. Personally, I’d be ashamed to have a great grandchild who decided to negate my connection to him simply because he knows nothing of his history. Instead, I would expect him to do the research necessary to learn where he comes from, rather than pretending that he came from someplace else.

When I wrote a column on Your Black World regarding how Herman Cain’s politics might be identifiable to many African Americans who falsely believe that they are liberal, his supporters seemed to think (as communicated in emails I received from one of his representatives) that I was open to the idea of endorsing him.

Let’s be clear: I don’t endorse Herman Cain and I think he’s dangerous for America. There is nothing wrong with being an African American, and by resorting to such shenanigans to appease his Tea Party base, Cain continues to reduce himself to a political cartoon character. He should be smarter than that and run his campaign with a bit more dignity – there is little pride in pretending to be someone else.

Staff Writer; Dr. Boyce Watkins

Comments

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That's understandable but, either way, 'African-American' is not synonymous with 'Black'. Race and ethnicity are two separate concepts.
  • Mackandal1804
    Mackandal1804 Members Posts: 38
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I would expect nothing less from this ''obama-lite gop edition'' wannabe ass punk. I think he'll probably be the first black candidate to get in trouble for saying some outwardly racist ? towards AA's.... and that will get him a vp spot
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I would expect nothing less from this ''obama-lite gop edition'' wannabe ass punk. I think he'll probably be the first black candidate to get in trouble for saying some outwardly racist ? towards AA's.... and that will get him a vp spot

• b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    kissin white ass for acceptance... smh
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cain is a goofball at best... but personally I think African American is a stupid term and that American blacks should abandon it.
  • INFAREDSHAWTY
    INFAREDSHAWTY Members Posts: 397
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i'm with cain on this one. i'd much rather be called an american than african-american. black or american sits fine with me, but african-american just sounds too contrived.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    this guy's pizza SUCKS from what Im told
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Good. Just lose the American also.

You don't get your identity from a land mass. So if he feels strongly then he should lose the American also.

There is no common identity or ethnicity among most people who live in America anyway.
  • INFAREDSHAWTY
    edited June 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    There is no common identity or ethnicity among most people who live in America anyway.

land of the free? home of the brave?
  • NJBeliever
    NJBeliever Members Posts: 10
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    (ThyBlackMan.com) Republican Presidential Candidate Herman Cain has announced that he doesn’t appreciate the idea of being labeled an “African American.” During an interview with Bloomberg, Cain said that he prefers to be called an “American,” stating that the word “African” on the front of his racial identity limits him and inaccurately describes who he is.

“I don’t like people trying to label me. African-American is socially acceptable for some people, but I am not some people,” Cain said.

Some have agreed with Cain, stating that there is little reason for most black people to feel any connection to the continent of Africa. Gerren Gaynor, a writer for NewsOne.com, is one of those who at least partially supported Cain’s remarks.

“African-Americans/Blacks/Negroes have no true sense of identity,” Gaynor wrote. “If you’re African-American, you’re more than likely far removed from the African continent and culture.”

“Cain couldn’t be more right. Identity is quite arbitrary, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with omitting “African” from our nationality,” Gaynor stated.

Cord Jefferson, an analyst with BET, took issue with Cain’s remarks, referring to his remarks as simply “dumb.”
    “Believing that it is somehow inaccurate or unpatriotic for a person to call himself an ‘African-American’ rather than just an ‘American’ is absurd, and this is a question that needs to be put to rest,” Jefferson wrote.

Herman Cain’s remarks about the pitfalls of being called an “African American” remind us of the kind of assimilation expected by those who somehow feel that blackness is a liability. The truth is that our dark skin is reflective of our African roots, and not knowing anything about Africa is no excuse to deny ourselves access to thousands of years of storied and valuable culture. White Supremacy 101 tells us that we can be successful in spite of being black, rather than finding success because we are black.

For some reason, Cain seems to think that by connecting himself with those who enslaved his forefathers, he is somehow attached to the heritage of his blue eyed brothers and sisters. But the reality is that when he denies his genealogical roots, he is disrespecting those who carried the blood that runs through his veins. Personally, I’d be ashamed to have a great grandchild who decided to negate my connection to him simply because he knows nothing of his history. Instead, I would expect him to do the research necessary to learn where he comes from, rather than pretending that he came from someplace else.

When I wrote a column on Your Black World regarding how Herman Cain’s politics might be identifiable to many African Americans who falsely believe that they are liberal, his supporters seemed to think (as communicated in emails I received from one of his representatives) that I was open to the idea of endorsing him.

Let’s be clear: I don’t endorse Herman Cain and I think he’s dangerous for America. There is nothing wrong with being an African American, and by resorting to such shenanigans to appease his Tea Party base, Cain continues to reduce himself to a political cartoon character. He should be smarter than that and run his campaign with a bit more dignity – there is little pride in pretending to be someone else.

Staff Writer; Dr. Boyce Watkins

Who really cares at this point? What has the Great Black President done for Black folk since he's been in office??? Can someone tell me? Obama comes out the gate pushing the most pro-abortion agenda of any President in history even though abortion has been used as a tool for BLACK GENOCIDE since WWII days. WHen Prof. Gates got arrested up at Harvard on some real nonsense, he criticized the cop and then BACKED down once he took some heat. This for a dude in his 60s being arrested at the front door of his home.

So at the end of the day, what does it matter? Obama is on the corporate globalist agenda and Cain was a Federal Reserve banker. They're from the exact same camp!
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Im with him on that
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited June 2011
    Options
    What do you call a man who is "just another ? that hasn't been reminded" yet?

Its people like this that I wish experience the real racism this world can offer. They need a reality check in a bad way!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jesse lee Peterson ass ? ....

I hope he gets a wake up call

I dont trust ? name Herman
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    NJBeliever wrote: »
    Who really cares at this point? What has the Great Black President done for Black folk since he's been in office??? Can someone tell me? Obama comes out the gate pushing the most pro-abortion agenda of any President in history even though abortion has been used as a tool for BLACK GENOCIDE since WWII days. WHen Prof. Gates got arrested up at Harvard on some real nonsense, he criticized the cop and then BACKED down once he took some heat. This for a dude in his 60s being arrested at the front door of his home.

So at the end of the day, what does it matter? Obama is on the corporate globalist agenda and Cain was a Federal Reserve banker. They're from the exact same camp!

The spirit of molech is in the land and our sins have reached up to heaven. Our cup of iniquity has reached the full and when it spills over judgment will come. And that judgment will only take 1 hour. He who has ears to hear let him hear...................
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jesse lee Peterson ass ? ....

I hope he gets a wake up call

I dont trust ? name Herman

lol real talk

herman cain: "...in conclusion, that is why i think im the best candidate for president in 2012."

me: "FOH ? . yo name herman..."
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i'm with cain on this one. i'd much rather be called an american than african-american. black or american sits fine with me, but african-american just sounds too contrived.

how about black american? when we talk about white people we dont call them german americans, irish americans, norweigan americans, etc... we call them white americans or caucasian american.
  • INFAREDSHAWTY
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i was always under the impression that white americans were simply referred to as "american". i want that same treatment. to put another word before american just dillutes the term altogether, especially when us blacks were born citizens and can trace our american roots hella years back. i like black. i like american. black american and african american just never sat well with me. forget all that extra ? u feel me
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

• bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    how about black american? when we talk about white people we dont call them german americans, irish americans, norweigan americans, etc... we call them white americans or caucasian american.

Actually they call theirselves German, Norweigan, and Russian without even adding American to the end. We call them white cuz we're to lazy to distinguish the difference. Its just like how blacks call all Asians chinese.

I can agree wit the Black american label but this Clown wanna be so far up the Tea Party's ass that wouldnt even be good enough he just wants to be labeled American. Everybody try in forget about the African blood running thru their veins until they get into some trouble and White America turns on their ass.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited June 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Good. Just lose the American also.

You don't get your identity from a land mass. So if he feels strongly then he should lose the American also.

I'd go a step furthur....just cause your from the USA doesn't make you "American." These are the America's...so to use America as your identity marker would be to include canadians, mexicans, central americans and south americans.

Lets go Hermain Cain! I ain't know you were down integration! Viva la cain
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bmoreeast wrote: »
    Actually they call theirselves German, Norweigan, and Russian without even adding American to the end. We call them white cuz we're to lazy to distinguish the difference. Its just like how blacks call all Asians chinese.

I can agree wit the Black american label but this Clown wanna be so far up the Tea Party's ass that wouldnt even be good enough he just wants to be labeled American. Everybody try in forget about the African blood running thru their veins until they get into some trouble and White America turns on their ass.

this post is 100% approved
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    smh they went to a ? analyst at BET for a response?

Would they have gone to LIFETIME Channel for a response to a woman's issue? No they'd go to a ? respected socialogist or geneologist or historian or some ? .

Anyway, good response none-the-less. It does kinda boil down to, "I dont know ? about Africa so I dont think I have a connection." May not be as much of a connection there but the connection is still there. But I have no problem with blacks not saying African-American. I just prefer Black. Cuz I dont really feel like this country wants me here or even that I'd want to be here myself if I were able to travel the world and decide where I wanted to live on my own.

I think many people would hop off the "America's the greatest country in the world" bandwagon if they actually got off the couch and lived other places for even a few weeks.

I dont know for sure but thats my theory.
  • showkase2
    showkase2 Members Posts: 66
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Imagine that ? . smh.
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I prefer to call myself Black. Or Black American. I never refer to myself as African-American.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    SMART POLITICAL MOVE ON HIS PART, considering that he won't get the black/African American vote anyway because of his party.

Things just got interesting. The word American is rooted in the real name for Morocco (Amerruk) in Africa anyway. We been over here.

PS

I consider myself and my people in this country as African American for political reasons, black American in casual context and Moorish for cultural reasons. Hebrew & Shabazz even applies if you look at it historically.