YEP I DID IT !! Locs/dreadloc appreciation THREAD!!!

Options

Comments

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol this ? said 'iron'

if I don't wrap my head @ night (II) my ? look like that

depends on how u sleep
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamel at some point ur locs are gonna get a growthspurt outta nowhere

Recipe ur locs lookin clean, lets see if you maintain them tho
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I started my locs back in the end of Septmber, had them retwisted twice since (once at the end of October & once at the end of November)

I'm thinkin of getting them retwisted one more time so they'll be at the length I want past my neck. Anyways anyone got tips for the itch? I've used that no itch jamaican spray that smells like mango-lime. And I've used organic dry shampoo in the mean time. But my head still itches, any tips? :(
  • TrueraPP
    TrueraPP Members Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I started my locs back in the end of Septmber, had them retwisted twice since (once at the end of October & once at the end of November)

I'm thinkin of getting them retwisted one more time so they'll be at the length I want past my neck. Anyways anyone got tips for the itch? I've used that no itch jamaican spray that smells like mango-lime. And I've used organic dry shampoo in the mean time. But my head still itches, any tips? :(

Yo son all i can tell you hold out.

I had to by the itch spray also.

But by the 5th or 6th month your hair won't itch anymore.

Had mine for almost 3 years now and idk when the last time my hair itchy.

• SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodyfier (anti-itch version).

May I also suggest Jamaican Black Castor Oil? I've used the plain variety and have recently picked up the kind with rosemary infused. There are many types. You can purchase online/in store or learn how to steep your own.

An intensely itchy scalp is due to dryness and is an indicator that the oil your scalp naturally produces needs to be supplemented. Oil seals in moisture such as water or other leave ins...so make sure you're moisturizing, but don't use anything unsuitable for new/baby locs.

Lastly, massage your scalp for 3-5mins before bed. This increases circulation to the scalp and, in short, "nourishes" it.

Hope this helps.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    TrueraPP wrote: »

Yo son all i can tell you hold out.

I had to by the itch spray also.

But by the 5th or 6th month your hair won't itch anymore.

Had mine for almost 3 years now and idk when the last time my hair itchy.

The woman doing my dreads told me about the same time length. It hasnt been 6 months yet so i'm hoping by next month or March it stops. This ? dreadful breh especially when I have a hat on. Always itch in the same spot too right in the middle.

Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodyfier (anti-itch version).

May I also suggest Jamaican Black Castor Oil? I've used the plain variety and have recently picked up the kind with rosemary infused. There are many types. You can purchase online/in store or learn how to steep your own.

An intensely itchy scalp is due to dryness and is an indicator that the oil your scalp naturally produces needs to be supplemented. Oil seals in moisture such as water or other leave ins...so make sure you're moisturizing, but don't use anything unsuitable for new/baby locs.

Lastly, massage your scalp for 3-5mins before bed. This increases circulation to the scalp and, in short, "nourishes" it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot! I'm going to check some stores for the oil, I never knew about the massaging my scalp thing. I did hear someone mention it needs circulation. At this point i'm willing to try anything!
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just wash ur hair you ? bastard
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options

Haha I wasnt told I could wash my hair yet. I've been limited to dry shampoo
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @SnuffDaddy those braids are called layers, ? has 2 layers ( My BM does alot of heads in that style), the effect is called bed head. He didnt tie his hair while he slept, sleeping on loose braids or even baby dreads and most other hair style and types will cause that look. No iron needed. ? and ODB just got out the bed and carried on their day without laying their hair down. I dont think doo rags (which people use today to keep their hair in place while sleeping) were really popular during this time. This is the closet variation of the style they rocked (I believe ODB only had 1 layer and the back of his head was shaved)
    ubts1.jpg167mrm0.jpg
    2hdmb8m.jpg
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haha I wasnt told I could wash my hair yet. I've been limited to dry shampoo
    Put on a stocking cap and wash it, the cap will keep them from unraveling during the wash.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Jamel at some point ur locs are gonna get a growthspurt outta nowhere

Recipe ur locs lookin clean, lets see if you maintain them tho

Dont really have a desire to have them looking that clean. Those were some fresh comb coils. I took my OG's down and got them totally retwisted a few days b4 that pic, essentially my starter locs thats why they were so neat. Very high maintenance to keep up that appearance, I aint got time for that.

This is how my ish is sitting currently

t69ttz.jpg
  • The Recipe
    edited January 2014
    Options
    This ? a fruit ball but very knowledgeable about dreads and has tons of videos that cover anything you want to know about starting and maintaining healthy dreads. I watched a bunch of his vids and some other lock journey's before I locked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwx9HTyPV8

Her Lock Journey was pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-R6smzykpw

• IceBergTaylor
    Options
    I had youtubed that video wit the dude & the stocking cap before you added it. What shampoo would you recommend?
  • The Recipe
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I had youtubed that video wit the dude & the stocking cap before you added it. What shampoo would you recommend?

Fa show, youtube is a valuable source. I use Cream of Nature, the one I have has conditioner in a it (which is a no no) and its a detangler ( which is not what you want to use because you want your hair to tangle while dreading), but my sister grabbed it for me so I decided to use it till its gone, I got it from Sally's BTW:

25g8jec.jpg

They have regular Its like 6 bucks and good quality, been using it for a year now leaves my hair looking healthy and moisturized. Try to stay away from suave that ? strips your hair down. I dont use conditioner which I probably should.

Regular Kind

2vl4ok9.jpg

@10:20 he talks about shampoo, I recommenced watching a little more of the video, he goes through the isles and points out the good and bad products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUqxiUKZaw
  • Chi Snow
    Options
    Haven't shampoo'd my hair in about 4 months
    don't trust none of that ? no more.

Last time I soaked my hair was @ the end of the year. Scrubbed the new growth with warm water, towel dried it, and got it retwisted.
  • The Recipe
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »

Last time I soaked my hair was @ the end of the year. Scrubbed the new growth with warm water, towel dried it, and got it retwisted.

You are good to wash your hair bro, your ? has started to lock. Washing your hair does no damage to dreads, in some cases it slows down the locking process but the trade off is a clean healthy scalp and hair. Just dont go to crazy with the scrubbing.
  • Chi Snow
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

You are good to wash your hair bro, your ? has started to lock. Washing your hair does no damage to dreads, in some cases it slows down the locking process but the trade off is a clean healthy scalp and hair. Just dont go to crazy with the scrubbing.

Nah slime, I got scrub the scalp.
    Maybe it's just a deep massage but I noticed that the when I go to get them touched up after the wash, the new growth reacts better

I don't know, I'm a habit person so once i do something and I think it works, I stay with it
  • The Recipe
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

Nah slime, I got scrub the scalp.
    Maybe it's just a deep massage but I noticed that the when I go to get them touched up after the wash, the new growth reacts better

I don't know, I'm a habit person so once i do something and I think it works, I stay with it

If it aint broke dont fix it.
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Good drop on the video wit dude walkin through the aisles. Ima try that shampoo you suggested this weekend.
  • Chi Snow
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    r04268.jpg
    Asian with dreads or nah?
  • The Recipe
    Options
    ? happens wrote: »
    r04268.jpg

How much growth is this? 5 years?
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes Lawd!!!!!! @shithappens!!

They look like mine.

Mine is half way down my back
  • MzKB
    Options
    An excellent line of product for those with beginner and mature locks is Barry Fletcher.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/barryfletcherproductsinc/catalog/category/5066854

thumbnail.ashx?src=%2fcontent%2f174033%2floc_16.JPG&size=250

The Loc set serum by far has been the best twisting product I have ever used. Your retwist will last up to 3 weeks longer than your normal over the counter hair product.

The product is a serum which is a lot thicker than your regular product. His shampoos and conditioners are good as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i need some ideas on how to keep this ? out my face. ? hits me in the eyes when i work out.

i found that the underarmor sleeve idea causes frizz...

Stretchy head band:

scunci-4pk-thin-elastic-headbands-350x350.jpg
  • MzKB
    Options
    those work great until they loose their elasticity.
    when I work out I use a silk bandana and fold it over length wise to get the width as narrow as possible and tie it tight in the back.

just like that but narrower

purple_headband.jpg