Erykah Badu: New Amerykah Pt: 2 ‘Return of the Ankh’ Thread

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Album officially drops today, whose coppin? Drop your thoughts on it here.

Previews of every song on up on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/New-Amerykah-Part-Two-Return/dp/B003597ORA

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Just finished listening to it.. I like 20ft tall, Window Seat,Fall in Love/Incense.. ? that You loving me skit was better than most of the tracks and that ? was 1 minute i felt i needed an instruction booklet to understand ... Idk that ? wasn't doin it for me. Im tempted to delete the other damn songs...Dammit..
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It cures insomnia, boring and repetitive lyrics and beats....
  • duckmanpig
    duckmanpig Members Posts: 428
    edited March 2010
    Options
    from how you reviewed it sounds disappointing as pt1 was awsome i mi ght get it later in da week
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Was listening to it earlier. Kinda just drifted over my head, a bit forgettable really. I need to give it another listen tomorrow
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm a little underwhelmed too

but I've only listened to it once

I feel like a couple of the tracks are growers
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Out My Mind, Just in Time is probably the best song on there to me......
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2010
    Options
    t. webb wrote: »
    Out My Mind, Just in Time is probably the best song on there to me......

That seems like 4 different damn songs.. first 3 minute or so could be a song by itself.. its was like she wa out of time.. and mashed that last track together..
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I just bought it at Target along with Wu-Massacre and Raymond vs. Raymond.. listening now. on track 2.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2010
    Options
    and what happened to the 5 different versions of Jump Up in the Air... ? itunes bonus tracks?
  • REAL_POETICAL
    REAL_POETICAL Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    its driving at night music...thats the vibe i'm getting so far from this album...20 feet tall, window seat, and turn me away are the songs i'm trying to avoid repeating so i can get a feel of the album...its better than her pt:1 album which imo was meh
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ? what yall talking bout, this ? is raw. And I can already tell when I light the bud the ? is really really gon be it.
  • buttuh_b
    edited March 2010
    Options
    its driving at night music...thats the vibe i'm getting so far from this album...20 feet tall, window seat, and turn me away are the songs i'm trying to avoid repeating so i can get a feel of the album...its better than her pt:1 album which imo was meh

Wow. Pt. 1 was funky. Maybe I'm just a stan.. IDK. But it definitely has a different vibe.
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm very disappointed in the album because Pt 1 was the ? . Kinda glad I got the leak. Its seems like there are 4 or 5 songs on this album and the rest are fillers. It just doesn't flow. That song with the Eddie Kendricks sample hurt my feelings. The album just isn't fresh and seems like one long jam session with those 1 minute "songs".
  • REAL_POETICAL
    REAL_POETICAL Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Wow. Pt. 1 was funky. Maybe I'm just a stan.. IDK. But it definitely has a different vibe.

i guess i didn't get that laid back badu vibe from her on that album...it felt boring imo....i'ma sucka for neo soulish type of melodies...which is why i'm enjoying pt 2
  • t. webb
    t. webb Members Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    and what happened to the 5 different versions of Jump Up in the Air... ? itunes bonus tracks?

This....I was looking forward to hearing all the artist she listed spit on that....
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    It cures insomnia, boring and repetitive lyrics and beats....

Hate to say it, but this was my first impression as well. Theres potential for growing though. I wasn't feelin pat 1 on first listen too much either.
  • wilijamesme2
    wilijamesme2 Members Posts: 152
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This album is fiya. I keep Umm Hmm on repeat.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dang. i actually liked it

fav's right now are ummm hmmm, gone baby dont be long, fall in love and turn me away.
  • illnanapapa
    illnanapapa Members Posts: 9
    edited April 2010
    Options

This my favorite track off the album. Man, i see why she re release didnt do to well the first time but i bought it again and its with different track.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    After "New Amerykah pt.1" I expected another psychadelic mix of soul, hip hop, some strange sounds and politically conscious lyrics. This album is completely different to predecessor, but not less satisfying. Badu took it straight to "Baduism" days. It's smooth & mellow mix of soul and jazz best for bumping during late evenings. It's less challengeable than pt.1 , but she did a good job.
  • wilijamesme2
    wilijamesme2 Members Posts: 152
    edited April 2010
    Options

This my favorite track off the album. Man, i see why she re release didnt do to well the first time but i bought it again and its with different track.

You know we talking about Part 2 right? Honey is my Favorite from part 1, but lets focus on this album (assuming that you did listen to the album).
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Bout to give it another listen right now.. see if my assessment changes
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Window Seat def. grew on me bigtime. The type of song you have to let it grab you rather than trying to like it from the start. You can think about nothing and let the song go on, that's when you can appreciate it more. Like, when you're tired after coming back from work and just want to chill with some music in the background.
  • femalemc1
    femalemc1 Members Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ok...can anyone post it?
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, at first the album was forgettable for me. Shoot, Part 1 was the exact same way IMO. But now, like Part 1, it is growing on me. I'm diggin the vibe. Badu mentioned that it wasnt gonna be like Part 1.