The Official Biggie Vs Jay-Z Thread...

Options

Comments

• mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I never said Jay wouldn't of been successful. He was rolling with Biggie so no matter what I feel Jay would of been successful. If Big lives, Jay is Big's right hand man and they are ruling the game together. But with Biggie's death, there was a void to fill in NYC and Hip Hop and Jay stepped right in. The reason I bring up his sales from Vol 1 to Vol 2 cause it was clear that Big's fanbase drifted towards Jay. Vol 2 would of probably went Double Platinum at best but you add in Biggie and Tupac's deaths, it sold 5 Million. There was a void, Jay filled it. Biggie doesn't die, there is no void. That's all I'm saying. Jay has earned his Legendary status on his own merits. Dropped his own Classic songs and Albums but there is a reason he cannot keep Big's lyrics and name out his mouth. He knows Big laid the real blueprint that he claims dudes are taking from him. Jay Z may be our only example of what Biggie's career may have been like had it lived. Serveral #1 albums, many business ventures and a locked down spot no the Forbes List year in and year out. Again, I love Jay, always had and always will but it's clear, Big's death really helped Jay's career.

lmao!!...why does it have to be Big's fanbase instead of just Jay gaining MORE fans.....Jay was not Biggie 2.0 he was Jay-Z

and how was Biggie gonna get all these business ventures....WORKING FOR PUFF?.....if Big lives it only makes Puff more money and the bigger genuis of the two.....this thread only makes sense if someone from JM was the one on top of the game cuz they would've actually FOLLOWED Big's blueprint...jay had his own lane back then and maaaaaaaaaybe got some tips from Big(like BIG got from Pac who claim "he stole his style from"...same ? your sayin about Jay) but to say Jay got his fans from Big, his ideas from Big, his style from Big(wasn't Jay the first to put on Iceberg?....wasn't Jay the first one rockin Platinum?...when ? thought it was silver and ? ....lmaooooo) is a bit of a reach
  • goat334
    goat334 Members Posts: 3,604 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I never said Jay wouldn't of been successful. He was rolling with Biggie so no matter what I feel Jay would of been successful. If Big lives, Jay is Big's right hand man and they are ruling the game together. But with Biggie's death, there was a void to fill in NYC and Hip Hop and Jay stepped right in. The reason I bring up his sales from Vol 1 to Vol 2 cause it was clear that Big's fanbase drifted towards Jay. Vol 2 would of probably went Double Platinum at best but you add in Biggie and Tupac's deaths, it sold 5 Million. There was a void, Jay filled it. Biggie doesn't die, there is no void. That's all I'm saying. Jay has earned his Legendary status on his own merits. Dropped his own Classic songs and Albums but there is a reason he cannot keep Big's lyrics and name out his mouth. He knows Big laid the real blueprint that he claims dudes are taking from him. Jay Z may be our only example of what Biggie's career may have been like had it lived. Serveral #1 albums, many business ventures and a locked down spot no the Forbes List year in and year out. Again, I love Jay, always had and always will but it's clear, Big's death really helped Jay's career.

Hey I'm just sticking to the title of the thread....Would Jay-Z be successful if Biggie never died?
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ^^^...lmaoooooo!!...i saw that too
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    ^^^...lmaoooooo!!...i saw that too

These ? hate so hard that they just make ? up.....sad....
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jay was an unofficial member of Bad Boy. His whole 2nd album was produced by the Hitmen (Biggie's producers) and Puff was an excutive producer on the album also. Jay was on "Life After Death", "No Way Out" and "Harlem World" in 1997 all albums that outsold his career and then some at the time. Again Biggie was in Jay's 1st two videos on his debut. Biggie was co-signing Jay Z heavily before any major big stars were. "The Commission" was Biggie's project and would of came out before "Hard Knock Life" had Big lived. The Bottom line Jay Z was not that Big at the time of Big's death. One could even agrue DMX was Bigger than Jay cause his album sold more than Jay's career before "Hard Knock Life" dropped. NaS was going double platinum while Pac and Biggie were alive. I didn't say nobody was checkin for Jay but he wasn't getting checked for like that where as NaS and Ma$e were killing the game at the time. Biggie was doing everything to help Jay blow up before his death period.

Come on u reachin now... just cause puff produced his 2nd album ? was like "man that joint prob got that biggie feel 2 it" lls u say nas was sellin 2 mill when pac n big was still alive ok where is that now? How come jay surpassed all of them as far as his career goes when obviously nas and co had a head start

just face it jay was destined 4 greatness and two untimely deaths would not have changed that

Now I agree he wouldn't have blew up as fast but would have blew up never the less
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    lmao!!...why does it have to be Big's fanbase instead of just Jay gaining MORE fans.....Jay was not Biggie 2.0 he was Jay-Z

and how was Biggie gonna get all these business ventures....WORKING FOR PUFF?.....if Big lives it only makes Puff more money and the bigger genuis of the two.....this thread only makes sense if someone from JM was the one on top of the game cuz they would've actually FOLLOWED Big's blueprint...jay had his own lane back then and maaaaaaaaaybe got some tips from Big(like BIG got from Pac who claim "he stole his style from"...same ? your sayin about Jay) but to say Jay got his fans from Big, his ideas from Big, his style from Big(wasn't Jay the first to put on Iceberg?....wasn't Jay the first one rockin Platinum?...when ? thought it was silver and ? ....lmaooooo) is a bit of a reach

Biggie had his own Label called "Undes" outside of Bad Boy so though he was working for Puff, he had his label on the side. That label dropped one of the highest selling female rap albums ever and Junior Mafia project. Biggie was producing and writing Gold and Platinum albums and singles for other people, Jay wasn't doing that. Biggie had a clothing line coming out before his death called "Brooklyn Mint". Biggie was doing commericals for St. Ides and Pepsi. To act like Big wasn't expanding business shows you aren't educated on what he did. Name one Platinum artist Jay Z had on Rocafella when Big was alive? Zero where as Biggie had Lil Kim in which he featured Jay Z on Lil Kim's debut. Biggie was HUGE, Jay Z was still sidekick status when Big was living. You have yet to disprove what I said. Ma$e and NaS WERE BIGGER THAN JAY Z at the time of BIGGIE's DEATH, FACT. (It Was Written - 2x Plat, Harlem World - 4x Platinum, RD & Vol 1 combined - 1.5 Platinum)
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Come on u reachin now... just cause puff produced his 2nd album ? was like "man that joint prob got that biggie feel 2 it" lls u say nas was sellin 2 mill when pac n big was still alive ok where is that now? How come jay surpassed all of them as far as his career goes when obviously nas and co had a head start

just face it jay was destined 4 greatness and two untimely deaths would not have changed that

Now I agree he wouldn't have blew up as fast but would have blew up never the less

Hard Knock Life
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Biggie had his own Label called "Undes" outside of Bad Boy so though he was working for Puff, he had his label on the side. That label dropped one of the highest selling female rap albums ever and Junior Mafia project. Biggie was producing and writing Gold and Platinum albums and singles for other people, Jay wasn't doing that. Biggie had a clothing line coming out before his death called "Brooklyn Mint". Biggie was doing commericals for St. Ides and Pepsi. To act like Big wasn't expanding business shows you aren't educated on what he did. Name one Platinum artist Jay Z had on Rocafella when Big was alive? Zero where as Biggie had Lil Kim in which he featured Jay Z on Lil Kim's debut. Biggie was HUGE, Jay Z was still sidekick status when Big was living. You have yet to disprove what I said. Ma$e and NaS WERE BIGGER THAN JAY Z at the time of BIGGIE's DEATH, FACT. (It Was Written - 2x Plat, Harlem World - 4x Platinum, RD & Vol 1 combined - 1.5 Platinum)

his label on the side still went thru puff.....his clothing line wouldn't have come out.....before Puff's.....i never acted like Big wasn't gonna get other businesses poppin but all that ? was STILL under Puff's umbrella....last i checked Jay had his OWN label before Big's side joint even popped off....regardless of anything else Jay was already ahead of Biggie buisness-wise with that move alone....thus more successful at that point....but let me guess...biggie gave him the "idea" to start a label too huh?....lmao

wtf does the bolded have to do with anything?.....NOTHING seeing how both of them ? is still ALIVE and jay has tripled thier sales and money....i mean ? if Mase was bigger than Jay....shouldn't he be in Jay's spot right now?.....your using too much hindsight and not enough common sense homie.....
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    im listening to who shot ya freestyle.....? is funny, all i do is get money and you ? sound funny to me.....lmao
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    u guys are dumb u dont know how to read rapmastermind is 100% right u guys keep twisting his ? lets be serious jay wasnt that big of a deal in hip hop when biggie was around no1 was checking for him like that of course jay would be successful but he would be no1 near the spot he is now if biggie was around. Everyone was calling biggie king then once he died jay took the crown
  • innercity99
    edited March 2010
    Options
    goat334 wrote: »
    Hard Knock Life

Yea I meant vol 2
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    u guys are dumb u dont know how to read rapmastermind is 100% right u guys keep twisting his ? lets be serious jay wasnt that big of a deal in hip hop when biggie was around no1 was checking for him like that of course jay would be successful but he would be no1 near the spot he is now if biggie was around. Everyone was calling biggie king then once he died jay took the crown

How are we dumb when ? ain't following the thread title....Would Jay-Z be successful if Biggie never died?
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yea I meant vol 2

I just said Hard Knock Life...cause thats was the song that got the ball rolling for Jay.....but ? giving credit to Biggie for Jay being successful
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    and he said yes just not as successful if biggie was around and thats the truth he went straight in2 his spot after biggie died and if u cant c that ur blind
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    why is it always jay who had to benefit from biggie's death?
  • innercity99
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yea u right the song the album and the tour
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options

that was the question asked and you've answered it as well as many other you prolly deem "dumb"....wtf does where Jay was at when Biggie was alive have to do with anything?.....lil wayne was NOWHERE on anyone's radar(much less his own camp) when he first started and Jay was the biggest thing in rap....and now.....

my whole point is stop relying on hindsight to make your argument and just use some common sense....at the end of the day none of us know what would've happened but looking at what did happen....Jay still would be successful TODAY is BIG was still alive.....
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    goat334 wrote: »
    I just said Hard Knock Life...cause thats was the song that got the ball rolling for Jay.....but ? giving credit to Biggie for Jay being successful

true ? ....it was bound to happen..? act like Jay was Waka Flocka back in the day....lmao
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hell if big was alive.....shyne wouldn't have gone to prison and guerella black and rick ross would still be "employees" somewhere
  • goat334
    edited March 2010
    Options
    and he said yes just not as successful if biggie was around and thats the truth he went straight in2 his spot after biggie died and if u cant c that ur blind

Thats all that needed to be said.....thats all the thread asked for.....didn't need all that extra made-up ? , fueled by someone's hate .....
  • mike06
    edited March 2010
    Options

cuz he was Big's "sidekick and Nas stays losin.....
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    There was a void in hip hop when Big died as people were looking for the next KONY, and many had their chances at the crown, Ma$e, Nas, Puffy, Method Man, but Jay (along with DMX) was the one who took the biggest advantage and filled that certain void Big left. Jay would have been successful regardless, he had that drive and motivation to be on top and Jay is always putting himself around people that can make him successful, hence why he hung around the Bad Boy crew between 96 and 97.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

cuz he's the 1 who went the hardest to imitate him and take his spot
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • InMyLifeTime91
    InMyLifeTime91 Members Posts: 1,289
    edited March 2010
    Options
    hell yeah he woulda been successful.. he was on the come-up while b.i.g. was alive..