Analysis of Bible, Quran, Book of Mormon

Options
Bodhi
Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Interesting site I came across. Thought I should share

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/abs/long.htm

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well, if one of the motives to point out absurdities is because "it's funny", who isn't to say what percentage of his findings is just to be funny? It's seems more like a comedic roast than a serious inquiry on these religious books. But, it is not to say that the religious, who favor these books, don't treat these books the same way.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Some of their "absurdities" and issues are just not well thought out.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Well, if one of the motives to point out absurdities is because "it's funny", who isn't to say what percentage of his findings is just to be funny? It's seems more like a comedic roast than a serious inquiry on these religious books. But, it is not to say that the religious, who favor these books, don't treat these books the same way.

It's humorous because a lot of the Bible is ridiculous. You can click on the verses and read a lot of it for yourself
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Some of their "absurdities" and issues are just not well thought out.

examples.............
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's humorous because a lot of the Bible is ridiculous. You can click on the verses and read a lot of it for yourself

Some would disagree with the Bible being humorous. It is "forced" to be humorous because of presupposed stances on what we think the Bible...as well as other texts...represent. It is funny because he wants it to be.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Some would disagree with the Bible being humorous. It is "forced" to be humorous because of presupposed stances on what we think the Bible...as well as other texts...represent. It is funny because he wants it to be.

Well according to christianity the bible is represents truth. Of course not all of the bible is to be taken literally but the fact is that truth is logical. Most of the bible is illogical. So much so that it's humorous to think anyone would live a reality based on illogical rules
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well according to christianity the bible is represents truth. Of course not all of the bible is to be taken literally but the fact is that truth is logical. Most of the bible is illogical. So much so that it's humorous to think anyone would live a reality based on illogical rules

Oh, you shouldn't place "truth" in a box like that. You are essentially saying the truth...can't be true unless it is on common grounds as logic. The truth makes logic what it is. Without it...it ceases to exist. Logic is logic.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Oh, you shouldn't place "truth" in a box like that. You are essentially saying the truth...can't be true unless it is on common grounds as logic. The truth makes logic what it is. Without it...it ceases to exist. Logic is logic.

Truth and logic coexist. Unfortunately, the bible is neither logical nor truthful
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Actually, the bible opens up with a full chapter of illogical statements in its creation myth. Given modern scientific knowledge, these illogical statements are now humorous
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Truth and logic coexist. Unfortunately, the bible is neither logical nor truthful

You wouldn't know what logic is without the truth. There is the truth about logic, right? Logic wouldn't be true unless the truth says it is. Hey, things being false or illogical wouldn't exist either without the truth. What is the truth about logic that convinces you that it can co-exist?
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You wouldn't know what logic is without the truth.QUOTE]

in other words, they coexist. If it's not truth, it's not logical and if it's not logical, it's not truth. But that's beside the point. And we're not gonna go into a 3 page discussion on it >: O !!!

Get back to the matter at hand.
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You wouldn't know what logic is without the truth.QUOTE]

in other words, they coexist. If it's not truth, it's not logical and if it's not logical, it's not truth. But that's beside the point. And we're not gonna go into a 3 page discussion on it >: O !!!

Get back to the matter at hand.

But what is "The Truth"? I'm not talking about "a truth". What is the truth that would make it so that every other truth to thrive? Logic has a beginning as well as everything else. I believe you are wanting "the truth" to be confined to what logic says.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options

But what is "The Truth"? I'm not talking about "a truth". What is the truth that would make it so that every other truth to thrive? Logic has a beginning as well as everything else. I believe you are wanting "the truth" to be confined to what logic says.

"The Truth" is "The Law", a substantial reality
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options

"The Truth" is "The Law", a substantial reality

Well, who determines that? If you are going to say "ourselves", then it's possible for someone to come up with their own perception of it that is. The Truth can be The Law and The Law could be some destructive notion of mankind.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Logic is used to arrive at truth
    Truth makes statements logical

2+2=4 This is logical and truthful
    2+3=4 This is illogical and untruthful

Underlying all reality is mathematics. This is the universal law and it is not a destructive notion of mankind
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Ok please show me how you get to 5 with the equation 2+2 without adding in any other variables or completely changing the problem. I would love to see you pay for a 5 dollar item with two 2 dollar bills
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    and besides, 2+2=5 was not part of my example
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    mathematically, there are instances where you can show that 2+2=5, just saying

Even if you could show that 2+2=5, you'd have to use logic to show that 2+2=5 is a logical statement so regardless of whether you can do it or not, my claim still stands. Honestly, I don't know why you chimed in. you trying to add your two cents and you two cents short
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Logic is used to arrive at truth
    Truth makes statements logical

2+2=4 This is logical and truthful
    2+3=4 This is illogical and untruthful

Underlying all reality is mathematics. This is the universal law and it is not a destructive notion of mankind

The problem I see with this...is that you are not considering the other contexts in which to arrive at truth. I see more than just mathematics. I see in order for all you have said to be true, it must also be based on your understanding of English...not just as the language, but as a writing style. Your statement may be true, but it won't make sense to someone who doesn't read English or comprehend the words and phrases associated with it. You statement is based in history. Logic had it's founders who had an idea that this type of method should have a name. And given any motives whether good or bad, it is based on conviction. No one says something or does something if it doesn't play a significant part to our lives. There are probably more things to consider but that's the best I can do on the fly.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The truth is.. the Truth cannot be spoken, it's only heard in silence. The truth is the Truth cannot be seen, it dwells in darkness. And the truth is, Truth cannot be felt cuz it has no form. Truth can only be understood, in as much as you can while you live in an existence of sound, form and light. Deprivation of these things to crucial degrees could cause enlightenment they say. I'm not there yet, but if was how would I know?
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The problem I see with this...is that you are not considering the other contexts in which to arrive at truth. I see more than just mathematics. I see in order for all you have said to be true, it must also be based on your understanding of English...not just as the language, but as a writing style. Your statement may be true, but it won't make sense to someone who doesn't read English or comprehend the words and phrases associated with it. You statement is based in history. Logic had it's founders who had an idea that this type of method should have a name. And given any motives whether good or bad, it is based on conviction. No one says something or does something if it doesn't play a significant part to our lives. There are probably more things to consider but that's the best I can do on the fly.

mathematics transcends language barriers. Mathematics is a universal language. And mathematics was set into place before mankind. Mathematics is in everything; every action, every event. Even if someone in Mexico doesn't understand what I mean when I say "mathematics", they know what math is. And they know the answer to 2+2. The answer is 4. They know it because it's logical and it's true. Language is an understanding of sounds created by man to communicate. English is manmade. numbers are universal and stand as long as there is ANYTHING in existance. The words we associate WITH numbers are products of language but numbers were set into play before the first man ever set foot on planet earth

I could say the word "shout" any time during today and that action would play no significant role in the life of a 3 year old in Kenya
  • alissowack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    mathematics transcends language barriers. Mathematics is a universal language. And mathematics was set into place before mankind. Mathematics is in everything; every action, every event. Even if someone in Mexico doesn't understand what I mean when I say "mathematics", they know what math is. And they know the answer to 2+2. The answer is 4. They know it because it's logical and it's true. Language is an understanding of sounds created by man to communicate. English is manmade. numbers are universal and stand as long as there is ANYTHING in existance. The words we associate WITH numbers are products of language but numbers were set into play before the first man ever set foot on planet earth

I could say the word "shout" any time during today and that action would play no significant role in the life of a 3 year old in Kenya

I guess there is another one that truth could be based on though it's could be faulty...and that is presupposition. Just because you know what mathematics is true doesn't automatically suggest that everybody knows that mathematics is true. You are assuming that Mexicans...as well as everyone else...have the privilege of knowing what mathematics is. There are people who can't do math. They may not even be able to spell "math".

I don't know where you are going with this "shout" example, but you are basing truth on limitations. You are assuming given where you are are where that kid is...that you can't say "shout" and expect the kid in Kenya to hear it.

All I was saying in my previous post is that there are other ways to arrive at truth. It doesn't mean that it is "The Truth" but without it, it doesn't exist.
  • And Step
    edited July 2011
    Options

Numbers are not universal. Mathematics is but numbers aren't. The Ancient Egyptians used picture symbols of humans and animals in a lot of instances to denote values assigned.

You could go to that same child in Ancient Egypt and say 2+2 and it would have no meaning.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Numbers are not universal. Mathematics is but numbers aren't. The Ancient Egyptians used picture symbols of humans and animals in a lot of instances to denote values assigned.

You could go to that same child in Ancient Egypt and say 2+2 and it would have no meaning.

The ancient egyptians studied mathematics and used geometry to solve problems and answer questions about the nature of the universe. Ever heard of thoth? Entire temples were built and books written on the subject and others
  • And Step
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The ancient egyptians studied mathematics and used geometry to solve problems and answer questions about the nature of the universe. Ever heard of thoth? Entire temples were built and books written on the subject and others

I know that. That is why I said Mathematics is Universal and numbers are not. Mathematics and Numbers are not congruent. Go read my post again and get back with me.

Pythagorus agrees with me. And you partially.