eating under x amount a day

Options
Bussy_Getta
Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Weight Room
is it ok to eat under 1,000 calories a day?

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    is it ok to eat under 1,000 calories a day?
    Only if you have a low BMR (basal metabolic rate) to begin with. You're like 5'10 - 5'11 and in your early twenties, you weigh around 180 from what I remember so your BMR is around 1600+. 1000 may be too low, especially if you're exercising as well. If you are working out, shoot for 1200 a day :tu
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    what would happen if i did 1,000 tho
    side effects??
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    what would happen if i did 1,000 tho
    side effects??
    If you eat too few calories your metabolism may slow down, lower energy levels, digestive system can mess up, your cholesterol can raise in your gallbladder which can effect its ability to expel bile, and/or stalled weight loss. I dont know if 1000 will put you there though *shrugs* Maybe you can try it for a couple/few weeks and see how your body responds.
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    that dont sound appealing
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i did it for like 2 weeks

i ate like 800 then 1200 then 1500 then 800

after the first day you get use to it and your never hungry

i lost like 10 pounds tho...

but im suppose to eat 3200 a day
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    any side effects??
  • 7 DAY THEORY CDATISR
    7 DAY THEORY CDATISR Members Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2011
    Options
    any side effects??

not really.. at first your stomach hurts.. but after awhile you dont feel anything. you might feel tired from not eating, but thats about it.
  • Boo Radley
    Boo Radley Members Posts: 104
    edited July 2011
    Options
    You will be miserable. Lack of carbs makes you cranky.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've read articles on bodybuilders back in the day that only ate 800 cals a day while cutting body fat. Honestly, for a normal person though I wouldn't recommend it. Just carb cycle. 3-4 days on a very low carb, low cal diet then carb up for 1 day. You'll feel much better and still lose the pounds if you are eating right.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited July 2011
    Options
    any side effects??

Similar to what Wallh said. If you starve your body at levels well below maintenance your whole system goes into a "stavation" mode where weight loss stalls and in fact your body becomes more adept at enlarging its fat stores from what you eat and you will become hypersensitive to weight gain if you ate anything in addition to your proscribed diet plan. Also, your body will start to cannibalize itself in an effort to make up for the caloric shortfall.

The first thing to go, ironically, is muscle tissue which is easier to convert than fat tissue. Also, starvation will cause the belly to distend and bloat because your are depriving it of the nutrients needed to maintain the blood vessel walls, allowing fluid to leak into the visceral cavity and give you that nasty poot you're so desperately trying to get rid of.
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've read articles on bodybuilders back in the day that only ate 800 cals a day while cutting body fat. Honestly, for a normal person though I wouldn't recommend it. Just carb cycle. 3-4 days on a very low carb, low cal diet then carb up for 1 day. You'll feel much better and still lose the pounds if you are eating right.

can you tell me more about this or direct me to an article good sir
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    heres the thing i dont plan on starving myself.......
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Here's the thing...at 1000 cals a day, you are. It isn't as dramatic as third world starvation, but a significant caloric deficit is still starvation.

As for carb cycling, I've done it successfully before and find it a good way to try and lose weight. It can be a bit overwhelming and requires some OCD tendencies, though you shouldn't do it for too long as your body will eventually adapt to the cyclical intake of carbs.

here's a link for an easy HOW TO: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/a_beginners_guide_to_carb_cycling
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Here's the thing...at 1000 cals a day, you are. It isn't as dramatic as third world starvation, but a significant caloric deficit is still starvation.

As for carb cycling, I've done it successfully before and find it a good way to try and lose weight. It can be a bit overwhelming and requires some OCD tendencies, though you shouldn't do it for too long as your body will eventually adapt to the cyclical intake of carbs.

here's a link for an easy HOW TO: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/a_beginners_guide_to_carb_cycling
    thanks for the link patna
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Depending on how long you do it..........your metabolism may slow down so when you go back to eating regular, you may gain weight quicker.
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    heres the thing i dont plan on starving myself.......

It's best to eat 3 meals a day, I heavy breakfast, to light lunch, light dinner and vice versa
  • truth spitter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    It's best to eat 3 meals a day, I heavy breakfast, to light lunch, light dinner and vice versa

why is it best to eat 3 meals a day?
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I did a strict 1 week diet and didn't really do it all the way and lost 5 lbs in a week. Honestly I didn't do it exactly tweeked it a little. If I get a chance when I get home I'll post it up. It consist of 6 to 7 meals a day too.
  • MeTaL
    edited July 2011
    Options
    why is it best to eat 3 meals a day?

So your consuming enough nutrients and vitamins to keep you healthy. You also need a certain amount of food to give you energy to do things through out the day. If you do not have enough you will go in starvation mode meaning your metabolism slows down and causes you to have no energy and harder to maintain your weight.
  • truth spitter
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So your consuming enough nutrients and vitamins to keep you healthy. You also need a certain amount of food to give you energy to do things through out the day. If you do not have enough you will go in starvation mode meaning your metabolism slows down and causes you to have no energy and harder to maintain your weight.

when would ur body go into "starvation" mode? And how much nutrients and vitamins do u need to stay healthy? Can u not get enough in 2 meals a day? Or spread it out in 4 or 5?
  • MeTaL
    edited July 2011
    Options
    when would ur body go into "starvation" mode? And how much nutrients and vitamins do u need to stay healthy? Can u not get enough in 2 meals a day? Or spread it out in 4 or 5?

Body will go in starvation mode, when you eat like one meal and no more food is going through your body throughout the day. What your body does it's start to go into hunger mode and goes into starvation mode. After that body goes to alternative mode, which is stored body fat which is not good at all.

As for nutrients and vitamins, their is no certain amount, you need at least good amount everyday. As for food intakes, that was just my opinions of 3 meals a day. 4 or 5 is good as well, 2 meals is ok as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Body will go in starvation mode, when you eat like one meal and no more food is going through your body throughout the day. What your body does it's start to go into hunger mode and goes into starvation mode. After that body goes to alternative mode, which is stored body fat which is not good at all.

As for nutrients and vitamins, their is no certain amount, you need at least good amount everyday. As for food intakes, that was just my opinions of 3 meals a day. 4 or 5 is good as well, 2 meals is ok as well.

? you could of just said "as long as u eat more than 1 meal" ..... nothing complex about it ....
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited July 2011
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    I did a strict 1 week diet and didn't really do it all the way and lost 5 lbs in a week. Honestly I didn't do it exactly tweeked it a little. If I get a chance when I get home I'll post it up. It consist of 6 to 7 meals a day too.

post up patna
  • truth spitter
    edited July 2011
    Options

can i get a link on this
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i really should start payin attention to ? like this..

most days i only eat one meal and a snack or 2..