Know Your Rights: What To Do If You're Stopped By Police, Immigration Agents or FBI

Options
2»

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    im_lux wrote: »
    So that's good enough for you? You're okay with being complacent with police doing whatever they want to you? Now days you're more likely to find a police officer with a dash cam and or a mic than not. You're never ALONE even when you're alone.

But it's that "oh whatever, it'll happen" type ? that helps them get away with it. If you don't say anything or exercise your rights when they actually do decide to violate them you have no ground to stand on because you were complacent with your treatment at the time and allowed them to do whatever the ? they want.

But if some sort of crazy ? does happen to you with your rights being violated and you end up getting convicted on a bogus search or a ? invasion of privacy you'll be the first in the courtroom screaming about the justice system that you decided to ignore.

People scream injustice but don't care to pay attention to the law or their rights. There's way more things we are able to utilize that white people use efficiently, we just don't care to pay attention to them. Rights are just the biggest most common issue we refuse to try and understand.

Just cause you're black doesn't mean you can't use their own heavily biased justice system against them.

What he is saying is all that ? you talking doesn't mean anything if you run into an ? cop, judge, or DA. There have been lawyers like Vernon Jordan who have been violated and it didn't make a damn bit of difference. You talk all that ? but at the end of the day if the cop wants to violate you and lie, chances are your ass is going downtown.

You know how many people who know their rights have still been ? over? Plenty. A whole bunch of ? sitting n jail, the hospital, or cemetery because some devil did not give a ? about due process, the law, or being right.

So while you screaming about your rights, pray you don't run into one of those cops who will give you your rights and a whole lot of lefts.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    But that’s simply not true. Maybe that’s true sometimes. But it’s certainly not true all of the time. I think that you’re exaggerating here. Not every cop is a criminal, and not every black individual will be treated like ? by the cops. Even if the cops do you wrong while you exercise your rights, you can still attain some kind of justice if you remained a law abiding citizen. Another important piece of what I posted was that you can receive help from not only your lawyer, but also from friends and family (especially if you don’t trust your lawyer). You can also keep a record of everything that went down with a given cop. You can also file a complaint. You can also contact the American Civil Liberties Union. You can also go public with it. Hell, you can do a Rodney King and videotape the whole episode. Someone pointed out another extremely helpful tip – you can also make sure that when you get stopped that you stop at a well lit area. Also, you can demand a cop to identify himself and inspect his badge. All this points to the fact that a citizen is not much different than a cop as far as status and power goes, and that said citizen has rights that can empower and protect him from ? law enforcement. But the problem is that a lot of people don’t know this.

Knowing your rights is one of the most powerful bits of knowledge you can have and use in America. Especially as black man or woman, so I don’t see how you can even imply that it’s theoretical or ineffectual.

I truly think that all of this falls in line with the fact that Tupac, a black man, shot and wounded two off duty cops and got off scot free and never served any time. Why? Because he exercised his rights (albeit regarding self-defense) as an American citizen. Now, shooting ? cops in self defense is a worst case scenario. But for less tense scenarios, using your right to remain silent, etc, are equally effective solutions.

That’s an overstatement, and that’s certainly not true all of the time. Especially if you follow the advice that I posted. Again, I think that you are exaggerating.

Generally, if you are a law abiding citizen, there is no need to run. If you are a criminal on the run, then if you want to risk running, that’s up to you. But the same rules apply, if there is sufficient evidence that a cop shot an unarmed suspect in the back without probable reason, then he can and will be fired from his job and may (and should) serve time. And yes, this has happened.

This seems like an overstatement but I’m not sure I understand you here. What would said person be trying to explain?

I agree. But preparation and sense to me means knowing and exercising your rights though.

…?

This happens on the regular.
    They violated three aspects of police protocol, so all that ? they talking means nothing. Did I mention they got off, after being found out to have falsified police reports? They even got promoted.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    for every right you have, they have abt 5 or more to counteract that.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you know your laws/city distance, you can drive to a well-lit area w/ witnesses---- without being considered fleeing...then you should never be faced with dealing with police somewhere, alone.

How many cops are caught on camera and get off?

• Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Good to know this ? . Never know when you'll get pulled over for somethun stupid.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

This video pretty much explains what to do and what not to do.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The first 2-3 mins speaking with a cop determines a lot.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Good post man, props.

But Unfortunetly, it doesnt matter if you know your rights or not. Unless you have it on tape. And even then there are state laws that prohibit taping of policemen on duty.

We are on the verge of a national poilice state. Be armed and ready.