I think the Nolan Batman series has ruined Superhero movies for me

Options

Comments

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    spawn would have been a great movie had they done it right he is as dark as they come
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    imo watchmen, sin city, kick ass, scott pilgrim, other nolan films like the prestige, inception>>>>>tdk
    and the spiderman franchise was more entertainin to me
    dark knight was a nice movie but nowhere near the best
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    TimroD wrote: »
    imo watchmen, sin city, kick ass, scott pilgrim, other nolan films like the prestige, inception>>>>>tdk

yoooooo I just saw scott pilgrim 2 weeks ago

that movie was fuckn HILARIOUS! that is how you film a movie
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    But we're not saying we expect dark movies, because Ironman 1 & 2 were good imo. It was funny, had good action. It wasn't a cheap Friday night thing to do.

But I want to feel like the directors actually cared about making a good movie. Not just getting their movie on a bunch of lunchboxes.

My standard of excellence in movies is pretty fuckn high. Not because I'm hard to please, its cause I feel ? just don't care about being better than the rest.

Co-sign on both, i really enjoyed the ironman movies i still watch those...

and yea im the same way as far as having high standards, i feel like if thats your job then it should be done at your highest ability or at least attempted, i see too many movies slapped together and ends up like ? ...
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Co-sign on both, i really enjoyed the ironman movies i still watch those...

and yea im the same way as far as having high standards, i feel like if thats your job then it should be done at your highest ability or at least attempted, i see too many movies slapped together and ends up like ? ...

exactly! And its not like consumers have an option. At least not a legal option. The only way we can cast a consumer vote is by going or not going to a movie. But I feel like we're in an abusive relationship with Hollywood. Everytime a movie comes out, its like Hollywood saying, "Come on, everythings gonna be different this time. I changed for you. I'm better now." Then we go, see the movie, its pure ? , and Hollywood calls it a success because we paid to see it. At that point, our opinion on the movie doesn't fuckn matter. They have our money.
  • nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's not the point of anything "missing" you nitwit. It was just a solid action movie with batman. Thats all it was... an action movie. Just like any action movie it had the unbelievable unnecessary romance. Had the villain who could do everything and be 50 steps ahead of the hero until the end... cliche. It had the normal car chases....cliche
    The fact is it was a normal action movie but with batman and that cannot be disputed which is why you didnt even try.

But in the Batman books that's what the Joker does. He's always a few steps ahead.

But hell, some people didn't think Jordan was that good, or The Godfather was wack, or Friday wasn't that funny.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yea it's more about the super hero they pick. the problem is they just picking any old super hero and trying to give him personality that folks will attract to doens't work. for all of them. that's why ironman was a hit. it was b/c of how the character of ironman was relate able. Though the 2nd movie was kinda lame.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    yea it's more about the super hero they pick. the problem is they just picking any old super hero and trying to give him personality that folks will attract to doens't work. for all of them. that's why ironman was a hit. it was b/c of how the character of ironman was relate able. Though the 2nd movie was kinda lame.

great point...that green lantern ? was a total wtf

the fact they are even entertaining a Captain Planet remake says it all
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options

love this movie
  • Carlos Loozer
    Carlos Loozer Members Posts: 848
    edited July 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »

You're being very unrealistic with what you expect out of a great movie. You're taking very broadbased themes, matching it to the batman movie, killing the movie for it, but not realizing that the movie did it in clever ways. A theme in a movie, thats a cliche, means that you spotted the plot & could match the action toe to toe before it happened. For example, Green Lantern, is Captain America, is the Hulk, is Transformers. The only thing that changes is the character and the story line.

Nothing about this batman is cliche because it was filmed cleverly and made sense. Yeah it had a familiar love interest as a main storyline, but its the way that the harvey dent character was created out of batmans error that makes it clever. We always knew what 2face looked like, it was clever the way that the director shot it. By crossing Jokers twisted manipulation scheme with Batmans love interest. That was clever. In any other movie the way that gets filmed is like this:

Joker walks in with can of gas

Him and harvey Dent fight it out

Batman comes in and its a 1 on 1 on 1 free for all

Joker crashes into a machine that lights sparks onto the floor.

Batman somehow gets knocked over the edge in a scuffle.

Joker trips harvery, pushes his face into the fire and laughs.

Batman screams "No!" Joker disappears into the night.

No im not being unrealistic with what i expect. The fact is batman was just an action movie..... nothing was clever what da ? ? Joker being omnipotent until the end is not clever and making sense...... maggie gyllynhall being an unnecessary and unbelievable love interest is not clever and making sense. You're giving nolan and batman way too much credit. Clever how they shot two face? get da ? out of here. Characters being created out of the main hero's fault is another action/superhero movie cliche...... it happens too often.
    The villain getting involved with the love interest of the hero in some way is not clever..... it happens all the time... you need to watch more movies or somethin because this ? was cliche.
  • Carlos Loozer
    edited July 2011
    Options
    But in the Batman books that's what the Joker does. He's always a few steps ahead.

But hell, some people didn't think Jordan was that good, or The Godfather was wack, or Friday wasn't that funny.

You just brought up the batman books as a reference..... but isn't the nolan movies suppose to be more realistic than that? Not consistent once again
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dark knight was an average action movie with batman mythos thrown in ............ anybody who dares to argue will be destroyed .

Good movie but not great

Joker good but not great

Bale probably his worst performance

two face... nuff said

maggie gyllynhall as a love interest.......... yes we all know it is unbelievable

batman in japan doing ? like that...... ?

joker being everywhere and having like 100 different scenarios in place....... ? unrealistic-ism that doesnt go with the ? appearance of dark realism

I can go on about how this movie is average but i will wait until anybody responds with something worth it to this

Wow u did so much complaining in this post.....

do you even know the Role of The Joker as far as his Character??...the entire point is he's always ahead of you, he has plan after plan , and even lets u do ? on purpose so another plan can fall through how he wants to

and im not even sure what "Unrealistic-ism" is..
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2011
    Options

i Liked Watchmen

Kick Ass was Wack Juice..hated that movie
  • Carlos Loozer
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Wow u did so much complaining in this post.....

do you even know the Role of The Joker as far as his Character??...the entire point is he's always ahead of you, he has plan after plan , and even lets u do ? on purpose so another plan can fall through how he wants to

and im not even sure what "Unrealistic-ism" is..

You just proved my point about the movie not being realistic but people are on nolans ? so hard. The point of joker in the comics is unrealistic so to even do that in the movie would make it what??????????????? unrealistic. Sorry cuz but the movie is cliche and unrealistic and nobody can explain how it isnt.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Fact......

i dont go in with the mind set "This ? better be like Dark Knight" ...i go in hoping the movie makes sense for the character and the storyline, and like u said the poor written script is what ? it up.

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Never thought The Dark Knight was that great or the masterpiece people like to think it is. There are far too many flaws in the film I could highlight, and for me it was Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2 (though I can imagine that has aged badly) that helped set the high benchmark for comic book films.

I dunno, since then I've been massively impressed with Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I agree with the earlier comments, it's the other film makers knocking out the ? comic book films who are at fault, not the people that actually do a decent job at it. I'm surprised people haven't grown tired of comic book films on a whole anyway, that's all that seems to get knocked out by Hollywood these days. It's getting boring.

batman begins wasnt that good dog
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I don't like Nolans version of batman, TDK was good no doubt, but because he is aiming for a more realistic batman we cant have more of the better villians, ? ras al ghul he is corny.
    we could of have Clay Face, Killer Croc, and other villians but they wouldnt mesh with the nolan bats
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Batman is a Dark Character , so the way Nolan shot batman made 100% Sense ....

it's about if it plays to the character or not , well written script, good acting , does it somewhat follow the storyline of what we know it as , and can it keep our attention

if ya'll expecting a bunch of similar Dark movies with other characters then yea your wasting your time, cuz so many characters werent' dark so why would they do that?.

i said this in another thread but it fits here too...
    that's just it though, if you read the comics, hell even casually look up the characters on wikipedia these are NOT kid stories...superhero's go through substance abuse, depression, marriage issues, children out of wedlock, job problems, money problems, comics really aren't children oriented if you think about the topics they cover in alot of their stories..
    Batman isn't the only dark character
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well first off i did enjoy the dark knight and thought it was a well made movie. but ill tell u one thing. if aronofsky was still on board to direct the wolverine, i can almost assure u that wouldve been a comic book adaption that couldve met if not exceeded the bar set by tdk
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dark knight was an average action movie with batman mythos thrown in ............ anybody who dares to argue will be destroyed .

Good movie but not great

Joker good but not great

Bale probably his worst performance

two face... nuff said

maggie gyllynhall as a love interest.......... yes we all know it is unbelievable

batman in japan doing ? like that...... ?

joker being everywhere and having like 100 different scenarios in place....... ? unrealistic-ism that doesnt go with the ? appearance of dark realism

I can go on about how this movie is average but i will wait until anybody responds with something worth it to this

Spoken as someone who dont nothing bout batman or his story.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Spoken as someone who dont nothing bout batman or his story.

Its just a stupid ass argument, period. Its basically just taking the actual genre that the film is in and claiming that thats what it is but with the source material's mythos "thrown in". The Dark Knight is an action movie just like the comic that its based on is an action comic. You can say that about anything. You could say Spider Man 2 was an action movie with Spider-Man mythos thrown in, Blade was a martial arts/action movie with Blade mythos thrown in, X-men is a sci-fi/action film with X-men mythos thrown in. Just undermining, I guess.
  • tru_m.a.c
    edited July 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    i said this in another thread but it fits here too... Batman isn't the only dark character

great point...it leads into my pussification of our generation theory I have

I seen anvils drop on every cartoon character possible. ? never made me want to go out and do it. The Joker was a psychopath. Didn't mean I wanted to go out and imitate him.

Hollywood is so scared of doing dark/realistic ? . Its borderline ? the way ever story has the same romantic plotlines. There's no real susbstance/life lessons.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    as I said before,Captain America >>>>TDK and I like TDK.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited July 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    i said this in another thread but it fits here too... Batman isn't the only dark character

oh i agree 100% Batman isn't at all, not even close ....

i agree a lot of the comic world has a lot of Gruesomeness in it ....

but im talkin bout what a character is traditionally known as , not the books that end up getting so detailed about depression, drinking issues and so on...

thats why Wolverine character in movies tend to catch flack in the X-Men movie, dude is a Rated R character in the books but in the movie he's so watered down ...cuz they know kids wanna watch it also
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    it was just how well written it was , to go along how Great The Joker came off, it was just a well written movie....

but too each his own, everyone cant like it the same way, but to me the movie is a classic...? never gets old.

only flaw really was Too Face, i thought his burnt up face looked cheesy ...but overall the movie was cold.
    The writing focused more on the Joker and Harvey Dent than Batman.The end was also weak especially killing off 2face.