Comparin' blacks to ? ...

Options

Comments

• ceothachosen1
    ceothachosen1 Members Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    both minorities both oppressed, discriminated against and denied civil rights definitely some similarities
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    there are plenty of ? black men and women so that comment there makes no sense...and having power in the entertainment industry doesn't mean ? when it comes to civil rights...the government>>>>the fashion world...the government>>>>hollywood...the government>>>>the music industry...there's no way those industries have more power/pull than the US government...the government decides "Being ? is mental disorder" again guess what...not ? making a movie, some clothing lines, and a cd can do to change that...

I know that there is plenty of ? black people, but they are mainly discriminated against for being black, not ? ..And those black ? are still not as powerful as the white ones. As far as the gov, they are conceding...Especially since many of them are ? as well. I just don't see the struggle for them continuing after the legal battles are done because the economic might is already there.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    The right to get married in most states. The right to adopt in most states. Until very recently, the right to serve openly in the military. Etc. I could go on. But what's the point?

So pretty much its not a fight for individual rights, its a fight to be recognized as equals with the straight couple?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I know that there is plenty of ? black people, but they are mainly discriminated against for being black, not ? ..And those black ? are still not as powerful as the white ones. As far as the gov, they are conceding...Especially since many of them are ? as well. I just don't see the struggle for them continuing after the legal battles are done because the economic might is already there.

if you think having the legal rights will automatically change the mentalities of people who enacted those discriminatory practices to begin with, then that would have automatically eliminated racism once Jim Crow laws were eliminated...
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2011
    Options
    when did I ever say or hint at anything different?

when you said it's not the same as it was before for blacks....which it is, just in a different form. forgetting that will cause further losses which is why the Jews never forget...Neither should blacks.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    While I agree 100% with this ? , I was talking more about institutionalized ? . There are or were until very recently, documented laws and polices forbidding ? marriage, openly serving in the military. Gotta overcome systemic, oppressive ? that is sanctioned by the government before you can tackle those other things that are just common practice but have no basis in documented law.

Well first of all I agree with everything you've been saying in this thread, so not really arguing with the bigger point, but that kind of workplace protection is engrained in law for other minority groups.
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2011
    Options
    if you think having the legal rights will automatically change the mentalities of people who enacted those discriminatory practices to begin with, then that would have automatically eliminated racism once Jim Crow laws were eliminated...

blacks forgot about the collective economic aspect of the fight (which is why Jim Crow was enacted in the first place), which the Jews and ? have not.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    when you said it's not the same as it was before for blacks....which it is, just in a different form. forgetting that will cause further losses which is why the Jews never forget...Neither should blacks.

just because it's not the same doesn't mean there isn't still things to fight against...but let's be honest...many of the issues black americans in the past had to worry about doesn't even cross the mind of a good portion of black americans today because it's not a part of their daily reality...back then you HAD to know what was going on...you were a social outcast if you didn't...now ? only happens when it gets way too serious...? only come into action when something makes the news...people were battling discrimination 24/7 then...now that ? is a part-time job for most
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Just agree to disagree

? ? Rights Groups, ? what they fighting for, and ? you if you think its ok for anybody to mention, compare, or reference the Civil rights fight of Black people in relation to ? people and their made up fight and agendas
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    [QUOTE=musicology1985;3095379]blacks forgot about the collective economic aspect of the fight (which is why Jim Crow was enacted in the first place), which the Jews and ? have not.[/QUOTE]

interesting...what do you think caused that to be forgotten...as much as supporting black business is preached, why is it rarely put into action?
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? people will get their basic civil rights before Black people.

all they want is to legally get married and recieve benefits like any other person.
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2011
    Options
    interesting...what do you think caused that to be forgotten...as much as supporting black business is preached, why is it rarely put into action?

when we lost the middle and upper class of black America after integration to black flight as well as the onset of the drug era, many business families (mine included) were not able to compete with white competition and prices. at the same time, other immigrants came in and took advantage of those businesses in majority black areas.

however, the ones that we didn't let go (funeral homes, churches, restaurants, barber shops and beauty salons) are still active and supported by blacks til this day. it's just that we have few services and jobs that blacks can provide for their own. once that's done the struggle will be over for us too, just like it was for the jews.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    5hrs late but still cosigning this thread. Our struggles is not the same.

400 yrs of slavery, racism, discrimination, injustice, segregation based off the color of our skin>>>>>>>a lifestyle that someone CHOOSES.

You can hide being ? . I can't hide being black. And don't give me that "some folks was born ? " bs excuse. Being ? is a LIFESTYLE, not a RACE. people need to start learning the difference.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    will someone who supports this comparison explain why they dont compare their struggle to other oppressed groups (ie Jews)....

The Black civil rights movement is the most recent and is quite possibly, the most relevant civil rights movement of all time. Most people are still quite aware of it.

Maybe you could make an argument saying that some ? purposely invoke the Blk. Civil Rights movement for propaganda. But id say many genuinely feel a sense of inspiration from it, and feel they're carrying the torch for the continued overall struggle for the equal treatment of humans. Hence why they make the comparison.

And the Jews collectively are the extreme end of what happens when you hold an eternal pity party for your struggle. They've become such privileged ? that calling them out on anything collectively gets you looked at sideways. ? try to mention or compare the holocaust (which they play up as the worst thing to happen ever) and you will get buried.

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited August 2011
    Options
    just because it's not the same doesn't mean there isn't still things to fight against...but let's be honest...many of the issues black americans in the past had to worry about doesn't even cross the mind of a good portion of black americans today because it's not a part of their daily reality...back then you HAD to know what was going on...you were a social outcast if you didn't...now ? only happens when it gets way too serious...? only come into action when something makes the news...people were battling discrimination 24/7 then...now that ? is a part-time job for most

Sad but true.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited August 2011
    Options
    D-Jack wrote: »
    Can you morons stop saying that being ? is a ? choice?

Uh b/c it is a choice. It's a lifestyle. Just like being heterosexual, bi, goth, rocker, country, all lifestyles folks choose. I didn't choose to be black. I was born this way. It's in my DNA. When u look at me, u can tell I'm black. Our people were discriminated based off the color of our skins. Not b/c of the lifestyle. U can hide being ? . U can conceal being ? . U can disguise being ? , by acting heterosexual.

Black folks can't hide our skin color. First & foremost when u see me, u see a black man. Yes ? go thru SIMILAR struggles as blacks such as discrimination, and a couple civil rights issues. But to put yourselves on the same plane as was black folks have thru for centuries...no.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yep, you're an idiot. You cannot choose to be ? , it's say you choose to be male or female. You were born that way; I really disagree with the ? be on the same level as black struggle cuz ? haven't been on chains, water-hosed, had to drink from a specific fountain, and had a jim crow-esque laws against. There, YOU CANNOT ? CHOOSE TO BE HOMOSEXUAL OR ANY ORIENTATION.

Co-signature. Straight ? don't choose to be straight and ? ? don't choose to be ? .
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    Uh b/c it is a choice. It's a lifestyle. Just like being heterosexual, bi, goth, rocker, country, all lifestyles folks choose. I didn't choose to be black. I was born this way. It's in my DNA. When u look at me, u can tell I'm black. Our people were discriminated based off the color of our skins. Not b/c of the lifestyle. U can hide being ? . U can conceal being ? . U can disguise being ? , by acting heterosexual.

Black folks can't hide our skin color. First & foremost when u see me, u see a black man. Yes ? go thru SIMILAR struggles as blacks such as discrimination, and a couple civil rights issues. But to put yourselves on the same plane as was black folks have thru for centuries...no.

Yup - I'm not tryin' to hear that born ? ? - when you got motherfuckas out here paintin' there sons' nails and dressin' them in tutu's calling them princess boy n' ? .

Everything you said gets the co-signature.

If they really born ? , then explain the ones who were once ? but now they're straight ?
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    Yup - I'm not tryin' to hear that born ? ? - when you got motherfuckas out here paintin' there sons' nails and dressin' them in tutu's calling them princess boy n' ? .

If they really born ? , then explain the ones who were once ? but now they're straight ?

people lie to themselves everyday....the rest of what you're talking about is socialization in terms of gender expression...that doesn't control a child's sexual orientation though on it's own though...to say that would mean that if somebody tried hard enough they could make you ? ...and I'm quite certain you don't believe you yourself can be turned ? ...
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »

No such thing, B. A ? can be attracted to men sexually and want to have sexual and romantic relationships with them, but doesn't because ? are persecuted in this country. So he plays the role and gets with women. Gets married. Has a family. Etc. Guess what? That ? is ? ! If you ? , you're ? . If you're straight, you're straight.
  • JayToTheZ
    JayToTheZ Members Posts: 454
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Cosign this thread. All that ? ? is a choice. If you don't want to be labeled as ? , stop acting feminine in public, and no one will be able to tell your sexuality. Simple as that.

You can't change your skin color. Also, I don't remember ? people not having the right to vote, or being treated as 2nd class citizens by the government.

Get you ? facts straight dude, acting feminine has nothing to do with being ? , AT ALL.

But i do remember when ? marriage was not legal, in-fact just a month ago New York made it legal for ? marriage.

As far as I'm concerned everybody uses the word "? " as a way to say something is bad or stupid. When ? people hear the word ? being used to describe something that is stupid or ? , it makes them feel bad about them selfs just like when people call you black people "? ", you all get offended.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yep, you're an idiot. You cannot choose to be ? , it's say you choose to be male or female. You were born that way; I really disagree with the ? be on the same level as black struggle cuz ? haven't been on chains, water-hosed, had to drink from a specific fountain, and had a jim crow-esque laws against. There, YOU CANNOT ? CHOOSE TO BE HOMOSEXUAL OR ANY ORIENTATION.

I'm an "idiot" b/c I disagree wit YOUR logic? Lol!! C'mon dawg. You actin like a 5 yr old who can't get their way lol!! Name calling aside, there is NO comparison to what blacks went threw, compared to what ? go thru. Being ? is a LIFESTYLE! So I guess you feel the "struggles" ? go thru, should me on the same magnitude as what Jews went thru during the holocaust. Or what Mexican immigrants are goin thru now? I agree wit ? having civil rights just like everybody else. And the whole argument about them wanting to get married is a nonissue to me. What 2 consenting adults wanna do wit their lives, is THEIR business. How does that affect another man's tax bracket?

BUT, you can't compare that to what black folks have gone for 400+ years. C'mon now.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

It's obvious you can choose to be ? or straight, since there are people who consider themselves Bi-sexual or Bi-curious. Not to mention all of these shows and blogs talking about how people use to be ? , but they no longer have those feelings. Explanation?
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It's obvious you can choose to be ? or straight, since there are people who consider themselves Bi-sexual or Bi-curious. Not to mention all of these shows and blogs talking about how people use to be ? , but they no longer have those feelings. Explanation?

I'm saying though, did you choose to be straight? No, you didn't. You were young and you saw a fine ass girl and your ? jumped. Just like straight ? don't choose to be straight, ? ? don't choose to be ? . Like I said, the bolded doesn't exist. A ? will say ANYTHING to not be hated and looked down upon anymore. Especially if that comes with shame and embarrassment. But if you're ? ...you're ? . If you're straight...you're straight.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    JayToTheZ wrote: »
    Get you ? facts straight dude, acting feminine has nothing to do with being ? , AT ALL.

Actually acting feminine has EVERYTHING to do with being a ? male by general consensus. If ? males acted exactly like straight males, how could anyone tell the difference? Exactly, you couldn't. They would just be a regular dude who does his own thing behind close doors. The problem starts when these ? dudes run around trying to act like the opposite sex. That's when they're discriminated against.