Marvel vs. DC: A Winner is Chosen

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Quite Comical
It was the battle of battles. So who won?

Last month, IGN readers finally undertook an unprecedented mission. It was left in their hands to decide the one question that comic book fans have debated for decades: Marvel or DC?

In the categories of Heroes, Villains, Games, Movies, and TV, you voted on who reigned supreme. So who won? Let's break down the categories:

Heroes

Superman vs. Captain America. Batman vs. Wolverine. The fantasy match-ups we've all dreamed of. Who came out on top?

marvel-vs-dc-a-winner-is-chosen-20110810034300190.jpg

Winner: Marvel

Comments

• joshuaboy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Villains

Is the Joker more twisted than Doctor Doom? Can Apocalypse hold a candle to Darkseid? Here are the results:

marvel-vs-dc-a-winner-is-chosen-20110810034259128.jpg

Games

They've both had their share of triumphs. Batman: Arkham Asylum vs. X-Men Legends. And they've both had.. well, less successful forays into the digital realm. Superman 64 vs. Iron Man: The Movie Game, for example.

marvel-vs-dc-a-winner-is-chosen-20110810034259612.jpg

• joshuaboy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    TV

Which is more beloved, Batman: The Animated Series or the 1990's X-Men Animated Series? Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman or Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno's Incredible Hulk?

marvel-vs-dc-a-winner-is-chosen-20110810034258565.jpg

Winner: DC

Movies

This was the category that was won by a landslide. It pit The Dark Knight vs. Iron Man and Supergirl vs. Daredevil. Who came out the victor?

marvel-vs-dc-a-winner-is-chosen-20110810034257987.jpg
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2011
    Options

Overall Winner: MARVEL

marvel-vs-dc-a-winner-is-chosen-20110810035631888.jpg

Winning four out of the five categories, Marvel came out on top as the ultimate superhero universe as picked by the IGN readers. It was a war valiantly fought by both parties, but it was ultimately the House of Ideas that won the day.

Excelsior!

http://comics.ign.com/articles/118/1187272p1.html
  • AK.aPHillYisILL
    AK.aPHillYisILL Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Well I prefer Marvel over DC so thats whats up.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    marvel has more known superheros, like u have your top of the class wolverine, spidey,cap,ironman,hulk but u also have lesser known dudes (compared to the mentioned) daredevil, punisher, ghostrider etc.....with DC if you aint the Big 3, flash, green lanthern and afew others its rare they get shine
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    As a kid I prefered marvel... now I like DC more.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ill put it this way.

I like some marvel heroes, but i love the DC UNIVERSE.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    im a DC type of guy
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i like Marvel WAY more than DC , i cant stand majority of DC characters.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    its known marvel>>>>>>>>>dc
    i think on average dc cats seem to be stronger though, but there is always that one cat like a sentry or somebody that will murk a couple dc ? .
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Marvel has more villains wit big names over DC villians, while DC superheros has big names then Marvels....real talk more people know about aquaman then scott summers, i ? wit them both heavy....
  • dan_the_man.com
    dan_the_man.com Members Posts: 701
    edited August 2011
    Options
    marvel has better characters but dc has better stories..

u shouldve put a poll up..
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    both of them suck
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I love DC (or at least what DC used to be) but i'd be the first person to admit that Marvel is better in most aspects. Herowise, its arguable, but id actually say that DC has more iconic heroes.

DC villains suck for the most part and they only have one villain (Luthor) that approaches the complexity of Mags or Doom. And Marvel's second tier villains is where they really shine. Think about it: DC frequently has to go to the Luthor/Joker/Deathstroke/Darkseid/Crisis villains/Superman villains well, whereas secondtier Marvels like Thanos, Annihilus, Galactus, Kang, Ultron have gotten just as much if not more usage than the bigger villains of Marvel.

Movies: Marvel no question. Given their track record in the 90's who ever figured they'd be on the level they're on now?

Video Games: Marvel. The vs. series speaks for itself.

TV: This is the only category that DC clearly imo presides over because of the Dini/Timm Verse.
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    marvel has better characters but dc has better stories..

u shouldve put a poll up..

I just copied the article. I think it WAS decided by a poll.

But there could be a spinoff thread with a poll for the IC
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    no disrespect to DC

but i f with Marvel hard (no brokback)

the stories, the characters and the art...Marvel all day!
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Marvel for the win Alex
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Honestly how could you say anything other than Marvel. Only DC superhero I ever ? with(also happens to be my favorite of all time) is Batman. Other than that rest of them ? were always trash to me.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I can't co-sign some of the ish in this thread. The majority of DC's characters seem more realistic. Like Sion said I could actually picture seeing The Question, Batman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, etc. roaming the streets. As far as villians, Marvel got that. Movies TDK 80's Batman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Most Marvel films. As far as TV Shows I'll give that to Marvel as well even though Batman:TAS is damn near classic. As far as Video Games Arkham Asylum and City>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>majority of Marvel games NOT having to do with snk/capcom/etc.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    As a kid, I enjoyed DC and buying Batman & Superman comics all the time but as I got older, I started reading marvel more as I started to buy Spiderman, X-Men, & Wolverine comics and the stories were better. Now don't get me wrong both companies in the 90's had their epic heavy hitter stories but as the new decade approached Marvel just imo told better stories and knew how to execute them. I haven't bought a Superman comic in years b/c to be honest outside a few villains in his rogue's gallery (Darkseid, Doomsday, Luthor, & Zod) the rest of Superman's villains are wack to imo.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    I like DC cuz their heroes are more grounded in reality (to some extent). Like I could picture seeing Grendel or The Question roaming the streets at night n ? lolol. Marvel is cool too but got dayum I swear they be makin characters not know what to do with em & then ditch them right after SMH.

Now that I think about it, DC does have wayyy more unpowered super heroes than Marvel. Which is funny considering Marvel has always been considered more "realistic" than DC. But I guess what people mean is in terms of characterization, particularly the characters known for their pathos (i.e. spider man, the mutant issue, Iron Man, Hulk, Hank Pym, etc.).

But Grendel is indie, B.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    DC has always seemed extra campy to me even when they were trying to be serious marvel always has kepts its storylines in parallel to what was happening in the real world marvels heros and villians were way more complex and had levels that blurred the line where DC was mostly cut and Dry. Hands Down Marvel >>>>DC...
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ill put it this way.

I like some marvel heroes, but i love the DC UNIVERSE.
    im a DC type of guy

this right here... i cant even explain why i like DC more...
    i watch both when i was a kid but its something about batman(n/h)
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    I can't co-sign some of the ish in this thread. The majority of DC's characters seem more realistic. Like Sion said I could actually picture seeing The Question, Batman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, etc. roaming the streets. As far as villians, Marvel got that. Movies TDK 80's Batman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Most Marvel films. As far as TV Shows I'll give that to Marvel as well even though Batman:TAS is damn near classic. As far as Video Games Arkham Asylum and City>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>majority of Marvel games NOT having to do with snk/capcom/etc.

Near ? ??? The big reason why Batman Arkham Asylum was noticed was because they said they had the voice actors and the writers from the Animated Series on it... Its sold what it sold because it was a good game...

If Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are not voice acting Joker and Batman on anything related to Batman... people are not interested...

The series has been alive for 15 years even when Japanese Anime was at a all time high in the States (from Batman TAS to JLU)

Batman TAS is a classic and DC cartoons >>>>> Marvel
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Near ? ??? The big reason why Batman Arkham Asylum was noticed was because they said they had the voice actors and the writers from the Animated Series on it... Its sold what it sold because it was a good game...

If Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are not voice acting Joker and Batman on anything related to Batman... people are not interested...

The series has been alive for 15 years even when Japanese Anime was at a all time high in the States (from Batman TAS to JLU)

Batman TAS is a classic and DC cartoons >>>>> Marvel

The ? ? I wrote that? Cosign this statement