Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings: I Learned the Hard Way

Options
Age187
Age187 Members Posts: 72
edited March 2011 in Reviewably Incorrect
Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings are one of the most unique groups in the R&B scene. They're not just a throwback to 60's soul music; they make 60's soul music. A more funky version of Gladys Knight and the Pips, Sharon Jones stars as the lead vocalist, and is never less than excellent. While many R&B singers stay pretty cool throughout their songs, Jones' throaty, hoarse singing style never pulls any punches. She belts over every track, fully stretching out her vocal capabilities, and it's immensely satisfying soul. I Learned the Hard Way completely ignores Neo-Soul trends for a completely authentic Soul Revivalism. But Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings don't just revisit a dead musical style; they take soul in new and innovating musical directions. I Learned the Hard Way wouldn't quite fit in with old soul music, but it would stand with any of the best records of that era.

Of course, all of Sharon Jones' vocal talents and nostalgia combined wouldn't be worth noting if it weren't for The Dap Kings, who are an incredible soul band in any era. They fit Jones' freewheeling vocals like a glove, constantly improvising within songs, and throwing out ad libs, pauses and choruses that perfectly follow the vocals.

I Learned the Hard Way shows a tremendous amount of growth since their last album, 100 Days and 100 Nights. Not only is the music much more varied and unpredictable, it diverges in style to incorporate more blues themes and sounds. This works beautifully with their already booming soul style, as it adds an amazing amount of depth to every nuance in the album.

Read more>>>

Comments

• Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I didn't know anybody else knew about this group. 100 Days, 100 Nights IS THE JAM!!!!

Props!
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Tha Killer wrote: »
    I didn't know anybody else knew about this group. 100 Days, 100 Nights IS THE JAM!!!!

Props!
    That song is dope, ? is hot.
    She has another joint too where she uses a james brown sample, I have it on my comp @ home, cant' thnkg of the name off hand right now
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I just cop this album too!

And I'm in love with it!

It just sings tony soul ya'll!!

Tacks 1,2,3 and 4! And the last one..

Man, folks need tobuy this like right now! LOL.

Love it love it!
  • Tupacfan
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Tha Killer wrote: »

Props!

Yo killa!

These guys are slept on!

I love the dap kings! How they ochestrated their music and shron jones is just sick! Love her music!
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That song is dope, ? is hot.
    She has another joint too where she uses a james brown sample, I have it on my comp @ home, cant' thnkg of the name off hand right now

I've been slackin' on coppin' their first couple of albums, but I definitely won't slack on gettin' this joint. Even their Christmas song was hot. Ain't No Chimneys in the Projects would have been my anthem growin' up if that had came out in the early '90s
    tupacfan wrote: »
    Yo killa!

These guys are slept on!

I love the dap kings! How they ochestrated their music and shron jones is just sick! Love her music!

Wassup lovely Ms. 'Pacfan?

Everything about this group makes me feel their music through the depths of my being. It's a perfect homage to the music we all grew up listening to but wished we could have been alive to see during the time of its conception. Ms. Jones and the Dap-Kings give us an opportunity to go back to the '50s, '60s, and '70s to listen to history in the making. This is the only group I'd say that they are not only ahead of their time, but behind it as well. The first time I listened to one of their songs was like the greatest Jedi Mind Trick one could ever experience.

I hope people don't sleep on this group. I really do.
  • Tupacfan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Throwing up some video's from this album.. cause im listening to it right now!
  • KEITH.MAX
    KEITH.MAX Members Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Everything about this group makes me feel their music through the depths of my being. It's a perfect homage to the music we all grew up listening to but wished we could have been alive to see during the time of its conception. Ms. Jones and the Dap-Kings give us an opportunity to go back to the '50s, '60s, and '70s to listen to history in the making. This is the only group I'd say that they are not only ahead of their time, but behind it as well. The first time I listened to one of their songs was like the greatest Jedi Mind Trick one could ever experience.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    this group gets alot of cover in rolling stones, people and a few other mags i was just making a wishlist with them on it.