Watch the Throne vs. Distant Relatives

Options

Comments

• jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I see ShadyTeam has a new alter ego. But I'm not gonna put your new name on blast becuz i'm sure ? on here knows who I'm talking about. Lol at ? saying Nas aint doing nuttin for Africa. I swear some people here just say false chit just to anger catz. But hey to each its own.
  • blazn101
    blazn101 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i think both albums cater to who they wanna represent
    WTT didn't just have Jay and YE braggin
    they had some messages also
    but i'm a fan of both so...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bigavelli wrote: »
    Distant Relatives is the much better Album

Superior Content, superior Lyrics and much better Production

Replay value is low on Watch The Throne

Jonas.dini wrote: »
    I didn't like WTT at first, but it grew on me.... DR >>>>>>>>> tho

• garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Cosign

Lmao I swear to ? I said this ? last week

NOBODY in the hood on the block at parties,at colleges,in their car bumps nas

Not a soul in my city bumps distant relatives or untitled

EVER

thats my word nas is only worshiped online not offline

Why Jay-Z album better unnh? It made you fantasize about taking trips to Paris unnh, wearing Audemars unnh. When in reality your getting shot in your leg, your group of friends are being killed off with no retaliation, your challenging strangers to fight over the internet and your flashing 200 dollars in attempts top prove your ballin. So while you listening to ? In Paris, for one moment you forget that you actually are a clown who comes on the IC tp ask if you should take up a 'lucrative' sales assistant job at Walmart.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    The album where the 2 artist rapped about money which they have proved to have > The album about Africa where the two artist ain't really in Africa doing ? to help

Sounds like somebody white-washed your little brain.

Nas has spent the last year championing causes in Africa while you were at home playing photo-shop with cartoon ducks.

Are you offended by a culturally relevant project that shows love to a black mans homeland and overjoyed by a euorcentric project with Ni99ers in Paris living so Italian??

You been bamboozled.
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Sounds like somebody white-washed your little brain.

Nas has spent the last year championing causes in Africa while you were at home playing photo-shop with cartoon ducks.

Are you offended by a culturally relevant project that shows love to a black mans homeland and overjoyed by a euorcentric project with Ni99ers in Paris living so Italian??

You been bamboozled.

I agree with this to a degree. Nas trying to uplift, inspire and educate the minds.

But Jay (and Kanye) actually trying to do the same in his own odd way. To inspire folks to believe that you can come from where he come from and achieve success in this 'whiteman's world's' but Jay believes the only way to do this is get that paper, achieve success=power, then you can really influence change like Oprah, Jay, Russell, Will Smith, Tyler Perry. The idea of MLK vs Malcolm all over again.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i've never seen a rapper who's an actual artist and tries new things get ? on so much, while people praise another rapper being uncreative and doing the same ? over and over and over. *eminem voice* this ? doesn't make sense b........
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    gifted wrote: »
    I agree with this to a degree. Nas trying to uplift, inspire and educate the minds.

But Jay (and Kanye) actually trying to do the same in his own odd way. To inspire folks to believe that you can come from where he come from and achieve success in this 'whiteman's world's' but Jay believes the only way to do this is get that paper, achieve success=power, then you can really influence change like Oprah, Jay, Russell, Will Smith, Tyler Perry. The idea of MLK vs Malcolm all over again.

CS all the way..Too bad such social critiques are lost on the Reason
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i'd take distant relatives over wtt. just seems like some ? imma be listenin to more in the future
  • Toothpik
    Toothpik Members Posts: 192
    edited August 2011
    Options
    WTT all the way...DR is super boring...plus nas got absolutely destroyed by damian marley....smh at yall callin nas the goat mc and the dude gets ? on in almost every song by a reggae artist...

WTT wildly entertaining, great production...
  • dan_the_man.com
    dan_the_man.com Members Posts: 701
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Cosign

Distant relatives = ambien on steroids

ur white, right?
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nah Im black

lol how people are so ignorant they assume you ain't black because u didn't like distance relatives. ? is pathetic.
  • gifted
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Toothpik wrote: »
    WTT all the way...DR is super boring...plus nas got absolutely destroyed by damian marley....smh at yall callin nas the goat mc and the dude gets ? on in almost every song by a reggae artist...

WTT wildly entertaining, great production...

I could never understand folks who think Nas's musci is boring. That one always boggles the mind but to each his own. But again, the real know that musically, Nas is the GOAT (at least one of the GOATs if prefer) and one of the few rappers that his music and catalogue speaks for himself. But truth be told, Nas been the GOAT ever since It was written to me. Illmatic showed that he could one day be GOAT but It was written left little doubt in my mind. Sure he has quite some missteps along the way but on his A game, most of his peers know that he's the one. But yes Distant Relatives was too dope because the production was great as well, Damian Marley complimented Nas extremely well and yes outperformed Nas on some songs (but like I said it felt more like a Damian album featuring Nas) so that was ok. But more importantly, it spoke on a range of issues and was uplifting and not preachy and still entertaining, which is extremely difficult to do.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited August 2011
    Options
    gifted wrote: »

I honestly dont see Will Smith & Tyler Perry influencing change outside of their Cross-dressing and ? -sex scenes......two emasculated buffoons that I cant relate to.

Plenty of rappers have "paper" and they dont have to wear Argyle scarfs, kiss Chris Martin, or make "Ghetto Techno" to influence the people and influence change.

You might be a half-a-billionaire but the Cracka still has his hand in your pocket because he DISTRIBUTES the CD's and aint nan one of these Black rap millionaire's got the ? to undercut the white-boy when it comes to distribution.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol how people are so ignorant they assume you ain't black because u didn't like distance relatives. ? is pathetic.

You are pathetic.

Invisible avatars get called out every day... you might be a Black man with a white boys mentality thus you might be labeled 'White".

the Internet is a bastion for anonymous entities so if you have an issue with how people label you then maybe you should reveal your identity or ? and remain anonymous.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Live instrumentation >>>
  • dan_the_man.com
    edited August 2011
    Options
    no im not saying jus bcuz ur black duznt mean u hav to enjoy tha album. jus sayin nas didnt make it a secret what the album was about, u say u dont like reggae yet u took the time out to listen to it knowing full & well u wouldnt like it..
  • dan_the_man.com
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Word

Thats exactly why I post the way I do in the reason this forum a joke

no im not saying jus bcuz ur black duznt mean u hav to enjoy tha album. jus sayin nas didnt make it a secret what the album was about, u say u dont like reggae yet u took the time out to listen to it knowing full & well u wouldnt like it..
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2011
    Options

You are pathetic.

Invisible avatars get called out every day... you might be a Black man with a white boys mentality thus you might be labeled 'White".

the Internet is a bastion for anonymous entities so if you have an issue with how people label you then maybe you should reveal your identity or ? and remain anonymous.

ya ya ya. You say the same thing over and over about revealing your self and providing a pic. i don't have to prove anything to this board bruh. You don't know me and i don't know u so keep it that way.

you cool in all and i respect your cultural awarness but let your ego go for once
  • dan_the_man.com
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I listen to nas tho,thats why I checked it and it was trash

i guess u weren't ready for the message he was trying to convey smh..

good luck brother..
  • gifted
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I honestly dont see Will Smith & Tyler Perry influencing change outside of their Cross-dressing and ? -sex scenes......two emasculated buffoons that I cant relate to.

Plenty of rappers have "paper" and they dont have to wear Argyle scarfs, kiss Chris Martin, or make "Ghetto Techno" to influence the people and influence change.

You might be a half-a-billionaire but the Cracka still has his hand in your pocket because he DISTRIBUTES the CD's and aint nan one of these Black rap millionaire's got the ? to undercut the white-boy when it comes to distribution.

I never said I agreed with their lifestyle or choices but I can understand more the financial empowerment principle of Jay, Oprah and them lot because they are going by the old age adage that you can only change the system from within and that CREAM rules America and in effect the world. Tyler Perry (I hate most of his movies) seems to be the only few giving black actors work. Oprah, Jay and hip-hop's influence help do the unthinkable- elect a black (biracial) president in the USA. That can't be denied. That is power, financial power, and that could only have happened because they infiltrated the system.
  • FrankOceanIsGay
    FrankOceanIsGay Members Posts: 402
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This is the first of multiple cds from jay and kanye...
  • blazn101
    blazn101 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I listen to nas tho,thats why I checked it and it was trash

didn't know you listen to nas, every thread that has to do with him you seem to dislike him and his music.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No competition. Distant relatives smashes that ? . Better instrumentation, tighter verse,and actually was about more than flossing and showing off. Patience and friends trump that whole album.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    WTT for me. Nas gets boring at times and I don't like reggae apart from the occassional Bob Marley song. Not a matter of album quality, just a matter of personal taste. The reggae thing is the biggest factor here.