Why You Won't Be Shooting Innocents in Battlefield 3

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in IllGaming
Exec producer says games should grow up.

While many action and shooting games allow the gamer to gun down innocent civilians, Battlefield 3 won't be among them.

The game's executive producer Patrick Bach has been talking about the practical and moral difficulties of allowing players to ? innocents, or alternatively, of barring them from absolute freedom. He told Rock, Paper, Shotgun, "I'm trying to stay away from civilians in games like BF because I think people will do bad. I don't want to see videos on the internet where people shoot civilians. That's something I will sanitize by removing that feature from the game."

He added, "In a game where it's more authentic, when you have a gun in your hand and a child in front of you what would happen? Well the player would probably shoot that child. But we would be the ones to be blamed. We have to build our experiences so we don't put the player in experiences where they can do bad things."

Many shooting games have allowed the player to gun down civilians, most notoriously in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's 'No Russians' level, in which the player is free to shoot fleeing people in an airport firefight.

Bach said that restraining the violence "doesn't mean that I don't want people to feel that war is not good" He added, "We are trying to do something that is more mature. Mature not being gore; some people confuse the two. That's childish actually, to want more blood. I think games need to grow up a bit. They will grow with gamers. There will always be games for children, but I want games for grown-ups, games I can play. As long as I'm in the business I will make games that I want to play."

Comments