What will happen once America vetoes the Palestinians bid for statehood next week?

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Social Lounge
U.S. Takes Lonely Path In Opposing All Forms Of Palestinian Recognition

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/us-opposing-palestinian-recognition_n_965118.html

It comes as no surprise that the U.S., a longtime ally of Israel, has pledged to oppose the Palestinian statehood bid. If the Palestinians seek formal recognition of their state in the U.N. Security Council, the U.S. has promised to veto the measure. If they instead ask for informal "observer" status in the U.N. General Assembly, the U.S. is enlisting allies to vote against it -- even though by all accounts Palestinians have the votes to win.

But in its vehemence to fight every form of recognition for the Palestinians, analysts say the U.S. has also highlighted its unique position within the international community on the subject of Israel -- and possibly its marginalization.

"You are going to be isolated with us in a very visible way," Shlomo Ben-Ami, a former Israeli foreign minister who is now vice president of the Toledo International Centre for Peace in Madrid, said of the American tack on next week's proceedings.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Will terrorism increase? Will people in the Middle East region hate us more than they do already?

My personal opinion is all of the above, and the Libyan rebels will turn against us. Gas and oil prices will go up, and Israel will feel even more emboldened to steal more land and water from Palestinians. Israel will become more powerful than ever, at the expense of America growing weaker in that region. Am I wrong?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thank ? that Babylon still supports Israel. The day we don't will be the day when all the prophecies about Babylon the great will be fulfilled.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    They'll go to the GA instead and get observer status... article answered your question for you
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thank ? that Babylon still supports Israel. The day we don't will be the day when all the prophecies about Babylon the great will be fulfilled.

So we should continue supporting Israel stealing land and water from the Palestinians, just because the Bible says so?

Should we bring slavery back to? The Bible supports that as well, on top of the brutal beating of slaves.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yo I just gotta drop back in and say, I'm freakin psyched for the Palestinians... I know it isn't gonna solve their problems and there may be some ugliness in the short term, but man I've been watching this ? since I was a kid and it is great to finally see some progress on the horizon
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So we should continue supporting Israel stealing land and water from the Palestinians, just because the Bible says so?

Should we bring slavery back to? The Bible supports that as well, on top of the brutal beating of slaves.

The palestinians never owned the land. If you researched history you would know this. The land belongs to Israel. Point blank, end of story.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Bible prophecy is lining up with real world events. So the bigger picture is definitely coming into focus. But of course only those with eyes to see can really see what's going on. I pray for those that are blind that they may see! Amen.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Pfft, the israeli government make me sick with their apartheid... and I'm not one of these ? who hates jews or for that matter Israel as a nation (although I disapprove of any religious state)... but using the bible and the holocaust as grounds to oppress the ? out of people, that literally disgusts me
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Pfft, the israeli government make me sick with their apartheid... and I'm not one of these ? who hates jews or for that matter Israel as a nation (although I disapprove of any religious state)... but using the bible and the holocaust as grounds to oppress the ? out of people, that literally disgusts me

Cosign to the fullest. If Israel owned the land from the beginning, why did they have to forcibly remove people from their land after Israel was created? Also, why are they STILL stealing land and water from Palestinians, after their territories have been established? Using the Bible to justify evil of any sort is the kind of thing that kept Blacks in slavery for 300 years. I can do without the Bible and without apartheid, especially in the year 2011. Both are outdated ideas.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/china-paper-warns-us-against-palestinian-un-veto-073727408.html

China paper warns US against Palestinian UN veto

A Chinese state-run newspaper on Friday warned of a spike in tensions in the Middle East if the United States vetoed the Palestinian bid for membership of the United Nations next week.

As peace talks with Israel stall, Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas is expected to formally submit a request for UN membership next Friday, despite strong objections from Washington that the move would be "counter-productive."

"If the US chooses to fly in the face of world opinion and block the Palestine UN bid next week, not only will Israel become more isolated but tensions in the region will be heightened even more," said the China Daily.

"The majority of the international community deems an independent state as the inalienable right of the Palestinians," the English-language daily said in an editorial, echoing Beijing's official position on the issue.

----And America wants to be on the wrong side of history, especially now??? Why?? Why does Israel have so much damn power over American govt? Is it worth more terrorism and hatred to save Israel's ass all the time?? I now see why America supported apartheid in South Africa for so long, money and more money. I hope the Palestinian people get used to this, I don't think they will ever get their own nation. Palestinians are screwed until the end of time.
  • Jonas.dini
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'll tell you what, if Obama were to not veto this he would really win me back over, even despite all the other ? with the economy and whatnot... I think that's very unlikely tho
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ugh i need to watch the news more wtf is happening?!
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'll tell you what, if Obama were to not veto this he would really win me back over, even despite all the other ? with the economy and whatnot... I think that's very unlikely tho

Bible Belt in the US would be forever gone to him
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The palestinians never owned the land. If you researched history you would know this. The land belongs to Israel. Point blank, end of story.

And Isarel is not in Cannan, NOW STOP YOUR LIES AND SPEAK TRUTH
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    How is the US in a position of authority to have a say so in the matter?
  • Jonas.dini
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    How is the US in a position of authority to have a say so in the matter?

Um... because US is the world's primary super power.

More specifically, US was one of the winners of WW2 and as such holds a permanent seat on the Security Council, which gives it veto power. To get full statehood the palestinians would have to pass through the security council, and US will veto. But to get nonvoter observer-state status, as opposed to the observer-entity status that they have now, all they need is 2/3 of the general assembly to give them the yes vote and permanent SC states can't veto it.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Um... because US is the world's primary super power.

More specifically, US was one of the winners of WW2 and as such holds a permanent seat on the Security Council, which gives it veto power. To get full statehood the palestinians would have to pass through the security council, and US will veto. But to get nonvoter observer-state status, as opposed to the observer-entity status that they have now, all they need is 2/3 of the general assembly to give them the yes vote and permanent SC states can't veto it.

Thx for the breakdown, i just dont get how they have the final say so on the matter, super power or not, wheres the democracy in that? yeah, from what ive gathered observer state staus is what they are likely to walk away with. That veto will have some serious effects on the united states relationships with developing countries who are in favor of Palestine's statehood. If America is the land of the free, then why would it block the very same thing the Palestinians are fighting for?
  • Jonas.dini
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    Thx for the breakdown, i just dont get how they have the final say so on the matter, super power or not, wheres the democracy in that? yeah, from what ive gathered observer state staus is what they are likely to walk away with. That veto will have some serious effects on the united states relationships with developing countries who are in favor of Palestine's statehood. If America is the land of the free, then why would it block the very same thing the Palestinians are fighting for?

Well, first of all I agree with you that it isn't right and it isn't democratic.

Second the reasons are many... Some people focus on the all powerful Israeli lobby (check the book The Israeli Lobby by Mearsheimer and Walt for a nuanced explanation from poli sci scholars, or just wait for one of these bonehead posters come in here and tell you that jews rule the world from a secret cave under the New York Times building, mwahahahaha), another interconnected reason is that the US electorate is full of evangelical christians who want the Israelis to conquer the whole of biblical Israel so that messianic Christian prophesy can come to fruition. Then there is the whole balance of power argument, which basically says that Israel is an extension of US military power and any emasculation of its territorial ambitions is tantamount to surrendering US power in the region.

Personally I don't think any one of these reasons is THE one, it is a combination of these and others.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options

I agree it would win me over too, it would show the world that he is on the side of justice and freedom for all people, not just those who have the money and power to take what they want. I would even look past the Afghanistan war, which is the biggest reason I won't vote for Obama next year but sadly he's all about politics and making constituencies happy. Not sure we want to aggravate the Arab world now, especially with all the wars going on but I can always count on America to shoot itself in the arm to make a political point. In this case, the point is, Israel is the 51st state and it can do what it wants.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    Bible Belt in the US would be forever gone to him

True, probably the biggest reason America will forever prevent Palestinians from getting their own nation. As far as the Bible Belt is concerned, all the Palestinian territories by default belongs to Israel and should be able to build as many illegal settlements as they want. What a shame these people don't realize this issue is directly responsible for the extreme hatred of America in the Middle East, or maybe they just don't care? Either way this is gonna cost us in the long run, get ready for increased Al-Qaeda membership and longer wars after we veto a Palestinian state next week. Pathetic.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Well, first of all I agree with you that it isn't right and it isn't democratic.

Second the reasons are many... Some people focus on the all powerful Israeli lobby (check the book The Israeli Lobby by Mearsheimer and Walt for a nuanced explanation from poli sci scholars, or just wait for one of these bonehead posters come in here and tell you that jews rule the world from a secret cave under the New York Times building, mwahahahaha), another interconnected reason is that the US electorate is full of evangelical christians who want the Israelis to conquer the whole of biblical Israel so that messianic Christian prophesy can come to fruition. Then there is the whole balance of power argument, which basically says that Israel is an extension of US military power and any emasculation of its territorial ambitions is tantamount to surrendering US power in the region.

kool, i'll check that book in my downtime. just the thought of keeping those people oppressed is sickening. they have nowhere to go, they're essentially trapped. this has been going on long before America was a thought, and being Israel's strong Ally, that bid is DOA. An unbiased party should have the final say so, but this is what happens when you mix politics w/religion. ? is depressing.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ridiculous. Arabs and Jews have been fighting over "Palestine" for a very long time. If Arabs are so hot over the Palestinians struggle, than why don't they accommodate them in the land that they own, which they posses in a territory in the Middle East that is about 150 times larger than that of Israel.

Besides all that. The fact remains that the earth belongs to ? . It is His property. He created it, and has held full ownership of it before humans ever existed. ? appointed the bounds of all the nations and the peoples before any of us where even brought into existance. But of course people, who don't know ? , refuse to accept this fact. Even though we are all just 'johnny come latelys' on the scene.

? says that all The Land Of Canaan Belongs To Abraham's Descendants. And those descendants are the children of Israel, who are heirs to the promise.

"No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come forth from you. And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be ? to you and to your descendants after you. And I will give to you, and to your descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their ? ." (Genesis 17:5-8)

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ridiculous. Arabs and Jews have been fighting over "Palestine" for a very long time. If Arabs are so hot over the Palestinians struggle, than why don't they accommodate them in the land that they own, which they posses in a territory in the Middle East that is about 150 times larger than that of Israel.

Besides all that. The fact remains that the earth belongs to ? . It is His property. He created it, and has held full ownership of it before humans ever existed. ? appointed the bounds of all the nations and the peoples before any of us where even brought into existance. But of course people, who don't know ? , refuse to accept this fact. Even though we are all just 'johnny come latelys' on the scene.

? says that all The Land Of Canaan Belongs To Abraham's Descendants. And those descendants are the children of Israel, who are heirs to the promise.

"No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come forth from you. And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be ? to you and to your descendants after you. And I will give to you, and to your descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their ? ." (Genesis 17:5-8)

so after they loss it for all those centuries, they're suppose to get it back?
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2011
    Options

You want a group of poor countries in the Middle East to absorb millions of Palestinians? They can barely take care of their own people, how can they accommodate more than a million more? And besides, there are already many Palestinian refugees in Arab nations. Israel was wrong to kick so many Palestinians out of their homes in the 1940s, and it is doubly wrong for stealing land that an old book says is theres. Triple wrong for demolishing tons of apartments and homes of Palestinians as Israel builds Jewish only settlements. You're stuck on the Bible which is fine, but just understand your book is helping to create more hate and terrorism in the world.
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    And Isarel is not in Cannan, NOW STOP YOUR LIES AND SPEAK TRUTH

[/INDENT]

cant front. he got you right there...