Why Don't People Want Usher To Grow Up??

Options
Miltown Marauder
Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Usher has got to be almost 30, and he's STILL making pop songs! IMO "Here I Stand" was a good move for him, it's like everybody want him to still be Teen Usher.

Comments

• Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Madonna been well over 30 and she continues to make pop music so what's the issue? MJ made Pop songs when he was well over 30 as well. Janet still does. Why does it matter that someone does Pop when they're 30 or almost 30 even if it sounds good. I'm not seeing the issue if he's making the music he wants to make.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How did this ? go from selling 10 mil to barely going platinum, are his female fans really that shallow (the fact he got married and had a kid)?
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    how did this ? go from selling 10 mil to barely going platinum, are his female fans really that shallow (the fact he got married and had a kid)?

exactly!!!!!!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Justin stole his thunder with LOVESEX... (Bringing Sexyback LOL)

After dropping the monster hit that was Confessions... he sort of ran out of ideas...

And ? has a thing for older women...Not very good judgement...
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    How did this ? go from selling 10 mil to barely going platinum, are his female fans really that shallow (the fact he got married and had a kid)?

That last album was trash.

He sounds like someone trying to sound like Usher now. I haven't given up on him yet but he's making bs music. I have no issue with a Grown & Sexy Usher. I'd love for him to hook up with Donnel Jones.

? Usher? Realfareal???
  • divorcecourse
    divorcecourse Members Posts: 28
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That last album was trash.

He sounds like someone trying to sound like Usher now. I haven't given up on him yet but he's making bs music. I have no issue with a Grown & Sexy Usher. I'd love for him to hook up with Donnel Jones.

? Usher? Realfareal???

C/S. Albums straight wiggidy wiggidy wack! Word to Kris Kross nah mean. We all know the best R&B/Hip-hop/Rap music is from independent artists.
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the album isnt nearly as bad as reading some of these posts would lead you to belive... Pro Lover is amazing, timeless, etc. etc.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Confession" was the last male RnB album to go DIAMOND since MJ did it in the 80's. That album was so Big that he will never live up to those expectations again. I also think sadly once he got married and had kids the females did turn on him. Girls can be so shallow sometimes it was like in their fantasies they wanted Usher and now he's not theirs. Plus it's common knowledge in the industry most male pop and rnb stars must be single cause the females are buying the albums. So it's not that they don't want him to grow up it was that they just wanted him to be single. It's sad what happen to Ushers' career cause he was just trying to live life and it back fired and hurt his sales. He will only be going Platinum the rest of his career. He won't see Confession numbers again. Also Justin did not steal his thunder cause "Confessions" outsold Justin's solo career 3x's over.
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Also Justin did not steal his thunder cause "Confessions" outsold Justin's solo career 3x's over.

I'm not talking about record sales...

Everyone knows these two were in competition with each other...

He just couldn't find that magic that worked on Confessions...
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Yeah" was THE song of 2004. Dude singles were getting ridiculous amount of airplay, but the album was just garbage imo...8701 destroys it. Matter a fact, he was single with that album.
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Yeah" was THE song of 2004. Dude singles were getting ridiculous amount of airplay, but the album was just garbage imo...8701 destroys it. Matter a fact, he was single with that album.

8701 >>> Confessions... but ain't no way Confessions is garbage
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yeah it was. Only good songs where Confessions 1, That's What Its Made For, and Can You Handle It..the rest sound like he was still trying to do "My Way 2
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    8701 >>> Confessions... but ain't no way Confessions is garbage

No, "Confessions" is one of the best RnB albums of this generation. Again how many male RnB albums have gone Diamond? See MJJ cause he was the only one to do it. As well as Prince but that was a soundtrack. From this era, "Confessions" is the RnB album that suprasses many. He had it all on that record. "8701" was good also, actually Usher 3 albums after his debut were untouchable. But "Confessions" is the album that will stand the test of time. That album is why people say he's the heir to MJJ crown (Even though MJJ's crown is still on his head).
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited April 2010
    Options
    your comparing sales to quality. Test of time? That album is very forgettable!
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2010
    Options
    No, "Confessions" is one of the best RnB albums of this generation. Again how many male RnB albums have gone Diamond? See MJJ cause he was the only one to do it. As well as Prince but that was a soundtrack. From this era, "Confessions" is the RnB album that suprasses many. He had it all on that record. "8701" was good also, actually Usher 3 albums after his debut were untouchable. But "Confessions" is the album that will stand the test of time. That album is why people say he's the heir to MJJ crown (Even though MJJ's crown is still on his head).

To me its a bit like MJ's Off The Wall and Thriller...

In Sales, Thriller >>> OTW

but musically, OTW >>> Thriller
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Why do people equate boring with being grown???Because that's exactly what Here I Stand was boring nothing grown up about that ? .
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    To me its a bit like MJ's Off The Wall and Thriller...

In Sales, Thriller >>> OTW

but musically, OTW >>> Thriller

I strongly disagree there aint a song on OTW better than Human Nature or Lady in My Life.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    @still-SBP
    I agree with u, Thriller only had 9 songs on it and 7 of the songs became successful singles.
    How many people can say that basically their whole album was hit singles?
    That is crazy, only 9 songs and 7 singles go platinum, nobody can say that and nobody ever will.
    "Wanna Be Startin Somethin", "Human Nature", "Lady In My Life", "Thriller", "Billie Jean", Beat It" and "P.Y.T." went platinum while. "The Girl Is Mine" and "Baby Be Mine" went gold.

But people do need to let Usher grow up, he can't be a player forever, unlike Diddy, Usher wants a wife.
    He did take to long to come back out and that was the only problem because while he was out Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Omarion, Marques Houston, J.Holiday and Justin Timberlake were putting out hits, so the audience that was Usher fans got older and started to go after R.Kelly more, Raphael Saadiq more, Charlie Wilson more, Musiq more and Joe more. So when he came back, it was a whole new audience and he wasn't getting to them.
    That's why he came out with more Pop sounding music for this album, it's working I see so many girls loving his songs, my lil female cousins love "Lil Freak", "There Goes My Baby", "More", "Hey Daddy", "She Don't Know", "? " and "So Many Girls", they sang that ? all day long!
    He knows that he has to keep up but, some people need to let him grow up and mature, dude has 2 sons now.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    theres nothing wrong with usher making pop songs, i like the new usher,but he's not making the songs,he use to make like in the confessions era.

usher use to make them albums ? the game up,now he's making albums,people questioning him

does he still got it?
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Confessions is a classic album.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    let the man live
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2010
    Options
    still-SBP wrote: »
    Why do people equate boring with being grown???Because that's exactly what Here I Stand was boring nothing grown up about that ? .

Co-signs, I understand why "Here I Stand" barely went Platinum. There were some weak songs on there, Usher was clearly not in his zone on that record:

Raymond Vs Raymond > Here I Stand

And that's not saying much. Usher's last two have been pretty forgettable sadly and I love Usher but he needs to step it up. "Raymond Vs Raymond" was a step in the right direction but he's not quite there yet. I love "? " though, I think that's going to be a #1 single cause it's tearing the clubs up, it's the perfect club record. Will I am killed that beat.
  • rapmastermind
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I just checked the Billboard and looks like I was right, "? " is now #6 on the charts and it's climbing fast. Damn, Black Eye Peas cannot be stopped. They gave Usher a banger, that could of easily been a BEP song but it works for Usher. I heard it in the club the other night and I hit the dance floor fast. That song is the perfect club record cause it really gets you moving and the chours is dope. I hope Usher shocks some of the haters and this song go #1 cause everyone thought "Papers", "Hey Daddy" and "Lil Freak" were better singles that should of gone #1 but they didn't. "? " is now the most successful single from the album. Usher going for his 9th #1 song.
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited April 2010
    Options
    but that's the thing, yeah, Here I Stand might of been pretty weak, but I'm talking as far as CONTENT. The title song to "Here I Stand" is by far Top 5 Usher songs of all time. How many ? "club bangers" are you going to keep creating? "? "? Come on now, get off that!
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    but that's the thing, yeah, Here I Stand might of been pretty weak, but I'm talking as far as CONTENT. The title song to "Here I Stand" is by far Top 5 Usher songs of all time. How many ? "club bangers" are you going to keep creating? "? "? Come on now, get off that!

Well, he should make an album with good content that doesn't bore us to death. Here I Stand just wasn't good to me. I often go and listen to it again when someone says it was a great album, but I still have the same opinion. He shouldn't go with club bangers either. There can be a happy medium, i.e Maxwell.