Black Thought or Nas?

Options
Serious Juice Mayne
Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Face Off Forum
My vote goes to black

Comments

• Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nasir is the GOAT, black thought top 20
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nas got more impact but the whole book of work .... Idk about that man
  • babel
    babel Members Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Good one! I'ma have to go with Thought on this one.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nas. Black Thought ain't that nice to me. He's just a solid emcee but he's never "wow'd" me.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Dam this one hard but Nas> thought overall artist but Str8 flow and wordplay Thought murkin niccas
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'd rather hear a new Roots album than a new Nas album.

Strictly rapping and making music. Without talking about impact, sales and catalogs, I gotta go with Black Thought.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nas by far. nas is the GOAT, Thought is just good.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    you can't just make "vs nas" threads just to get a plat thread.
  • mustaf_ali06
    mustaf_ali06 Members Posts: 9
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Good question. Both are dope lyricists, but while I've never heard Thought say a wack line, I would give the slight edge to Nas because of his impact on the game.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Black Thought. by a hair.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Both are in my top 5. My vote goes to Nas though. Props on including Thought, he doesn't get enough props in The Reason.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    goin wit nas on this one
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I like Black Thought more atleast with the last few albums
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nas is the only emcee that's actually better than Black Thought in my eyes. Everyone else, Black Thought is just as good, if not better.
  • glenclose
    glenclose Members Posts: 22
    edited September 2011
    Options
    nas has a more cerebral career but thought just hits it right everytime. i lean towards nas but it close
  • Idoitforhiphop
    Idoitforhiphop Members Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options
    At the end of the day, gotta go with Nas. Though something tells me the new album isn't going to be that great.
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I.dont think nas can out rap black ... Roots cd >nas cds (includin illimatic)
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nas but justttt.........

I wouldnt get mad if someone said Black Thought is a better emcee than Olu Dara...
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nas.

funny thing is I just made a best of....the Roots playlist on my ipod (damn near 35 tracks!)

and came to the conclusion that nice if Thought is on the mic

at the end of the day he is just Questlove's "mouth piece" and really has know outside personality besides being just that.

It's a shame to. I would have loved to hear a Black Thought solo, to get to know this brother better. Which would been great is recented around 98-2000. when the Roots were really hitting it out the park.
  • hide321
    hide321 Members Posts: 22
    edited September 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    Nas.

funny thing is I just made a best of....the Roots playlist on my ipod (damn near 35 tracks!)

and came to the conclusion that nice if Thought is on the mic

at the end of the day he is just Questlove's "mouth piece" and really has know outside personality besides being just that.

It's a shame to. I would have loved to hear a Black Thought solo, to get to know this brother better. Which would been great is recented around 98-2000. when the Roots were really hitting it out the park.

That last comment confuses me. It suggests that the Roots haven't progressed as artists (which they have). The
    The last 3 Roots albums have been among the best music they've ever released. And Black Thought nowadays >> Black Thought. 98-2000.
  • a.mann
    edited September 2011
    Options
    hide321 wrote: »
    That last comment confuses me. It suggests that the Roots haven't progressed as artists (which they have). The
    The last 3 Roots albums have been among the best music they've ever released. And Black Thought nowadays >> Black Thought. 98-2000.

nah, IMO the last "honest" and complete release from the Roots I enjoyed was"Things Fall Apart". Everything else has been pretty much hit of miss. Which isn't saying they didn't have great music because some of it was.

But their progession as artists was more of an calculated effort to expand their audience base than just artist growth and this started with "Phrenology". Which had great and enjoyable tracks on it even till today.After that, I pretty much have picked and choose the tracks I liked on their last 3 releases than tossed the rest.

Even with that I'm not mad at them for doing what they did to eat.
  • a.mann
    edited September 2011
    Options
    and now of days Thought even more of just an extension of Quest.

When you think NaS you think of a number of things as an artist and lyricist with innumerable classic & timeless quotables

When you think of Black Thought, you think of Questlove's ill mc with the tight flow.

and this is coming from a Roots fan who has been there since "Do You want more??!!"
  • Esiam
    Esiam Banned Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    And the winner is...

nas-is-like-o.gif
  • PPLSIntiative
    PPLSIntiative Members Posts: 222
    edited October 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    and now of days Thought even more of just an extension of Quest.

When you think NaS you think of a number of things as an artist and lyricist with innumerable classic & timeless quotables

When you think of Black Thought, you think of Questlove's ill mc with the tight flow.

and this is coming from a Roots fan who has been there since "Do You want more??!!"

Co-sign.

This post sums it up the best. Nas as a lyricist is superior to Black Thought, but not by much. It's like Alabama and LSU IMO they are that closely ranked.