maintaining and drinking a sixpack at the same time...is this possible?

Options
whatevathehell
whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Weight Room
the stresses of life have driven to me some heavy drinking lately..well beer at least but I still workout...I never had a real defined six pack but since the drinking I have started to notice it get a little shabbier...can I have both at the same time.

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    no..............
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Yep

'splain yo self
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    no. alchohol slows your metabolism down so you gain fat faster.

plus beer has calories
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

plus beer has calories

does alcohol mess with your protein levels...your bodies ability to use protein to build muscle...ol well I knew this ? even before I asked...pour out the 2 beers left over from last night.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nah. Unless you a gym rat.
  • Bussy_Getta
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't drink.... but my homie that I workout with is a heavy drinker.. like beers, clear, and brown. ..he's the guy that did a straight shot of everclear

Anyway, his abs are as good as mine.. and my abs are beautiful yo

Plus look at the situation, Ronnie, etc from Jersey Shore

well ? i change my answer then
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    only if u already have a six-pack, are a gym rat and have a high metabolism but since u said u already dont have one....little to no hope bruh
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    best advice is to boost your metabolism....then u can pretty much eat whatever u want
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    T/S it really boils down to your genetic makeup .....
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    if you already have the leanest and muscular stature to have six pack abs (and not just a skinny dude with abs) and then you start drinking heavy, you may be able to maintain it. But if you are trying to develop your body in order to get the that level (having a six pack) then that ? will be hard as hell. alcohol (and coke, syrup, opiates, etc for that matter) ? off your testosterone levels bad and makes developing muscle very hard. alcohol also shuts down protein synthesis and raises insulin levels until the protein, carbs, fats that you have ingested are more likely stored as fat than used the way they would normally be if you hadn't took the drink. it also dehydrates you and pulls water (glycogen) out of your muscles as well. I drink maybe once every month or two if i go out to a venue or something but I used to drink alot more. from my personal experience it's a lot easier to get my body right without it. the way my body is now, if I started drinking alot more, I doubt that I'd lose what I have, but I also doubt that I could make gains either. also, all bets are off if you doing juice tho.
    if you do wanna drink, the best way to do it is to not eat at least 4 hours prior, load up on vitamins before and after, drink gatorade (electrolytes), and a gallon of water (over time within the next day)
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    To be honest threadstarter... our society protein intake is way more than enough

If your not working out constantly.. extra protien turns into fat.

false...protein and fat are 2 entirely differtent things....
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i have heard stories of cats having both but....
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Man you just gotta work off what you consume im also in the army so my cardio is a lil higher than most ppl..
    But i drink and have abs..
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Not for me, other with ridiculous genetics could probably accomplish this feat however.

Eliminating visceral fat is a ? as it is.

Do a lot of cardio.
  • COUGH DROP
    COUGH DROP Members Posts: 20
    Options
    stay clear of beer...wine is good, i have heard of instances where dudes only drink hard stuff like 151proof 153proof vodka and the like and maintained the six.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    chilly wrote: »
    Nah. Unless you a gym rat.

Came here to say this.

You're going to need to not only burn off the calories you're putting on from the alcohol, but also find a way to get rid of the estrogen that is in the beer. Yes, beer contains phytoestrogens due to the barley. Not only will you lose your abs b, but you'll grow ? . I hear that''s how lady zee got so ?
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the stresses of life have driven to me some heavy drinking lately..well beer at least but I still workout...I never had a real defined six pack but since the drinking I have started to notice it get a little shabbier...can I have both at the same time.

THat's kinda like asking "can I lose weight while eating Long John Silver and KFC every other day. Yes and No. Depends on how much you're drinking and how your fitness routine is.

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its possible but you're making it hard on yourself. My philosophy is to work as hard as you party. So if you want to drink six packs, you better be running miles and doing hundreds of sit ups daily.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

plus beer has calories

does alcohol mess with your protein levels...your bodies ability to use protein to build muscle...ol well I knew this ? even before I asked...pour out the 2 beers left over from last night.

that wouldn't have anything to do with a six pack though. a six pack is visible because of low body fat. you can't really bulk up a 6 pack, but workouts do make it look a bit better.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As an ectomorph I couldn't get rid of my six pack if I tried
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gets a little harder as you get older, but hell yea you can be a drinker and have a six pack, as long as you work hard enough
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U can maintain it but not with beer. Clear liquor since it has less calories than dark liquor and beer. If you plan to drink on your off day of your workout plan, majority of your foods should be lean proteins with little fats and no carbs. Try to eat most of it when your about to drink. If you dont, youll end up pitching in the Jack in the ? late night run. Drink plenty of water before you go to sleep. I did this during a cut.