Aaliyah vs. Brandy - Who is more of an icon?

Options
Pun1sher
Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
edited November 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
I know we all love to immortalize Aaliyah, but I think we tend to forget just how big Brandy was back in the day. We have to look at how their impact plays out in the game currently.

I think it's telling that most of today's top tier stars (Rihanna, Keyshia Cole, Chris Brown, etc) have admitted to either being fans of Brandy, or directly influenced by her in some way...while Aaliyah, on the other hand, doesn't have as many notable artists saying they were inspired, as much as she is revered as someone who died while on the cusp of greatness.

What say ye?

Comments

• kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I prefer Aaliyah's voice, but Brandy did have some hits. I'm a fan of both.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    neither, both of them ? had wack ass singing voices.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I dont see people walking around with brandy shirts on....but as far as voice goes there about neck and neck
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I dont see people walking around with brandy shirts on....but as far as voice goes there about neck and neck

no beuno ! ! !
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ICON ? WTF ? using their names in the same sentence as ICON is disrespectful to real ICONS
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    ICON ? WTF ? using their names in the same sentence as ICON is disrespectful to real ICONS

What's a "real" icon?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    2132449.gif

Hol up, Moesha sings?
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    neither, both of them ? had wack ass singing voices.

...damn ? , eat a ?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Neither was an Icon or close to it, but Aaliyah was the better between the 2
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    icon: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something...
    Aaliyah >>>
    Brandy had like 2 dope songs...
    Aaliyah had mad joints and she was at the top when she passed...

At the top of what?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    neither was an ICON or stood for anything though...
  • Topps
    Topps Members Posts: 447
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I will say Aaliyah, because all the redbones/yellowbones copied Aaliyah style and most still do. From her hair, appeal and everything.

She was like the lightskin hoes hero.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the singing ass ? game...

Lol........
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Pun1sher wrote: »
    I know we all love to immortalize Aaliyah, but I think we tend to forget just how big Brandy was back in the day. We have to look at how their impact plays out in the game currently.

I think it's telling that most of today's top tier stars (Rihanna, Keyshia Cole, Chris Brown, etc) have admitted to either being fans of Brandy, or directly influenced by her in some way...while Aaliyah, on the other hand, doesn't have as many notable artists saying they were inspired, as much as she is revered as someone who died while on the cusp of greatness.

What say ye?

The fact that Drake and J. Cole, neither of whom are R&B artists are directly influenced by Aaliyah, speaks volumes of Aaliyah's legacy. She was sampled by artists just shortly after One In A Million was released. She's also been listed as an influence of Rihanna. She's even been cited as an influence on Brandy (see Afrodisiac). Keri Hilson and Ciara are also obvious offsprings of Aaliyah.

Brandy's record sales and arguably her voice>>>>> Aaliyah, but one could make a good argument that Aaliyah's more of an icon musically.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    but I think we tend to forget just how big Brandy was back in the day. We have to look at how their impact plays out in the game currently.

Brandy sold a lot of records in the 90's just like teh Black street Boys sold a lot of records but not exactly iconic!

A Icon is somebody that it idolized not just by the fans but by there peers and the critics. They score a 10 on all 3 of those view points and they hold up well against Father Time!
    Aaliyah's work with Timbaland is iconic!!

Are You That Somebody
    One In A Million
    Try Again
    If Your Girl Only New

It was a sound that made what was Hip Hop and what was R&B completely indistinguishable... especially One In A Million in 1996!. Its timing is like a Ballad but them beats, pop, and twerk like a rap song and it was copied by EVERYONE after that.. like Usher in Nice And Slow the year after it dropped! The Chemistry between Aaliyah and Timbo was a certain magic you cant predict or create its just there!

Brandy had her time but her archives are nowhere near in the category of Aaliyahs contribution and significance!
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the singing ass ? game...

Actually, she wasn't.

And if she was, feel free to tell us who Aaliyah was outselling and out-charting at that time...because I can't think of not ONE ? who she was ? on...
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Brandy sold a lot of records in the 90's just like teh Black street Boys sold a lot of records but not exactly iconic!

A Icon is somebody that it idolized not just by the fans but by there peers and the critics. They score a 10 on all 3 of those view points and they hold up well against Father Time!
    Aaliyah's work with Timbaland is iconic!!

Are You That Somebody
    One In A Million
    Try Again
    If Your Girl Only New

It was a sound that made what was Hip Hop and what was R&B completely indistinguishable... especially One In A Million in 1996!. Its timing is like a Ballad but them beats, pop, and twerk like a rap song and it was copied by EVERYONE after that.. like Usher in Nice And Slow the year after it dropped! The Chemistry between Aaliyah and Timbo was a certain magic you cant predict or create its just there!

Brandy had her time but her archives are nowhere near in the category of Aaliyahs contribution and significance!

Just exactly what type of impact did One In a Million have on the game? Let's get a little more into specifics...

And to my recollection, it was What's the 411 that made what was hip hop and what was r&b completely indistinguishable...not One in a Million...
  • Esiam
    Esiam Banned Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    If Aaliyah hadn't died I'm not sure if people would have been talking about her today tbh, Brandy not sure if she's much of an icon either though, I prefer Brandy's music
  • smoothballa81
    smoothballa81 Members Posts: 157
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Aaliyah And Brandy as Icon's are hilarious. ICONS are Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Luther Vandross, MJB(Almost There) R.Kelly, Luther Vandross, Issac Hayes, M.J, Prince, James Brown, John Lennon, Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan.

Brandy And Aaliyah were successful performers. But, they did not change music.
  • smoothballa81
    smoothballa81 Members Posts: 157
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Beyonce And Alicia Keys are on the way to iconic status. I forgot to add Tina Turner and Madonna
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Beyonce And Alicia Keys are on the way to iconic status. I forgot to add Tina Turner and Madonna

No Sir ! ! ! ! !
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Beyonce is an icon.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    What's a "real" icon?

Aretha Franklin, Anita Baker , Sade, Billie Holiday . Those are " real " icons. Brandy and Aaliyah are just ? that sing
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Aaliyah And Brandy as Icon's are hilarious. ICONS are Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Luther Vandross, MJB(Almost There) R.Kelly, Luther Vandross, Issac Hayes, M.J, Prince, James Brown, John Lennon, Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan.

Brandy And Aaliyah were successful performers. But, they did not change music.

Who said icons have to change music? You guys seem to be talking "legends"...but I never implied that Aaliyah and Brandy were legendary...